Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hey URY914 - Paul....lite weight brake stuff !!!, decent prices also.....
Mueller
post Aug 19 2003, 08:10 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Billet Dynalite Single

and

Stock Car Products - Brakes

They list the prices and the weights of the parts...not too bad.

I called Wilwood today and spoke with a tech, I asked for 3D models of some of thier parts Denied !!!!!

I don't know why, this is very common in the semiconductor/mechanical world to offer parts in DXF or IGES or other solidmodeling formats.
It makes the job of the designer much easier and sometimes will sway us in what part or manufacture to use.

If you get the calipers, any chance I can borrow them for a few days?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Mueller
post Aug 20 2003, 01:06 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Hey Timo,

I read that article, thanks.....
Some of it was amusing:
"bigger front brakes will cause more heat build up on the rear brakes" What ?!?!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I've spoke to a few different Wilwood engineers, "off the record", dust seals are not 100% needed for a street car unless one would put 100k + miles on a car and only replace the pads without ever inspecting the calipers. Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with running these on the street, it all comes down to common sense and some responsibility on taking care of ones car.

There is one reason NOT to run these on these on the street, the possibility of more noise since the dust seal also serves to help "pull" the piston back so that the pad does not chatter on the rotor while spinning.

The pistons have O-rings which can be replaced, so the bore is protected, the only concern is that if the pads are worn too far, then yes, the piston will be exposed more to the elements....the solution?? Replace the pads before you have metal to metal contact (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

When it comes to brakes or anything else Porsche related, some people do not like any aftermarket items when it seems the factory did such a good job to start with.

This guy is not claiming his kit is better, it just offers a nice and more cost effective alternative to the Holy Grail (Big Reds or monster Mono-blocks)

I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel (or brake package, LOL) here, I'm just pointing out that for people like Paul or Tim, there are alternatives to these big 4 piston kits.

The more I look at them, i think the dual pistons that Paul wants are a neat idea. They cut down on weight and will not upset the balance of the braking system.

I have the bigger calipers (4 piston), but the more I look at the 2 piston, the more I like them. My calipers are not installed yet, so I can go either way. Considering I have brand new rebuild kits for my stock calipers, I should go that route to save time and money.

These new 2 piston calipers have two main advantages.....less weight and better heat dissapation compared to the factory caliper.

After reading what Brad said about needing bigger brakes, I guess it's more of a want, but if they are really not needed, why bother right now when there are more important things to focus on?!?!?

For the record, I do not plan on offer kits or anything like that, but I have no problem helping someone figure out if these will adapt to thier car.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 07:50 AM