Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '7X 2.7-6 Projekt Thread, Updated 5/4/08 - IT IS ALIVE... well, sort of...
KaptKaos
post Dec 17 2007, 12:05 AM
Post #1

Family

Group: Members
Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I finally got my car moved around in the back so that I can get it up onto jack stands and take a look around.

My short term goal is to get the oil changed, swap the gas tank, charge the battery and try and fire her up. I took a few steps towards that today.

First, I was under there cleaning stuff up. I noticed this on the passenger side of the trans.

Attached Image

I assume that it is the throttle cable, but being this is my first /6, I need to confirm.

Secondly, I drained the oil from the case and the tank. For those that don't recall, here is my 911 tank, cut into the floor.

Attached Image

Problem is that when I drained the case and the tank, I only got 1/2 gallon of oil. I was expecting about 3.5 gallons (14 qts +/-). Not even close. This is my first dry sump motor, so am I missing something?

Here is a picture of the engine mount bar.

Attached Image

I don't know if this is stock, custom, aftermarket or ??? A little help pls. The mount bar sits so low that the side shift trans rod is above it.

Lastly, when I got the car, the PO said that he had buggered up the trans. Its a side shifter. I cleaned it up a little and took off the shift rod head and the ball socket. It's a new socket bushing which is nice.

I was able to move the selector through all gears. I noticed that the shift rod head was about an inch longer than the one on my car. In fact, it looked as if it was extended somehow. It's odd. I noticed this because I had to put the bushing on the ball and snap it down, before inserting it into the shift rod head. If I didn't do that, the shift rod head was so deep that I couldn't push it on. I am hoping that I get lucky with this.

Also, the cone set screw was replaced with a longer set screw, with a square head, that is drilled so it can be wired for additional safety.

Anyway, more to come soon. I have my work cut out for me.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 17 2007, 08:51 AM
Post #2

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Yes, that's your throttle linkage. I think you could fit that tank where the 914-6 tank belongs. You may have to do a little fab work but it would give you back your trunk .... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Dec 18 2007, 11:54 AM
Post #3

Family

So does anyone have any clue as to why I only got 1/2 gallon of oil out of the motor? Am I doing something wrong here? Please let me know.

Thanks!
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 18 2007, 03:40 PM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

From the looks of the motor it has leaked a couple.
Just because it should have had , doesnt mean it did.

no worries ,add some oil and gas , fire it up , check the level.
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Dec 18 2007, 05:48 PM
Post #5

Family

Do I check the level with the motor running? How do I know how much oil to put in? Do I assume it's empty now? Do I just add the oil to the tank? I didn't see a filler on the case.

Sorry for the noob talk, but let's face it. I am a noob with 6ers.

TIA.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Dec 18 2007, 06:02 PM
Post #6

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Do I check the level with the motor running? How do I know how much oil to put in? Do I assume it's empty now? Do I just add the oil to the tank?

Yes, put in about 9qts, start and check, Yes and Yes
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Dec 18 2007, 06:35 PM
Post #7

Family

Thanks Jeff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Oh, and what weight oel should I use?
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Dec 18 2007, 06:48 PM
Post #8

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

That is a personal preferance. I am sure you will get many opinions here but I run 20w-50w. If you are still trying to get it started, for the first time in a while, I would go cheep and see how it runs before dumping $100 worth of oil in.
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Dec 23 2007, 08:06 PM
Post #9

Family

I picked up a clean gas tank from Bruce out in Riverside yesterday. Thanks Bruce!

Wife hasn't been feeling well, so I only got about an hour or two with the car today. I put the front up on ramps and started taking off the overflow tank and the sender, to see how much gas was in the tank and drain it. I got those buggers off, shine a light in there and...... there's no friggen gas in the tank!!!! I smell varnish, but there is no gas in there. I pop the hoses off from underneath, and pull the tank. It's rusty for sure, but empty.

I look at the lines, and there is gas in the main line, I can see it, and it stinks.

Also, the hose to the main line was shot. I think that's where all the old gas went, but I can't be sure.

So, I fit the sender and the overflow to the new tank. I can pop it in at any time.

I have a few questions:

1) What size hose do I need to get for the main and the return? I assume my FLAPS will have standard, non-metric sizes, so let me know what I need in inches pls. I know it needs to be FI hose.

