Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: suby turbo , the epic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
arkitect
Greg,
Cool build. With your older picts of your rotiesere (sp?) you mounted each end flat without attaching the two ends. Did it stay pretty stable, any problems?

Dave
d914
no problems, but it also didnt have casters on it so it just stayed put..
charliew
Greg I was looking at the turbo and thought about the restrictor that goes in the oil line to the turbo. Are you using one? We had to use a smaller one on my sons sti because we used a 12mm oil pump with a external pressure regulator and the oil pressure was higher so we had to change to a smaller restrictor to the turbo line to keep from blowing the seal or pumping oil through the turbo.
d914
I got the line from outback,,,its like a dash 3 or 4 and a -10 as the drain. I also retained stock oil pump.. The engine is bone stock w the exception of elimination of unneede sub systems.. The engine itself is a roll of the dice on life span... I see a rebuilt short block in my future!!
Brett W
Bout time you get something done. I thought this car was a myth. HAHA.

Looking good. Yours will probably beat mine. Too many other projects ahead of it.
d914
your right even I was begining to think it was a myth!! smile.gif
Zaney
Nice engine cradle!

What do you plan for a shifting system? beer3.gif
AndyB
What hotrod wiring harness did you end up going with?
d914
shifting is going to be a cable shifter, 90's honda accord shifter, hardware via Bigkat83..

The wireharness is the Highway 22.. The fuse box allows for connections at fuse box. it allows you to wire the car from both directions. Alot of them come with the wires attached to the fuse box..

http://www.route66supply.com/store/page109.html
AndyB
QUOTE(d914 @ Nov 5 2010, 11:52 AM) *

shifting is going to be a cable shifter, 90's honda accord shifter, hardware via Bigkat83..

The wireharness is the Highway 22.. The fuse box allows for connections at fuse box. it allows you to wire the car from both directions. Alot of them come with the wires attached to the fuse box..

http://www.route66supply.com/store/page109.html

Thanks for the quick reply. Are you completely wired now? How was the installation?
d914
Im going to re-paint,,, was going to be this weekend, but it just got real cold,,,, I'll try heating the garage, otherwise we start that next weekend..

aftermarket computer,,, stinger
electronic dash
Half of the stock stuff gone

It made the most sense,, We will wire it like the harness asks for vs trying to copy the porsche design..
d914
my experimental hood.. Its a little wavey!! but since its going to have the GT style gas opening and pinned down..I just have to get it close.

Click to view attachment
d914
Click to view attachment
d914
did some painting this weekend.. not perfect but no orange peel this time around..

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Mike Bellis
I like the idea of your hood. I'm concerned that you don't have enough surface area open for proper cooling. You may need more louvers. calculate the square area open side of the louvers. subtract the square area of your opening. You need a 2:1, exhaust:intake for proper air flow. That way you create negative pressure on the outlet side of your radiator.
d914
I will, but we have done some checking and over all i think we have overestimated the amout of flow needed.. small four cylinder when at rest with a nascar radiator!! We are starting out with no thermosat but a restrictor plate.. the louvers are about 3x1x46.. worst case my backup will be a large vented hood like som other high horse power v8 have done.. or a few more louvers..thanks I love the questions,,,keeps me thinking..by the front opening is about 4x18...
d914
painted and putting the flares on!!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
d914
one side done, came out reasonably well concidering who was doing the work!! beer.gif

Click to view attachment
d914
Went to bob's (bigkat) and borrowed the soda blaster to refinish my wheels..

before:

Click to view attachment

after,, Im pretty happy with the turn out..

Click to view attachment

Britain Smith
Why no thermostat? Are you worried it will take forever to get warmed up properly?

-Britain
Andyrew
Greg, its looking great so far!

I however agree you need about 2x what you have in terms of louvers...

The total area of your louvers is about how big my total opening size is on my hood...
d914
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Nov 16 2010, 12:53 AM) *

Why no thermostat? Are you worried it will take forever to get warmed up properly?

