Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: ZTR Lawn mowers, Recommendations???
Doug Leggins
post May 18 2004, 10:48 AM
Post #1

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 261
Region Association: None

Looking to buy a ZTR, Zero Turn Radius, lawn mower. I've been searching the web trying to get familiar with the brands and features. So far I'm leaning toward buying a Dixon based on price. And the fact that my brother has one that is 5 years old, has taken alot of abuse, and is still working well.

Any good/bad experience with a particular brand/model?

I've got about 2 acres to mow. Some hilly area and woodsline. And about 50 trees to cut around.

Any recommendations???

I'll get my 914 act together and post some progress pics soon.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
seanery
post May 18 2004, 10:59 AM
Post #2

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Doug,

talk to Mark (Engman) I believe he helped design the first ZTR and is working on a new design.
+Quote Post
Pnambic
post May 18 2004, 11:17 AM
Post #3

Honk if you like obscene gestures!

Group: Members
Member No.: 546
Region Association: South East States

I've used a Dixon and a bigger one (Grasshopper I think?) The Dixon was hardy and got the job done just fine. Went to the Grasshopper for the larger deck.

They're great for giving your yard that professional greenskeeper's striped look. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Pnambic
post May 18 2004, 11:20 AM
Post #4

The Cub Cadet lawn tractor I was using at my father-in-law's house two weeks ago caught on fire....that was exciting. <_<
+Quote Post
airsix
post May 18 2004, 11:56 AM
Post #5

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

QUOTE(Doug Leggins @ May 18 2004, 08:48 AM)
I've got about 2 acres to mow. Some hilly area and woodsline. And about 50 trees to cut around.

Any recommendations???

Wow. 2 acres? That's a lot of lawn! Suggestions? Yeah, how about some horses! That's not a lawn, that's what they call "pasture". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Good luck in your search for a good ZTR mower. They look like a good machine.

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
swood
post May 18 2004, 12:08 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 251

Dixie Chopper is a pretty good ride on mower.
+Quote Post
Levi
post May 18 2004, 12:27 PM
Post #7

Lick my nuts

Member No.: 1,783

QUOTE(airsix @ May 18 2004, 09:56 AM)
QUOTE(Doug Leggins @ May 18 2004, 08:48 AM)

Any recommendations???

Wow. 2 acres? That's a lot of lawn! Suggestions? Yeah, how about some horses! That's not a lawn, that's what they call "pasture". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Good luck in your search for a good ZTR mower. They look like a good machine.

-Ben M.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)
How about 10 acres...this is what I use...not to good around trees tho... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 18 2004, 12:34 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I'm jealous....living in the 'burbs, my lawns are small enough for one of these:
(half of the neighborhood kids don't even know what it is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) )

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
buck toenges
post May 18 2004, 02:24 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 1,388

I have had a dixon for about 4 years now. It works pretty well. I have had more problems with service then anything else. The local company that sells them sucks! The ztr mowers tend to chew the turf with their rear wheels as you zero turn it. Here is a link that manufactures a reel type gang mower that fits behind a regular lawn tractor that cuts cleaner then your regular rotary type. They make it here in Fort Wayne. http://www.4apromow.com/
+Quote Post
Engman
post May 18 2004, 03:27 PM
Post #10

Zoisite

Member No.: 475

Yep - pretty much know ZTR's. 6 patents and 6-8 pending. First question is how much do you want to spend - A good new commercial unit is in the 6 - 7K range- but we can go down from there.

M
+Quote Post
swood
post May 18 2004, 03:52 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 251

Man, I never thought I'd never find an appropriate thread for this photo. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post May 18 2004, 03:56 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081

XMark is the one my son uses in his one man business. Make a big job small. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_rolli_1.gif)
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post May 18 2004, 04:00 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081

For the curious. Yep. It's me. Cooley. Old user name didn't agree with a new email address. That was my 1st post so I couldn't show the XMark photo.
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post May 18 2004, 04:03 PM
Post #14

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Damn Levi. I thought my tractor was old. When mine was brand new (in 1968), yours was already really really old. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Doug Leggins
post May 18 2004, 04:22 PM
Post #15

Thanks folks.

