Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> What would you guys do?, Working Professionally On Cars
Eric Taylor
post Mar 29 2006, 01:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 770

I’ve been thinking about this post for a while and Britt’s thread about IT got me going again.

Right now I’m at a point in my life where I feel like I’ve got to make a few decisions. I’m about half way through school and finding myself really unsure of what I want to do. I’m currently a journalism major and am finding that I am not as interested in doing what I thought I wanted to do. The jobs I had always dreamed of in TV are starting to disappear and the ones I’m left with are not ones that interest me. So I got thinking about what really does get me going.

The part of my life that interests me the most is cars. In working with my little 914 I’ve learned a lot. It really keeps me on my toes, and while I defiantly don’t know everything I have a passion to learn and that’s a lot of why I like it. Right now I’m getting a great experience with a board member in building a 3.0 SC motor. While it’s mostly me watching and holding things, I really love the detail and the intricacy of everything and figuring out how it all works I really enjoy the puzzle of it and piecing it all together.

So I turn to my favorite group of car people for advice. What would your guys’ advice be for turning this passion into a profession? I know it would be really hard to walk into a Porsche shop and ask for a job with no actual on the job experience or training. How would you guys go about getting into this world if you were in my situation?

Eric
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
byndbad914
post Mar 29 2006, 03:25 PM
Post #2

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,463
Region Association: None

tough decision - but I will give you my BTDT story.

I started junior college right outta high school in 1989 to get a Mechanical Engineering Degree. Around 1991, Aerospace tanked here in SoCal and I was sorta dating a girl at that time and her dad worked in aerospace. He had lost his job, then he lost the house (because Aero was a huge influence here at that time, the housing market also began tanking so he couldn't sell his house for enough $ to cover the mortgage). Really sad deal. He was driving truck at one point just trying to put food on the table.

So, I said screw that noise and quit the engineering stuff and got my auto mechanics degree and started working as a mechanic around 94. Then, being somewhat smarter than you average bear, I knew being a manager and ultimately shop owner might be the best gig, so I got an AA in Small Business Management from the same jr college. Worked my way into manager positions, etc. Finally decided it was a hard living for not that much money compared to engineering. And engineering was on the rise by the end of the 90s. So I went back to school AGAIN and was cranking out 17 units a semester and working 40hrs/wk for about two years to "get er dun". I graduated and started a job at almost DOUBLE what I was making as a mechanic.

And I make more than many of my shop owner friends/acquaintances. The mechnic's life is a tough living and frankly my back is still a bit crappy from leaning over fenders and such, and I only did it for about 7-8yrs "professionally". Owning your own business is a whole other crazy dynamic with insane risk involved. BTDT too. And a big DITTO on the "hobbies aren't the best careers" comments - I didn't even want to change the oil in my own car at one point because I had done it all damn day.

That said, I am now going to be 35yrs old and make what most 28yr olds here do, but wouldn't trade it. I never intended to have kids, found a girl that doesn't either, so I didn't have a need for a family plan. I gained a ton of great "real-life" experience that has become invaluable to me as an engineer and a wanna-be racer.

My .02 - If you see yourself wanting to get married and start a family and have a nice house in the burbs with good schools and such, get a good degree and a good job. If you don't have a 10yr plan that includes that... man LIVE if you know what I mean. Screw the journalism for now and get a mechanic's helper job and go to school for an AS in auto mechanics if that appeals to you. Then, a few years down the road after you have "played that one out", maybe journalism will look better to you. Or something else. Hell, I could be diagnosed for career ADD at this point and I change my mind every 2-5yrs. I am already tired of engineering... and just finished my MBA in December.

