Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Pertronix. Yes or NO
ChrisReale
post Apr 9 2003, 06:15 PM
Post #1

Sleazy

Group: Members
Member No.: 176

I can get one tommorow. My points so far have worked fine, no adjustments. I have reda of shoddy quality. Is it worth my time/money to get a pertronix?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
ChrisFoley
post Apr 9 2003, 08:03 PM
Post #2

I am Tangerine Racing

Group: Members
Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

I really like the elimination of the points, however, all the Pertronix units I have installed in the past had interference issues. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
The interference was causing them to burn out until I realized that minor clearancing of the distributor rotor was needed. By shaving down the part of the rotor which is closest to the body of the Pertronix I eliminated the problem.
At first, when installing the unit I didn't notice any interference, but the distributor cap was pushing the Pertronix in against the rotor when it was clipped onto the distributor. By turning down the rotor where it came in close proximity to the black part which contains the electronics, I was able to move it inward. That way the distributor cap no longer pushed in on it and the rotor didn't wear through the potting compound.
Since learning this I have had the same unit in operation in my race car for many years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Oh yeah, I may have clearanced the distributor cap as well.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 03:28 AM