Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LE - WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
advtracing
HI GUYS,
Newbie here again , i have the 914 home and will take some more photos today , but what colour would have been sprayed in to the dash area during production ?
undercoat colour and top colour /

Now i'll tell you why .... under the dash top is black ... but under the black when gently scraped away is lime yellow/green
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(advtracing @ Oct 2 2009, 03:26 PM) *

HI GUYS,
Newbie here again , i have the 914 home and will take some more photos today , but what colour would have been sprayed in to the dash area during production ?

Now i'll tell you why .... under the dash top is black ... but under the black when gently scraped away is lime yellow/green

I learned that during production, the dash was painted whatever color was handy. It had no relation to the color of the body.
advtracing
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Oct 3 2009, 12:28 PM) *

QUOTE(advtracing @ Oct 2 2009, 03:26 PM) *

HI GUYS,

I learned that during production, the dash was painted whatever color was handy. It had no relation to the color of the body.

cheers
SLITS
Get the vin and send it to Jeff Bowlsby or check his site for the range of vins. It has to be a '74.
JRust
What to look for on an LE?
1st check the front spoiler/air damn.
If it's an original LE airdamin it will be injection molded. meaning on each end there are 2 holes where they shot the injection in. Also it has 2 extra mounting tabs on the bottom about 1/3rd from each end. Most importantly the car will have these 2 tabs coming out for those to mount too. Also the OE LE air damn has a stamp in the middle on the backside with numbers.
2nd The targa bar vinyl doesn't exist. If there are no holes there & they haven't been filled that is another indication.
3rd It is loaded so it should have front & rear sways, 2.0 motor, fog lights, center console with gages. Rear window defrost was an addition. some had it some didn't.
4th Only wat to bee sure is to get a COA. Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche. It will list it as a LE Can Am car. My COA showed my engine number along with the vin, paint code & such.
5th Should have 4lug Mahle wheels. They would either be yellow or Pheonix red
advtracing
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 3 2009, 12:36 PM) *

Get the vin and send it to Jeff Bowlsby or check his site for the range of vins. It has to be a '74.

i have listed the vin in the data base, it fall in the LE area and the car is a 74, it does have the front spolier with centre gap and as noted in a earlyer thread of mine and green negitive script.
colour code is L80E . BUT it has targa bar vinyl with trim and fuchs .
rolleyes.gif
SLITS
Vinyl on the sail panels with the brightwork strip running along the bottom?

After 35 years and who knows how many owners, things could have been changed.

And Porsche supposedly never imported cars to the "Land Down Under" area.
JRust
QUOTE(advtracing @ Oct 2 2009, 05:11 PM) *

i have listed the vin in the data base, it fall in the LE area and the car is a 74, it does have the front spolier with centre gap and as noted in a earlyer thread of mine and green negitive script.
rolleyes.gif

The Grasshopper LE is a myth anyway. There is nowhere Porsche has that color code as a Can Am option from what I understand. I think there may be a possibility that a few had Fuchs on them. None of them had Vinyl trim but that could have been added. More likely they tried to make it look like an LE than the other way around confused24.gif
JeffBowlsby
May be an interesting find...I looked in the VIN list could not locate it. Can you post your VIN and a few photos here?

rolleyes.gif

advtracing
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 3 2009, 02:01 PM) *

May be an interesting find...I looked in the VIN list could not locate it. Can you post your VIN and a few photos here?

rolleyes.gif

check this link for photos of the vin etc,,,
http://s359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/ad...mview=slideshow

and the under dash paint color in the photo attached .
The garage is abit chocker with parts and cars , so once i have sorted and moved the parts to storage No. 2 i'll get better all over photos
championgt1
Here is the underside of my dash. Factory Olympic blue car.

