Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> No gauge back light,, Wire color don't match the diagram..
plus33614483028@gmail.com
post Sep 8 2023, 06:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,575
Region Association: France

Hello, on a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) 1976 2.0, no light on the gauge.
After unmounting the gauges, a flying black and blue wire is existing and the gauge lamps wire are black or black/purple instead of black/blue.
I will appreciate if somebody can help.

Sorry for my bad English, I'm a french (and newcomer)
Nicolas Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
davep
post Sep 8 2023, 07:08 AM
Post #2

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

It does appear that some wire there may have been replaced. Most have the neoprene socks on the terminals to insulate them. Those that are missing socks were probably replaced. The one in the middle should have the sock pulled down into place.
Yes, Black with blue marker are the dimmable illumination wires. The black/purple is generally just the tachometer wire. You will need to see what wires are on your headlight switch. Got to run now, but will look up more details for you.
+Quote Post
rfinegan
post Sep 8 2023, 07:11 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,499
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

combo gauge only has one back light if I Recall correctly and does not light very bright(even with LED in place) not very help full, but good to know
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Sep 8 2023, 07:36 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

The black/blue wire looks like it has been cut… and IT is the light. So it needs to be joined with the same color wire [I think black/blue was dash lighting thru all years of 914] from the other gauges (maybe you can find the same color wire cut somewhere else ?), otherwise find the same color black/blue wire elsewhere and splice in to it. Good luck.

+Quote Post
post Sep 9 2023, 12:17 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(davep @ Sep 8 2023, 07:08 AM) *

It does appear that some wire there may have been replaced. Most have the neoprene socks on the terminals to insulate them. Those that are missing socks were probably replaced. The one in the middle should have the sock pulled down into place.
Yes, Black with blue marker are the dimmable illumination wires. The black/purple is generally just the tachometer wire. You will need to see what wires are on your headlight switch. Got to run now, but will look up more details for you.

thanks Guys it helps me..
+Quote Post
post Sep 9 2023, 12:20 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(rfinegan @ Sep 8 2023, 07:11 AM) *

combo gauge only has one back light if I Recall correctly and does not light very bright(even with LED in place) not very help full, but good to know

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Sep 9 2023, 05:20 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

The lamp socket behind the yellow front indicator is the gauge illumination socket, check that wiring and the bulb itself. i replaced mine with an LED bulb, works much better.

Barefoot
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Sep 9 2023, 06:39 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

Welcome! And be careful with those little light terminals. The center bit the wire slides on to pull out and get damaged if you are rough removing them. Try to always pull the light assembly out by the round cap bit.
+Quote Post
87m491
post Sep 10 2023, 07:11 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 14,731
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(rfinegan @ Sep 8 2023, 05:11 AM) *

The combo gauge has 2 general illumination bulbs. Seen in the pic with black lead and blk blu dotted lead. You can tell the general lights vs idiot/specific lights in each dash gauge by the mount. Idiot/specific lights, in each gauge use a plastic mount and ground through a tang outside the plastic. Hint if you use polarized LEDs here, the negative goes on the tang side.

The general illumination bulbs, BA9s?, use the spring loaded mounts that look like spent bullet shells and ground through the holder into the gauge back.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 02:48 AM