-Britain

I hav a restrctor plate from outback... They seem to feel that will be fine..if not I can alwasy go to one...Its not exactly cold here much and I"m thinking of having a hand throttle like the -6's have for those cold morning occasions.. I:m putting the hand brake in the console and can use one of the heat leavers for the throttle
(911 hand brake)

d914
ok been awhile but I have been working.. Four years ago it was to be forward facing intake with a air to air intercooler..now...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Now I have two radiators!!! Best laid plans of mice and men.. Alot of redesign these days!!
BIGKAT_83
Looking good lets see some pictures of the gas tank.

Should have stayed for second day of welding class,got both of the water header tanks done. Fred sure can weld.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Bob
Britain Smith
Very nice man.

-Britain
GS Guy
Where did you source the turbo cover? Looks good! I've been looking for a good turbo cover to keep the heat down, still haven't found anything I'm too excited about.
d914
stock cover.. Stainless steel.. I just need to modify w a couple attachment points.. Otherwise ebay has turbo blankets for about a $100..
Cusco has a SS cover also.
Mike Bellis
I'm using an air to water intercooler too. I haven't decided where to put the radiator. Did you run hoses up front? I have to run an oil cooler with my rotary. Not sure how many hoses I want to run forward. I may rig a small radiator in the rear fender well for the intercooler.
d914
there is always a small oil cooler off the engine bar hanging down a little to catch some air
d914
The long EPIC continues.. 6 maybe 7 years into it... Life does get in the way..

We move the car to Bob's house.... Thank GOD for bob or this car would never get done!!

Click to view attachment

Here it sits in its new home..

Click to view attachment

The engine is wired, plumbed and has the fuel lines in place..

Need a different Fuel press reg.. old one doesnt match up to he new fuel rails..
d914
Radiator is in and plumbed..

Click to view attachment

Re-designed the intercooler set up ... much neater, Thanks BOB!!

Click to view attachment

d914
Wiring is 70% done... using hot rod Harness and with a couple relays,, again Bob, got the headlights to work as advertised..

Need to wire in electronic dash, rear lights and brakes... Finish connections to dash..

Needs Brakes.. Wilwood up front,, SC rears in the back..

Needs exhaust.

Shifter cables, axles and finish fuel hook ups to the gas tank.....Then we can at least make some noise!!!!
d914
answers from the past...

I believe I will be using a thermostat vs. the restrictor plate... warming up would have been am issue..

Hood will be re-done with more louvers.. I'm going to strip the frame from another hood and have the louvers punched in and then reattach the frame... no warping and more flexibility on numbers of louvers..
d914
Did I forget to mention BOB!! otherwise known as BIGKAT.....He has taught me more, put with my mouth , my crazy ideas and has invested his personal time to help me!!!!

Thank you... The end is in site and we get to have some fun and go back to the track to burn up some tires!!
d914
shifter in .. We need to reinforce the console some.. there is some movement in the sheet metal and trim som un-needed pieces from the shifter.. Shifts great,, a few adjustments and final touches and mark one more thiing off the list!!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JFJ914
Looking good, Greg!
blitZ
Coming along nicely. What fuel pump did you use?
d914
Walpro mounted in the tank using the Suby sept up,, modified the tank.. Also added fuel level sensor from my electronic dash.

Last weekend added a tomei fuel reg.. After market fuel rail didn't like the Suby one....
d914
Played with the car a little today.

installed Racer Chris Swing arm Brackets
installed Rebel racing mono balls for the front struts
Built and test fitted custom axles ( half suby/half Porsche)
Mocked up the modified dash

pics a little later
d914
sorry only blurry shots of this..

Click to view attachment
d914
New shocks,, Rebel racing tops, UB Machine bottom. Bilsteins with coil overs.

Click to view attachment
d914
Finally on the ground and headed home for finishing.. Bob, Bigkat ,has been a great help.. Now back to my little garage for some late nights and long weekends to finish..

Click to view attachment

d914
Still needs to be adjusted.. a bit lop sided....

Click to view attachment
d914
we tried on one of Bob's 17x10's on my car.... Damn they look good...

Click to view attachment
d914
these will be going on.. 17x9 , 17x8..

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.