2) Is there a good way to get that old gas out of the line? I assume that there will be some bad gas when I try and fire it up, but I'd like to minimize it if at all possible.

3) Are there any additives that I should add to the gas for this first start attempt? Any suggestions appreciated.

So, assuming I can get the line from flaps, i might go for a Christmas Day fire up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Two more observations:

1) There are two bolts that bolt the steering rack to the body. The extend back from the rack a good 10-12 inches and bolt up. Both of the bolts that go into the body there are missing. So I got that going for me.

2) The car is a 76. All '76s were 2 liters AFAIK. This car does not have sway bars.

Lastly, what's the best way to take off the 75-76 bumpers. I know you need to cut down a lip to get back-date, but how do you get those monsters off!?!?!?

TIA

Merry Christmas!
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Dec 23 2007, 08:08 PM
Post #10

Family

Oh, one other thing. The gas sender is enclosed in a tube. I thought that the ones that I had seen had the float exposed. Is this different?
+Quote Post
Allan
post Dec 23 2007, 08:27 PM
Post #11

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

3/8th and 5/16 on the hose.

The sender is a sealed tube.

Look under the bumpers. There are holes there. You can just get in there with a socket and extension and un-bolt them. I don't remember the size. The bolts "should" just fall out after you loosen them then just pull the bumper forward at each end and it'll come off. Thay are kinda heavy so watch yer feet...
+Quote Post
Markeydoo
post Dec 23 2007, 08:48 PM
Post #12

???

Member No.: 557
Region Association: None

Kapt
I have a 2.0l six with the quick six engine bar similar to what you have. As for the oil did you remove the drain plug on the bottom of the motor?. When I installed my six into my 75 I removed the plastic fuel lines and replaced them with large diameter break lines. I have carbs but I installed 2 just in case I change to a fuel injected motor at a later time. This way I wont need to totally remove the gas tank.
For the oil put in about 9 qts to start. When the engine gets warm adjust the oil level. Try not to start the car with that old gas you may plug up your jets. Drain the gas from the lowest point of the fuel line which is at the fire wall and if you can hand crank the engine once the oil is in. May be it will help to get the old fuel out. You may need to pull the spark plugs.
Also I have some things I promised you when we were at Joe's.
PM me with your number and we can talk
Mark
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Dec 23 2007, 09:27 PM
Post #13

Family

Thanks Allan & Mark.

I'll be stopping at flaps manana!

PM'd you Mark.
+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Dec 23 2007, 09:48 PM
Post #14

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

Do you have a oil line that runs from the trunk mounted tank to the block?

Thats the line you need to remove (one end) and make sure you have drained all of the oil out of that line.

Question. Where did you drain the oil from to get 1.5 quarts of oil...??????

Clayton
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Dec 24 2007, 12:14 AM
Post #15

Family

I drained from the bottom of the case and the bottom of the oil tank.

There are three lines from the tank to the motor. Two up top, one below. The one at the bottom "seems" to go to the case. I haven't gotten a great look down there, but it might be an oil cooler. I recall seeing behr on it.
+Quote Post
swood
post Dec 24 2007, 02:31 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 251

Where is this "Flaps" of which you speak?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Dec 24 2007, 08:31 AM
Post #17

Family

QUOTE(swood @ Dec 24 2007, 12:31 AM) *

Where is this "Flaps" of which you speak?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Friendly Local Auto Parts Store (FLAPS) you noob! In my case, it's Pep Boys which sucks. There is a Kragen not too far that is better, but it's further away.
+Quote Post
swood
post Dec 24 2007, 02:41 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 251

Just givin you xmas sheet.

Hope you have enough time off to tinker with your rides Mr. /6
+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Dec 27 2007, 01:24 AM
Post #19

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

Crack (Loosen) all your oil lines that go from the tank to the block and see if any more oil comes out....... I bet you find more.

Clayton
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Dec 27 2007, 07:58 AM
Post #20

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

1.) Line one goes from the bottom of the tank to the oil cooler ... drain oil from this line (on a /6 with a stock tank this is a two piece line)

2.) Line two goes from the block back to the oil tank (scavenge line). This oil is sent thru the filter prior to dumping into oil tank.

3.) Line three would be your crankcase breather ... from top of case to top of oil tank.

No mas.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 06:34 AM