Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> AN fittings, Installing without vise
spunone
post Jan 31 2007, 12:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,901
Region Association: Southern California

Anyone put on AN fittings without a vise ?If so how bad was it ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
John
post Jan 31 2007, 12:36 PM
Post #2

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

I did mine without a vice.

I used 2 huge ass wrenches to tighten them.

I tape the end with masking tape and cut them with a chop saw for nice square ends, I get the nut over the masking tape, then remove the masking tape, install the ferrel and then lubricate the end of the hose and the hose end and push it until seated then tighten up the nut.

Mine are not really AN. Mine are steel 37 degree JIC fittings (think hydraulic hose).

I found the larger the line, the easier they are to install.

It is easiest to take them to the hydraulic hose shop and have them swedge the fittings on.
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Feb 1 2007, 12:46 PM
Post #3

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463
Region Association: None

QUOTE(John @ Jan 31 2007, 11:36 AM) *

I did mine without a vice.

I used 2 huge ass wrenches to tighten them.

I tape the end with masking tape and cut them with a chop saw for nice square ends, I get the nut over the masking tape, then remove the masking tape, install the ferrel and then lubricate the end of the hose and the hose end and push it until seated then tighten up the nut.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I used both the push-on lines and the braided lines - did all my lines by hand. I used the push-lok stuff on my fuel system (only 7psi for carb) and for my dry sump I ran -12 for everything but a single -16 return. I used XRP ends (and I haven't used other brands in awhile so they may be the same) and the XRPs had a nice, tapered end so the hose fit in nicely.

The important part is how you cut the line. As John said, he used masking tape and a chop saw - I prefer using really good duct tape and a hack saw. Get a brand-new, finest-tooth blade, wrap the hose VERY tight with the duct tape, and hack through it using a much force/least strokes as possible (dirty minds keep it to yourself (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ) Then pull the tape off carefully, at an angle away from the hose and there will be little to no fraying. Apply oil to both the fitting both where the hose slides through and the threads. Oil the inside of the hose too - then when you put the other end in (that bites into the hose), oil the part that inserts and the threads there too. Lots of oil on any mating surfaces is the way to go. Two big wrenches and you are on your way. The only time I would have liked a vice was actually when tightening the fittings together - would have reduced the marring from the fitting moving around between the wrenches.

Oh, and before you tighten, put a strip of duct tape on the hose, right at the fitting so you can make sure the hose doesn't back out as you tighten (you will see a gap between the tape and the fitting if so). A very small amount of backout (like .030" small) is okay. I leave the tape on so I can do a quick visual at the track each time I go to see if any hoses are backing out under pressure, just a tip but not necessary.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 03:12 PM