Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT Connect an ipod to a car stereo amp?
computers4kids
post Oct 14 2006, 08:01 PM
Post #1

Love these little cars!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

I was thinking about how I could connect my ipod to my stereo system. My stereo doesn't have an ipod jack. The stereo is connected via the rca outputs to an alpine amp tucked away inside my center console. What about putting a splitter on the input side of the amp? My ipod could set right on my center console and plug into the amp. I'm not a stereo guy...but it seems to me that should work. If I turn my stereo on just barely to power-up the amp, (no volume), the ipod's sound would then be amplied and played through the speakers.

Does anyone know if I would have a problem doing it this way?
Thanks....

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
highways
post Oct 15 2006, 02:21 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,296

An ipod simple spits out 'line level' signal. Anything that accepts a line level input should take it. The splitter should be find- as long as your stereo isn't sending anything stronger then line level to the amplifier. I'm not sure if your ipod volume control will be an adequate overall volume control, but it should be. You may need to raise and lower volume via the amp. Or at the very minimum- your amp will need to be powered down before you can plug in and unplug the ipod, otherwise you'll send a pop through the system that could damage speakers. You can also test your signal chain idea by substituting the ipod with any device sending line level audio- such as a cheap VCR, tapedeck, CD player, whatever (just not phono).

One thing about RCA wiring- it's not a balanced type wire. Meaning you want to keep the cable short (usually 6' max) or else you may start to get inductive electromagnetic interference seeping into the wire. Although those types of problems (generally heard as buzz, or even radio reception) usually are resulting from AC current and ground loops. Not sure if you'll even be exposed to any problems since car audio is powered by DC 12volt.

I myself plan to purchase a stereo with RCA inputs, to do the same thing. There are a few models out there that do... sort of like a mini receiver for your car.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/party.gif)
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Oct 15 2006, 02:59 PM
Post #3

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(highways @ Oct 15 2006, 01:21 PM) *

I myself plan to purchase a stereo with RCA inputs, to do the same thing. There are a few models out there that do... sort of like a mini receiver for your car.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/party.gif)

I just put an Alpine head unit in my car. It has an iPod input in the back(not a just RCAs). It allows me to control the iPod from the head unit so there is no need to have the iPod out floating around. Just throw it in the glove box. It also has RCA jacks as well should you need them. It works incredibly well and is even Satellite ready. The deck was $190 + a $20 cable for the iPod. No mess, no muss, no fuss. That is my .02.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
computers4kids   OT Connect an ipod to a car stereo amp?   Oct 14 2006, 08:01 PM
McMark   You could also wire a switch to power the 'rem...   Oct 15 2006, 01:31 PM
highways   An ipod simple spits out 'line level' sign...   Oct 15 2006, 02:21 PM
MW 914  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 09:36 PM