Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Saturn no longer a carmaker
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flipb
The Penske-Saturn deal has fallen through because Penske couldn't find another manufacturer from whom to source cars after 2011.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/09/30/news/compa...sion=2009093019

Saturn sold some of GM's best products for the US market over the past 15 years (along with some duds too), including perhaps the best daily driver I've ever owned.

Damn shame that GM pretty much strangled "the Saturn experiment" in its adolescence. Turning it into Opel's US arm was a promising rebound. Oh well.
URY914
So I should cancel my plans for a Saturn powered 914???
Ferg
Hype mobiles... I never drank the kool aid, not going to be missed. Kudos to Marketing.

I will give them some credit for starting to swing how customers were treated at dealerships.

Ferg
zymurgist
What's the status of Uranus?
URY914
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Oct 1 2009, 10:35 AM) *

What's the status of Uranus?

Mine's feelin' fine. Thanks for asking. shades.gif
zymurgist
Seriously folks... I thought Saturn was a pretty cool name for a car company... but then again, I was a Star Trek geek from an early age and I wanted a Jupiter 8.

IPB Image
Cupomeat
Yes, it was a great name for a car company and the ideas were great, they just failed to produce a quality product that was competitive WITHOUT the gimmick of no haggle pricing.

Besides the Opel stuff of late, I never drove a saturn that was worth anything.

Shame on GM for doing this to itself.
Dr Evil
I love my 05 VUE. The engine is Honda, as far as I know, though. 250hp V6 AWD, plastic dent proof body panels.
zymurgist
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 1 2009, 02:46 PM) *

plastic dent proof body panels

Saturn was ahead of the curve with these. I remember when Saturns came out, it was a major selling point. "No more parking lot dings!"

Meanwhile, I'm still parking my steel Acura off by itself in the parking lot. Painful memories of a huge dent in the quarter panel of my Neon.
ruddyboys
Had an SW2 with 185,000 and never need any service. It constantly got 40mi/gal, too bad it was ugly.
jsayre914
when did we lose pluto???
WTF.gif
Ferg
You should see them get bumped in Winter time. I've seen 2 panels nearly explode when it's cold, they shatter.

zymurgist
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Oct 1 2009, 03:01 PM) *

when did we lose pluto???
WTF.gif

Ask this guy.

IPB Image
Drums66
I heard it !......I try not to look at them
especially the litttle fake convertible
sports poop. bs.gif
tod914
What's to become of Uranus?
Drums66
Pluto I would miss But............Uranus you can
keep it! LOL
ericread
Actually, I'm sadder about losing Pluto as a planet.

I used to teach Astronomy and Physics at a Planetarium in Reno back in the mid-70's. One by one, every thing I used to teach has been disproven confused24.gif

As for the POS Saturn I owned for a few years, that thing never did run right. I finally drove it off a cliff (figuratively) when it couldn't meet emission controls and Nevada refused to register it.

At least Pluto never cost me any money laugh.gif

Eric Read

flipb
I bought a new LS1 in its first model year, 2000. This was the mid-size Saturn. (Anybody remember the ads: "The next Big thing from Saturn"?) Ordered it in Silver with black interior, ABS with TCS, sunroof, most options... but stuck with the 137hp 4cyl in order to get a stick. It used a Saab 5-speed transmission from the GM parts bin.

That car gave me virtually no trouble, got 28-32 mpg, handled New England winters incredibly well, and was fun to drive. Not terribly quick, although I once got it to 105 at around 4am on I-95. I let it go after 7 years with 97K miles.

Never once left me stranded - even after sitting in a snowy parking lot for 2 weeks. And the seats were all-day comfortable with decent bolstering for a sedan.

GeorgeRud
I once rented a Vue, and it seemed to work OK (however an interior trim piece did fall off during the week we had it). I imagine that Penske would have made them better than GM in the long-run. He's not known as a bad businessman, and has certainly earned all the automotive honors that can be earned.

I only wonder why GM decided to kill off the Pontiac brand, and kept Buick? Just wait till we start getting products from the new GM (Government Motors?). I think of all the retired, great engineers that have worked there that must be just shaking their heads in disbelief of what's happening. But then, remember that there were many, many more manufacturers in the early days of automobiles. In the end, only the strong seem to survive.
URY914
If the Penske sale had gone thru he who have raced a Saturn at Indy.
Ferg
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 1 2009, 12:34 PM) *

I once rented a Vue, and it seemed to work OK (however an interior trim piece did fall off during the week we had it). I imagine that Penske would have made them better than GM in the long-run. He's not known as a bad businessman, and has certainly earned all the automotive honors that can be earned.

I only wonder why GM decided to kill off the Pontiac brand, and kept Buick? Just wait till we start getting products from the new GM (Government Motors?). I think of all the retired, great engineers that have worked there that must be just shaking their heads in disbelief of what's happening. But then, remember that there were many, many more manufacturers in the early days of automobiles. In the end, only the strong seem to survive.

Buick made the cut due to it's overseas demand, it is very big in China
So the Saturn's just like the Pontiac's before them have now become collector's item's almost overnight....

Let's see if many Saturn's make it to 35 yrs old like our rusty, er I mean trusty, little cars did.

Nothing but Chevy and Caddy will be left when all is said and done at GM...JMHO

KP

Oh and thank you Ford for not taking my tax dollars yet.....
flipb
QUOTE(Ferg @ Oct 1 2009, 04:43 PM) *

Buick made the cut due to it's overseas demand, it is very big in China

I know they had their reason for keeping Buick, but it just seems so wrong for Buick to outlast Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saturn...

On the other hand, I'm pretty psyched about the future of another spun-off GM subsidiary.
Saab, meet your new Daddy:
IPB Image
URY914
They have to keep making replacement parts for 7 years I think. It's a federal law IIRC.
biosurfer1
QUOTE(Ferg @ Oct 1 2009, 12:01 PM) *

You should see them get bumped in Winter time. I've seen 2 panels nearly explode when it's cold, they shatter.

Funny you said this, because not 2 hours later I came across this picture biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

lotus_65
i think it's a shame penske couldn't pull it off.
he might be the only guy i'd buy an american car from.
sad day for u.s., imo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.