I thought that there was at least one resident expert in the club.

Mark - I've been looking at the Dixon Ram 44. It has 18 hp Briggs and a 44" cut path. Can also attach a snow blade. Best quote so far - $3499 + $375 for snow blade + $60 for wheel weights + $75 for tire chains = $4009.

Got anything in this range?

Do you take 914 parts in trade - LOL!!!
+Quote Post
Engman
post May 18 2004, 04:54 PM
Post #16

Zoisite

Dixon is an Ok mower - more suited to a homeowner than commercial use. One thing I do mot like about Dixon is their propietary hydraulic system - you only gonna get one from them. It's not that it is bad- just that they make it, service it etc - therefore they set the prices on replacement parts. I would encorage you to look at a 52" cut. Better cut, shorter cutting time. Watch out for setup charges. Call a couple of other dealers and get prices - if they are better let your local dealer know - in other word use it to leverage him to that price. You also want to know about a service manual/parts book - make sure you get one - latest trend is to leave it out. Some OEM's have them online and that is cool (especially if you need to know how they did something).

Here is my list of current top ZTR's on the market - these are all commercial -

Scag
Exmark
Great Dane / John Deere
Hustler
Ferris

No I did not mention Dixie Chopper - quality varies year to year (They changed the deck this year and messed up) and they do not meet the ANSI standards. The ones above all meet ANSI. (used to be on the board - have read and testified on injury accidents/lawsuits and its not pretty)

Hope this helps

M
+Quote Post
Doug Leggins
post May 18 2004, 05:06 PM
Post #17

Thanks Mark.

There are a couple of names on your list that I haven't looked at yet.

Still haven't seen one that looks like the one in your avatar. What is the brand of the mower in your avatar?
+Quote Post
Engman
post May 18 2004, 05:20 PM
Post #18

Zoisite

It's not yet released - sooooon , sooon. It is the Formula (model name) of the new company named Gizmow. This will be the first ZTR with a steering wheel (Deere tried this with the Spinsteer but they did not steer the front tires nor was it commercial). Yep you can zero turn and NOT tearup the grass unlike other ZTR's when you zero turn. It has three cams with all of the turning info programmed into them. Simple to use, faster than a regular ZTR cause we do not have to slow down to make a tear free turn, and it will be priced to compete with the other regular ZTR's (Yep my boss is taking a lower profit margin to get into the market). Only ZTR that you can zero turn with one hand. We have been testing/ refining over the winter and are just about ready to take it out to the distribuors to sell. This machine has all of the latest technology and refinements. I am sure that some of them (which are not patentable) will be copied by the others. Once you set a standard you are watched. If you are in the area let me know and I will take you for a ride.

M
+Quote Post
Rusty
post May 19 2004, 12:36 AM
Post #19

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Cooley! You found your way over here! Welcome! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
Pnambic
post May 19 2004, 08:26 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(Engman @ May 18 2004, 06:20 PM)
It's not yet released - sooooon , sooon. It is the Formula (model name) of the new company named Gizmow. This will be the first ZTR with a steering wheel (Deere tried this with the Spinsteer but they did not steer the front tires nor was it commercial). Yep you can zero turn and NOT tearup the grass unlike other ZTR's when you zero turn. It has three cams with all of the turning info programmed into them. Simple to use, faster than a regular ZTR cause we do not have to slow down to make a tear free turn, and it will be priced to compete with the other regular ZTR's (Yep my boss is taking a lower profit margin to get into the market). Only ZTR that you can zero turn with one hand. We have been testing/ refining over the winter and are just about ready to take it out to the distribuors to sell. This machine has all of the latest technology and refinements. I am sure that some of them (which are not patentable) will be copied by the others. Once you set a standard you are watched. If you are in the area let me know and I will take you for a ride.

M

But does it have a beer holder? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 05:27 PM