Click to view attachment

advtracing
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Oct 3 2009, 05:13 PM) *

Click to view attachment

interesting , vw quirk i guess . With the 911's i have around this time it's always black undercoat with semi black top coat on the dash area's
JeffBowlsby
Actually your cars VIN falls outside the VIN range of LE cars, the lst VIN is 16764. See teh note on the LE Registry for VIN 16764. It is possible that your car may have the LE paint scheme which is code U2V9 for a Creamsicle, some of the cars right after the LE VINs had the LE paint scheme only, but not the equipment. Getting a COA would be the only way to verify.

Oddly, I see orange paint in unusual places for an L80E car - on the back wall of the inside of the cabin, under the rocker covers. confused24.gif

rolleyes.gif

advtracing
QUOTE(advtracing @ Oct 3 2009, 05:39 PM) *

QUOTE(championgt1 @ Oct 3 2009, 05:13 PM) *

Click to view attachment

interesting , vw quirk i guess . With the 911's i have around this time it's always black undercoat with semi black top coat on the dash area's

Hi, i belived the number was in the number range based on the vin data base details on this site were the back ground is yellow and LE numbers are shown before and after my listing , is this incorrect?
SirAndy
QUOTE(advtracing @ Oct 3 2009, 11:21 AM) *

Hi, i belived the number was in the number range based on the vin data base details on this site were the back ground is yellow and LE numbers are shown before and after my listing , is this incorrect?

Good question! When i coded the VIN database here on this site, i used Bowlsby's range numbers for the background coloring.

Jeff, has the known to be good range for LE cars changed since i implemented the VIN database?
idea.gif Andy
JeffBowlsby
I can see why you were led to belive that, but that colored info on this site's VIN index is not current. We only dioscovered a few months ago, from direct communtications with PCNA, that the first 914 LE VIN was 14348 and the last is 16764. The later VINs after 16374 shown on the registry have the correct paint code for a 914, but no the equipment. At least that is what PCNA is telling us that their factory records indicate.

http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/

This is the 914 LE website with the Registry which is current. Check out the 914 LE webpage on the site and review the 'Personal Porsche' information at the bottom of th e page...that may describe how your car came to look the way it does with the green stripe If you want to be certain, you will need to get a COA.
advtracing
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 4 2009, 08:45 AM) *

I can see why you were led to belive that, but that colored info on this site's VIN index is not current. We only dioscovered a few months ago, from direct communtications with PCNA, that the first 914 LE VIN was 14348 and the last is 16764. The later VINs after 16374 shown on the registry have the correct paint code for a 914, but no the equipment. At least that is what PCNA is telling us that their factory records indicate.

This is the 914 LE website with the Registry which is current. Check out the 914 LE webpage on the site and review the 'Personal Porsche' information at the bottom of th e page...that may describe how your car came to look the way it does with the green stripe If you want to be certain, you will need to get a COA.

Thnaks Jeff, that clears that up . I will obtain the coa in the next few months but i doubt that it will show an LE . i couldn't find ref to the green script on the link you provided , i'm guessing that it ref to dealerships installing them themselves?
JeffBowlsby
There is not much on the 914 LE website about the white/green trim car...because it does not exist... biggrin.gif Below is the letter from Porsche AG documenting that. Also something else I noticed about your green stripes...they are a dark green. Porsche only offered 1 color of green stripe, which was more of a lime green, as an aftermarklet accessory. See the color below, maybe your was a custom stripe a previous owner had made?

QUOTE(advtracing @ Oct 3 2009, 01:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 4 2009, 08:45 AM) *

Thnaks Jeff, that clears that up . I will obtain the coa in the next few months but i doubt that it will show an LE . i couldn't find ref to the green script on the link you provided , i'm guessing that it ref to dealerships installing them themselves?
advtracing
Well just in , details off the porsche data base through porsche new zealand , she's a stocker..

Details are:

model 914
year 1974
built 01/05/1974
colour light ivory B8V9
Del USA C02
options 567=windscreen tinted,compound glass, 570=additional seatcushion between seats

hissyfit.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.