Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Convert tailshift to sideshift tranny, Can the tranny be converted?
Doug Leggins
post Nov 5 2004, 02:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 261
Region Association: None

Fairly certain that I have seen info that a tailshift transmission can be converted to a sideshift transmission. But I can't find the information now. Anyone know if this can be done? Easy? Know where to find info on how to/what is involved?

I'm asking because I have a tailshift transmission in my 72 that works really well. But I'm building a 73 and need a sideshift tranny. I have 3 sideshift transmissions but do not know the history of any of them.

If a tail shift to side shift conversion is possible, is it recommended?

I also have 2 other tailshift transmissions that I do not know the history of.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) Too many transmissions!

It seems that there must be a way for me to use the transmissions that I have to make sure that I have a good working side shift transmission in my 73 project.

Thoughts/suggestions?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
GWN7
post Nov 5 2004, 02:46 PM
Post #2

King of Road Trips

Group: Members
Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Other stuff needed from the side-shift donor car:
The complete shift linkage including the gear shift lever. (You can use your old shift knob if you like, but that's it!)
The motor mount bar.
The ouboard solid mounts.
The inboard rubber mounts.
The brackets from the motor to the inboard mounts.
The "converter bushing" for the hole in the firewall where the linkage goes.

as per DD

The best thing to do is to open up both transmission and rebuild the sideshifter with the best parts form both. That is the basic premise of my article and the way I "rebuild" trannies.

The "leave the case attached to the engine" idea was so that you could fix things internally if all the seals were OK. If the seals have not been replaced, replace all of the seals after fully removing the tranny case.

If you do not want to rebuild the tranny stack or do not have the tools, all you need to do is change the internal shift rods from the saide shift stack to the tail shift stack, re-install the tailshift stack back into the tail shift case. Install the shift console from the side shift and use the tail cover from the side shift. This would be quicker. I still reccomend getting the "tool" for aligning the shiftrods.

As per Red Beard
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 04:59 PM