Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: suby turbo , the epic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
d914
been working on my project for awhile now,, read a long time!!!!..latest update..she's not naked any longer...2 years of bare metal and now I started spraying...... First time.. I'm handling the primer on my own.. wacko.gif

Bigkat is traveling for work or some lame excuse!! beer.gif

He will be handling the final hot rod black..

acid etch primer and the gray primer

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
d914
flares will have welting and be riveted on.. again fimal color, hotrod black..

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
d914
seats,,,ultra shield rally

Click to view attachment

d914
trunks, bottom and engine bay undercoated..

Click to view attachment

nomore9one4
Nice project Greg! Are those the wider GT flares? Do you remember where you bought them? They look like a nice fit. Did you get the rocker covers to match? Can't wait to see it with paint. smile.gif
d914
yes normal are 7 and 9,, these are 9 and 12..various sources including AA for the rockers,, I believe they are AIR..

turbo suby with the suby 5 speed for a little punch..
nomore9one4
QUOTE(d914 @ Oct 4 2009, 02:16 PM) *

yes normal are 7 and 9,, these are 9 and 12..various sources including AA for the rockers,, I believe they are AIR..

turbo suby with the suby 5 speed for a little punch..

Very nice choices! Thanks for the info. I will sit back and wait for the paint. driving.gif
d914
for old time sake...the engine..

Click to view attachment
d914
a little mock up to keep me going..

Click to view attachment

pktzygt
For a while it was looking like you were going to keep sanding the rust and run out of metal before you got some primer on there.

As usual the suby guys are inspiring me to get mine put back together.

When I get mine done, I'm going to have to check yours out. I'm in your neck of the woods every so often.
ghuff
What is that shifter setup? That looks delightfully better than the factory piece.
d914
Im using the suby tranny with a honda cable shifter from an accord..
quadracerx
Excellent job.....Keep up the good work....Im trying to find the wider steel flares like you have? Cant seem to locate them.....Tried Auto Atlanta and the Pelican but cant seem to locate them....Can you help? They are actually for a friend....but ill need a set once business picks up...... aktion035.gif

Thanks....this board is the best....

Steve
carr914
I don't think you will find those wider flares in steel. The factory steel flares were narrower and the wide ones have been made in F/G by aftermarket companies

T.C.
d914
mind are fg...tried to convince the son to go steel flares to no avail... You can get 9 in rims and 255's on the small flares...That will handle quite a bit of power..
d914
QUOTE(pktzygt @ Oct 4 2009, 09:35 PM) *

For a while it was looking like you were going to keep sanding the rust and run out of metal before you got some primer on there.

I did get yelled at for polishing the car!!! It was tuff pulling the trigger to put paint on the car...So long getting to bare metal....I played with the idea of just clear coating the car!! drunk.gif
d914
primed, sanded, bondo'd, trial fit the rockers, primed and I'll probably sand some more...I think Im slowly getting this body work thing..

The rockers are close.. I need to trim a little more metal and a second pair of hands would help with final placement of the flares..

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

d914
ok long time and no update, I finisged body work, did final mock up on flares and drilled likea thousand holes!! riveting on.. and broke out the paint gun unsupervised!!!!...

I know I have a couple fixes on the fares and Im sure I do on the car since Im verically challegned!! They will just have t wait until tomorrow!!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Gint
That's cool... smilie_pokal.gif
d914
definitly some touch up do,,daylight is not your friend!!!! Not too bad for my first attempt.. Mainly the flares need some follow up.. Here is some shots with the flares on with a cleco..

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Zardozz
I'm about to throw some FG flares on my car. I'm watching intensely how you do it... smile.gif
d914
Im not going for a smooth polished finish,, hotrod black, vw fender welting and about 130 large head black rivets.. You can see all the holes!! Aluminum ralley seats, minimal interior..

Car is to be street and track oriented..

d914
went parts hunting in NASCAR country and came up with a deal on a 14 x 30 C&R radiator for $250!!

Also picked up some used ROCK Batteries form Roush Racing.. Drycell type.. One large and one small...Both for $50.....I'll try them out and see whats left in them.. They use them for 2 races and then call it a day.. They also had all kinds of used oil coolers and oil tanks cheap.. Most of the stuff is way too big for us..but there are a few diamonds out there...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
BIGKAT_83
Let see some pictures of the ROCK battery. Thats a hell of a good price those batteries are 300 to 400 new.

