Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Black/brown wire near fuel tank, Where does it terminate?
jjbunn
post Aug 15 2009, 12:42 PM
Post #1

Julian

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,383
Region Association: Southern California

I'm trying to locate the black/brown wire marked "T1a" on the '74 wiring diagram, that is supposed be "near fuel tank", and which I think can be used to power an electric windscreen washer pump (it comes from the stalk switch on the steering column).

My problem is that I can't see where this wire is on my car. There is some overspray on the wire bundle that emerges into the front trunk from under the dash, which makes seeing what is there difficult.

Any help/advice would be appreciated!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
SirAndy
post Aug 15 2009, 01:42 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(jjbunn @ Aug 15 2009, 10:42 AM) *

I'm trying to locate the black/brown wire marked "T1a" on the '74 wiring diagram

It's brown with a black stripe. Originates at your steering column and is in the main bundle going into the front trunk and terminates right around the drivers side fresh air divider box thing.
It may be hidden inside the loom. It was on my car.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=13261

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jjbunn
post Aug 15 2009, 03:53 PM
Post #3

Julian

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 15 2009, 12:42 PM) *

QUOTE(jjbunn @ Aug 15 2009, 10:42 AM) *

I'm trying to locate the black/brown wire marked "T1a" on the '74 wiring diagram

It's brown with a black stripe. Originates at your steering column and is in the main bundle going into the front trunk and terminates right around the drivers side fresh air divider box thing.
It may be hidden inside the loom. It was on my car.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=13261

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Andy

OK I have found the wire: it emerged at the place you indicated, and was folded back and taped, hidden, to the wiring bundle.

After extracting it, I checked for +12V when pulling the column stalk towards me: nothing. My car is a '74, but it doesn't have the intermittent wipe option - is that relevant?

I'm a little confused now, as my owner's manual says that the windscreen washers are activated by pulling on this lever, as I am doing. Yet the system in the '74 used the spare tire pressure to eject the water, so how is the column stalk supposed to turn that on and off, and what has it got to do with the brown/black wire?

Sorry, I'm new to 914 wiring (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 15 2009, 11:18 PM
Post #4

Resident German

QUOTE(jjbunn @ Aug 15 2009, 01:53 PM) *

After extracting it, I checked for +12V when pulling the column stalk towards me: nothing. My car is a '74, but it doesn't have the intermittent wipe option - is that relevant?

I'm a little confused now, as my owner's manual says that the windscreen washers are activated by pulling on this lever, as I am doing. Yet the system in the '74 used the spare tire pressure to eject the water, so how is the column stalk supposed to turn that on and off, and what has it got to do with the brown/black wire?

If i'm not mistaken, the stalk at the steering column grounds out the wire, not feed it with 12V ...

It usually plugs into the intermittent relay harness, i'm guessing it get's voltage from there.

In order to use it for the pump, use it as a ground for your pump or use it to ground out a relay that supplies 12V to your pump ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
jjbunn
post Aug 16 2009, 12:04 PM
Post #5

Julian

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 15 2009, 10:18 PM) *

QUOTE(jjbunn @ Aug 15 2009, 01:53 PM) *

If i'm not mistaken, the stalk at the steering column grounds out the wire, not feed it with 12V ...

It usually plugs into the intermittent relay harness, i'm guessing it get's voltage from there.

In order to use it for the pump, use it as a ground for your pump or use it to ground out a relay that supplies 12V to your pump ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy

I'm not getting any action on that wire at all. Measuring resistance to ground or to B+, it's infinite, whether the column switch is activated or not.

I suspect it's not connected in the column, perhaps because I don't have the intermittent wipe option on my car (why would they cable the switch if the option wasn't selected?).

So I will take a look at the wiring on the switch itself, which looks like it may be quite a game getting to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 16 2009, 02:35 PM
Post #6

Resident German

QUOTE(jjbunn @ Aug 16 2009, 10:04 AM) *

I'm not getting any action on that wire at all. Measuring resistance to ground or to B+, it's infinite, whether the column switch is activated or not.

I suspect it's not connected in the column, perhaps because I don't have the intermittent wipe option on my car (why would they cable the switch if the option wasn't selected?).

So I will take a look at the wiring on the switch itself, which looks like it may be quite a game getting to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Did you brake off the plastic tab to allow the lever to go down one more position to activate the intermittent option?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
jjbunn
post Aug 16 2009, 02:57 PM
Post #7

Julian

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 16 2009, 01:35 PM) *

QUOTE(jjbunn @ Aug 16 2009, 10:04 AM) *

Did you brake off the plastic tab to allow the lever to go down one more position to activate the intermittent option?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Andy

No, I didn't, but the reason it doesn't work is that my wiper switch does not have a pin out for the black/brown wire. I suspect there is a different wiper switch if you have the intermittent wipe option, which would have this pin connected.

Here's a photo. Yellow arrow shows the brown/black wire that ends up in the front trunk area, green arrow shows the pin socket, for which there is no matching pin on the switch base.

(IMG:http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2517/3826846359_d474831deb_b.jpg)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 10:13 AM