Whatever the decision, make sure it includes getting at least a Bachelor's Degree in the end - that is becoming bare minimum for even a manager at a restaurant anymore. And remember that for many, it is really hard to go back to school if you stop going. I actually never quit going to school between 1989-2000. But I really enjoy learning, so I am a different bird in that respect.

edit - I echo the Cap'n - forgot to mention why mechanics was getting boring to me. All the "fun stuff" doesn't make any money. He is so right about that. Crate engines are killing some of my friends in the rebuilding biz. Machine shops all over are hurting because nobody resizes rods - they buy the Chinese H-beams for the same money. Blocks - just get a crate motor or buy an already machined one from the big 3s performance groups. Heads - buy aluminum already assembled and bolt on.

And I HATE, LOATHE - and whatever similar words are out there for hate - the whole fast and furious gay-ass ricer crap. And THAT is where the $ and work is these days frankly. For me, I love muscle cars and race cars, and a Honda or any FWD car will NEVER be a race car IMO. Even if they run 8s and 9s, it is just dumb to me. So, what I enjoy was becoming somewhat extinct from a career perspective.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Eric Taylor   What would you guys do?   Mar 29 2006, 01:01 PM
drewvw   When I was younger I too wanted to go into the Car...   Mar 29 2006, 01:10 PM
MW 914   Can't say that I know the best way to break in...   Mar 29 2006, 01:12 PM
914helo   I considered not finishing college a few years ago...   Mar 29 2006, 01:16 PM
jasons   For me, there is a difference in working on cars f...   Mar 29 2006, 01:24 PM
lapuwali   Just being a mechanic in a shop is a great way to ...   Mar 29 2006, 01:29 PM
Air_Cooled_Nut   Dude, I so feel you! I'm kinda in that po...   Mar 29 2006, 01:31 PM
Pistachio   I agree with the above - finish your degree. Eve...   Mar 29 2006, 01:32 PM
Jake Raby   Think about it hard... Then change your mind.   Mar 29 2006, 01:32 PM
drewvw   ...   Mar 29 2006, 02:11 PM
lapuwali   The only thing you can do is try. The worst that ...   Mar 29 2006, 02:56 PM
Cap'n Krusty   Likie it or not, working on cars that aren't a...   Mar 29 2006, 03:01 PM
race914   Turns out some of the guys I've met at PCA eve...   Mar 29 2006, 03:12 PM
lapuwali   <...   Mar 29 2006, 03:16 PM
byndbad914   tough decision - but I will give you my BTDT story...   Mar 29 2006, 03:25 PM
jhadler     Mar 29 2006, 03:52 PM
grantsfo   Electric cars seem to be finally coming on as a vi...   Mar 29 2006, 04:08 PM
Dr Evil   Dude, Be glad you are in undergrad and thinking th...   Mar 29 2006, 04:44 PM
warrenporsche   http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/e...   Mar 29 2006, 05:20 PM
jasons   <...   Mar 29 2006, 05:42 PM
byndbad914   http://www.914world.com/bbs2/h...   Mar 29 2006, 10:58 PM
Porcharu   Yep - get that degree any BS will do. My best fri...   Mar 29 2006, 11:42 PM
lapuwali   I have to say, this is getting a bit too much. I ...   Mar 30 2006, 12:09 AM
Porcharu   ...   Mar 30 2006, 01:39 AM
Brando   Hmm... You'll never live a lavish lifestyle a...   Mar 30 2006, 04:15 AM
alpha434   I agree with MattR and Bondo. I was in the same ...   Mar 30 2006, 04:41 AM
John Kelly   I dropped out of school in the 8th grade and never...   Mar 30 2006, 06:36 AM
drewvw     Mar 30 2006, 08:19 AM
Tobra   I thought that was "never trust anyone over 40"   Mar 30 2006, 08:23 AM
KELTY360   ...   Mar 30 2006, 08:37 AM
rick 918-S   As a former shop owner, I would hire young, inspir...   Mar 30 2006, 08:47 AM
Eric Taylor   Thanks everyone. There is a lot of really solid ad...   Mar 30 2006, 12:05 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 04:09 PM