Can't wait to see that thing on the ground with some wheels on it.

Bob piratenanner.gif
d914
Merry christmas to me... I did a little more negoiating today and picked up an older version of a race dash w/ data logging for less than the street dash!!

Click to view attachment

Function Summary
Speed (mph / km/h selectable) (Maximum of 250mph or 400 Km/h)
RPM (up to 25,000)
Engaged Gear (calculation based)
Water Temperature (in ºC or ºF)
Oil Temperature (in ºC or ºF)
Oil Pressure (in PSI or BAR)
Auxiliary Pressure (fuel or boost)
Fuel Level (% Remaining in Tank)
Battery Voltage
2 axis G-sensor
Race/Track day lap timer with up to 32 split times
Elapsed race timer
Programmable Shift Lights (3 Modes of Operation)
Datalogger (17.3Mb)
Selectable Sample Rate for Recording Data (10-20Hz)
Brake System Usage logging
Programmable Warning Alarms
Maximum (Peak) Value Hold memory on all parameters
Odometer (total & trip counter)
Acceleration / Deceleration timer
Engine Hour Counter
Trip Distance Timer
Built-in SVA Compliant Warning Lights
BHP calculator
Technical Specifications
Operating Voltage - 8-16v
Max Power Consumption 400mA
Dimensions:
Datalogger Box - 120mm x 110mm x 36mmDisplay - 160.4mm x 89.8mm x 28mm
Weight - 600g
Ingress Protection Rating - IP54

d914
finally off the rotiserre(sp)!!!!! Still needs some paint work but she is on the floor again.. in between finishing the paint I can start to bolt things back together!!!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

slowly but surly making progress....
d914
got my dash

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
d914
fnally saw some day light and started playing with the pieces.. Still ordering some parts.. The struts go out next to raise the spindles..

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

d914
Just a little update:

Picked up another AL seat at Hershey on the cheap!!

Dropped off my struts to Chris to raise my spindles while I was there

Cut the front bumper and set off the fire alarms getting all the bondo off that thing... I have a couple of other ideas for it.

P/u fan shrouds from juck yard and trimmrd to fit my radiator,,,, $30 gotta luv pull apart!!

Ordered some more little engine pieces from outfront... My parts room looks "Marvelous"!!!!!

Smoothed and primered the rear bumper..

Click to view attachment

and looking at these for venting the hot air through my hood

Click to view attachment
d914
Ive been distracted by

Click to view attachment

Went to the Mitty,,, to lazy to down size my pics!!!

I also went to the High Museum for their car exibit, but no flash and the film wastnt fast enough to get good shots!! Tried with my old film shooter!!
d914
still buying parts and sanding.....did I mention I hate sanding!!

Bought the pcv breathing set up,, bypass feeding back into intake.

lighter crank pulley

Going the circle track shop on Mon to if they have some coil overs for my koni reds and any deals on brakes.. They are getting out of that business.. Cash discounts!!

JDM spec fuel rail for side feed injectors, a little bling and a little simplifing the fuel system...besides I like -6 vs hose clamps,, I'll have one out back and two upfront.. My breakpoints will be -6.

Click to view attachment
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(d914 @ May 23 2010, 03:12 PM) *

still buying parts and sanding.....did I mention I hate sanding!!

Bought the pcv breathing set up,, bypass feeding back into intake.

lighter crank pulley

Going the circle track shop on Mon to if they have some coil overs for my koni reds and any deals on brakes.. They are getting out of that business.. Cash discounts!!

JDM spec fuel rail for side feed injectors, a little bling and a little simplifing the fuel system...besides I like -6 vs hose clamps,, I'll have one out back and two upfront.. My breakpoints will be -6.

Click to view attachment

Nice oil filler cap.... rolleyes.gif
d914
mercy post!!!! By the way I still suck at painting!!! The only thing I can seam to manage is a beautiful textured ORANGE PEEL.... Im a frigging artist at it!!!!!!!

