Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hey /6 guys 911 2.4 engine question(s), AKA I have oil issues :-(
GaroldShaffer
post Jul 22 2008, 05:20 PM
Post #1

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

The short version:

I have a old 914 FP race car that is "this close" to having the /6 conversion completed. The engine is a 2.4 911 T with carbs. All new -12 areo quip lines, new oil tank, thermosta, and remote oil filter console. Car is at Brad Mayuers shop.

Here is the issue with everything hooked up Oil will build up in the crank case to the point the oil tank starts to suck air and the over flow tank fills with oil. When drained, over 1 1/2 gallons of oil comes out of the crank case. Now with the remote oil filter, oil cooler and such bypassed and the line connected back to the oil tank the oil flow is better, not great, but better. When drained about 3 quarts of oil comes out of the crank case. Seems to Brad that I have a scavage pump problem, yes? Is there anything else that we should look for? If Brad is stumped, then I sure the hell have no clue.

I will not take this engine apart. If it comes to that then my /6 project is done for a while until I build up enough funds to get another engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 8)
Root_Werks
post Jul 22 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #2

Village Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

More info:

What type of oil tank? You mentioned remote filter etc. Describe your system as best you can for us. It makes a difference.

If you have a cooler, there should be a thermostat that bypasses it until needed. Your remote components might be funky? The oil tank could also be an issue.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jul 22 2008, 05:30 PM
Post #3

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

take the sump plate off and have a look see, at the the pickup tube on the pump
+Quote Post
TimT
post Jul 22 2008, 05:50 PM
Post #4

retired

Member No.: 313

at the the pickup tube on the pump

Yes sounds like a scavenge problem.

A few years ago on my car the pickup broke off the body of the oil pump while I was changing the oil. I was able to jb weld the tube back on after super cleaning and drying the oil pump body with brake cleaner.
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Jul 22 2008, 10:38 PM
Post #5

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84
Region Association: Northern California

Brad Mayeur is one of the most experienced Porsche guys in the Mid West. You have taken it to the right shop for maintenance. I would not rule out the engine yet. The guys on this board will provide info and advise.

What exactly is Brad telling you??
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Jul 22 2008, 11:36 PM
Post #6

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

Brad is telling me he doesn't know why this is happening. He feels it is the scavage pump, but isn't 100% sure. I trust Brad & Michael.

More info:

What type of oil tank? You mentioned remote filter etc. Describe your system as best you can for us. It makes a difference.

If you have a cooler, there should be a thermostat that bypasses it until needed. Your remote components might be funky? The oil tank could also be an issue.

I have a PMS 16 quart oil tank (#OIL 08-0011-DB), PMS Remote oil filter console (#OIL09-0304), using a PMS 180 Degree MOCAL OT2 type thermostat (#OIL-12THER).

This pitcures below shows the way it was setup when the /4 was it. EVERYTHING for the oil system is NEW It is setup the same way, but with bigger oil tank, lines, oil filter, ..... The only unknown is the engine itself. It runs great, just doesn't have the butt to pump the oil through the filter, cooler and back to the tank, or so it seems.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Jul 23 2008, 11:29 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,922

Well in basic principal either what ever pushs the oil out of the motor (scavange pump) is not working or there is a blockage in the oil passage going to the oil tank.

Maybe drain the oil lines from the motor exit to the oil tank and see if you can push air thru them. Would it be possible to have a defective thermostat or something?
+Quote Post
elmonte
post Jul 23 2008, 03:06 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 499

Not to state the obvious, but do you have the sump plate in the correct orientation,the drain plug can't be under the pump pickup. Just a thought.

Cheers
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jul 23 2008, 04:24 PM
Post #9

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Might not be the right oil tank? Last 4cyl engine wasn't really a true dry sump like the 6cyl is. They need a rather large pick up line.

Others have mentioned the pick up tube. I would check that as well.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 05:16 AM