Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> dashboard to windshield interior gasket replacement, Anyone have any pointers/tips for removal/install?
potomacmidget
post Jul 22 2011, 03:49 PM
Post #1

I gotta have more cowbell....

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,860
Region Association: North East States

All,

I purchased a replacement gasket (from Mikey914) that goes beween the dashboard and the windshield (and around the defroster vents). My existing one is pretty decrepid. Fortunately my dash is not cracked and looks good, so I would like to pull the old gasket and install the new one, but before I jump in and begin cursing my decision....does anyone have any advice on pulling out the old and installing the new? Any help appreciated.

thanks!

Reg
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 8)
914itis
post Jul 22 2011, 03:52 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256

QUOTE(potomacmidget @ Jul 22 2011, 05:49 PM) *

All,

I purchased a replacement gasket (from Mikey914) that goes beween the dashboard and the windshield (and around the defroster vents). My existing one is pretty decrepid. Fortunately my dash is not cracked and looks good, so I would like to pull the old gasket and install the new one, but before I jump in and begin cursing my decision....does anyone have any advice on pulling out the old and installing the new? Any help appreciated.

thanks!

Reg

Hm,,,, I think that you will have to remove the windshielf for that. I am not sure, we will wait for the pro's advice.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Jul 22 2011, 03:57 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(ppetion @ Jul 22 2011, 05:52 PM) *

QUOTE(potomacmidget @ Jul 22 2011, 05:49 PM) *

All,

thanks!

Reg

Hm,,,, I think that you will have to remove the windshielf for that. I am not sure, we will wait for the pro's advice.

You got lucky.The one you got from Mikey can be install without removing the windsheild. Pain in the butt to do but is doable...
I've done 2

Bob
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post Jul 22 2011, 04:04 PM
Post #4

Driving & working on teeners 41 years

Member No.: 9,003
Region Association: South East States

Get a hook tool and pull it out. The factory one should have a metal U shape to it embedded in the rubber. Once you start it coming off it will be easy.
+Quote Post
potomacmidget
post Jul 22 2011, 05:56 PM
Post #5

I gotta have more cowbell....

Member No.: 12,860

Guys - thanks for the help, I appreciate it. Lucky for me the prior owner replaced the windshield so at least the outside part is good, just need to get the guts to pull out the gasket, but since I live in Maryland it is like 120F in my garage, ugh...just was tinkering with my MG and need a shower..again, thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Reg
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Jul 22 2011, 06:46 PM
Post #6

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188
Region Association: None

Hmmm. An MG and a 914. You are a glutton for funishment. I put mine in without removing the windshield.

Good luck
+Quote Post
Jerry75914
post Jul 22 2011, 08:39 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 9,640
Region Association: Northern California

I also put one in from Mikey, great product as always. One bit of advice I'll pass along...mine was so torched from being in the sun, that when I pulled it out, the rubber was rock hard and basically shattered into little bits as I pulled it out. Months later I am still finding little bits of hard plastic in my cabin...use some kind of drip cloth and seal off the vents so little bits don't go in there...trust me! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 22 2011, 11:25 PM
Post #8

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

This thread will help.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=windshield
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Jul 23 2011, 12:22 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

Tape off your defrost vents if possible then get some needle-nose pliers or something like them and start pulling out--Mine was as described above, hard as a rock and exploded everywhere, still finding pieces...

The new 914rubber part can then be installed, start at one side and work your way over, I started in the passenger side just because its easier...If you need to push it in a little extra don't use anything sharp or pointed as its likely to leave marks in the new trim piece...

All in all, very easy install, my biggest problem was the mess the OE one made coming out.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 11:45 AM