When I get done sanding either you or someone is going to paint this sucker....#@#&*%^^&&*&$$%^^&**^&%$$!!!!!!!!!! But not me!!!!!
charliew
Try thinning the paint more. Usually the paint is going on in too big of drops when it is op too much. Try more air pressure also, a long hose really lowers the pressure. Are you using a 3/8 id air hose and how long is the hose. Turn up the pressure at the outlet at the tank and adjust the regulator at the gun. If the paint is setting up too quick and not leveling out, because of higher temps, use a slower reducer or thinner. Course you've got to sand the op off for a smoother next coat. You will waste a lot of paint sanding most of it off. Mix up smaller amounts of paint and experiment with it till you get it right before you paint the whole thing.
d914
ok its been awhile....Test drove Bob's car....its true its true!!! The suby tranny with a cable shifter is a sheer hoot....

Ok I have been doing small stuff and hunting down hardware after 4 years!! Can you explain how the tie down clamp for the front strut ended up in my bathroom!!!!

I but steering rack together and trial fit the front end. I also trial fit the rear swing arms so I could mount some tires!!

Slowly but surely tracking down all of the hardware.. Those flairs just ate up my eights!!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
d914
my revolutions.... I have 4 fuchs 8x15 for track... Street I'll need some 17x9 or 10's..

I sanded down all the orange peel from the first time around.. I'm going to wait a bit before I respray... Im a clumsy as hell so I'll get closer to all the main work done befor I paint again.. Plus it will be a bit cooler..

Click to view attachment
d914
oh,,, new turbo tie rods, and yes the $10 bike wrench works great. new ball joints, all new bushings, raised spindles..
Britain Smith
Do you have an pictures of your engine cradle?

-Britain
d914
I will this weekend. I have to pull it, sand it amd paint.. I'm not sure this was the easiest approach. This was our first attempt, then put to the side for a while. We did Bobs 3.3 six then resumed and finished mine.. Bob's is a three piece unit versus my one...

I think if we did another it might be the small car bracket plus our fabed tranny mounts...It would save alot of time..

Click to view attachment
d914
engine bar done and being sanded and painted

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

upside down

d914
picked up a set of three piece wheels...16" 8&9's... unknown manufacturer..

only info on back... Made in Japan....F-206

Im going to paint the centers black,,, and give the rest a good cleaning

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

d914
engine in and mocked up two ways..

First intake forward.. To do this must move alternator( I have the bracket) raise the turbo and run a 180 turn in the intercooler.
Click to view attachment

the other is to run with intake to the rear.. I think I have room of the pipes.. I can still raise the turbo a little , to make pipe angles easier, and hvae a 180 in the back with a straight thru intercooler..

Click to view attachment

d914
engine bar back in

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Hontec
Looking real good!

Is that an outfront motorsports header?
d914
yes, They also have a lot of little stufff, block offs and such thats not on their web site..

and thanks... Im still not worthy!!! smile.gif and my garage is a mess!!
Hontec
QUOTE(d914 @ Oct 31 2010, 09:12 PM) *

yes, They also have a lot of little stufff, block offs and such thats not on their web site..

and thanks... Im still not worthy!!! smile.gif and my garage is a mess!!

Haha lol! It looks clean!!!

Been looking at the Outfront header too, it's Nice and shallow. Seems to be almost the exact height of the lowest part of the tranny.

My intensions are to mount my engine and tranny as high as you did so nothing protrudes from the bottom. I also want to extend the bottom of the cabin all the way to the end, completely flat
d914
I took out the engine tray to keep things clean and give some better access.. I could so something like that and use fasteners to drop out of the way for service...uummmm phase 2... I need this thing on the ground and under power for some fun.. its been drug out way to long..
Hontec
QUOTE(d914 @ Oct 31 2010, 09:29 PM) *

I took out the engine tray to keep things clean and give some better access.. I could so something like that and use fasteners to drop out of the way for service...uummmm phase 2... I need this thing on the ground and under power for some fun.. its been drug out way to long..

the way you built the engine frame, it's easy to make a flat bottom!
Keep up the Nice work!
pktzygt
Looks good, I just shipped my harness to outfront to get trimmed down and matched up with a Stinger EMS. I had planned and doing it myself to save money, but I'm with you. I just want to drive it again.
d914
I did the same thing.. Takes all of ten minutes to hook up th new one to the motor.. Nothing like all new wiring.. I also got a hotrod harness to do the whole car.. I didnt want smoke coming out of the dash like the old car!! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.