|
|

|
Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG.
This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. |
|
|
| KaptKaos |
Dec 17 2007, 12:05 AM
Post
#1
|
|
Family ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 4,009 Joined: 23-April 03 From: Near Wausau Member No.: 607 Region Association: Upper MidWest |
I finally got my car moved around in the back so that I can get it up onto jack stands and take a look around.
My short term goal is to get the oil changed, swap the gas tank, charge the battery and try and fire her up. I took a few steps towards that today. First, I was under there cleaning stuff up. I noticed this on the passenger side of the trans. ![]() I assume that it is the throttle cable, but being this is my first /6, I need to confirm. Secondly, I drained the oil from the case and the tank. For those that don't recall, here is my 911 tank, cut into the floor. ![]() Problem is that when I drained the case and the tank, I only got 1/2 gallon of oil. I was expecting about 3.5 gallons (14 qts +/-). Not even close. This is my first dry sump motor, so am I missing something? Here is a picture of the engine mount bar. ![]() I don't know if this is stock, custom, aftermarket or ??? A little help pls. The mount bar sits so low that the side shift trans rod is above it. Lastly, when I got the car, the PO said that he had buggered up the trans. Its a side shifter. I cleaned it up a little and took off the shift rod head and the ball socket. It's a new socket bushing which is nice. I was able to move the selector through all gears. I noticed that the shift rod head was about an inch longer than the one on my car. In fact, it looked as if it was extended somehow. It's odd. I noticed this because I had to put the bushing on the ball and snap it down, before inserting it into the shift rod head. If I didn't do that, the shift rod head was so deep that I couldn't push it on. I am hoping that I get lucky with this. Also, the cone set screw was replaced with a longer set screw, with a square head, that is drilled so it can be wired for additional safety. Anyway, more to come soon. I have my work cut out for me. |
![]() ![]() |
| KaptKaos |
Dec 23 2007, 08:06 PM
Post
#2
|
|
Family ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 4,009 Joined: 23-April 03 From: Near Wausau Member No.: 607 Region Association: Upper MidWest |
I picked up a clean gas tank from Bruce out in Riverside yesterday. Thanks Bruce!
Wife hasn't been feeling well, so I only got about an hour or two with the car today. I put the front up on ramps and started taking off the overflow tank and the sender, to see how much gas was in the tank and drain it. I got those buggers off, shine a light in there and...... there's no friggen gas in the tank!!!! I smell varnish, but there is no gas in there. I pop the hoses off from underneath, and pull the tank. It's rusty for sure, but empty. I look at the lines, and there is gas in the main line, I can see it, and it stinks. Also, the hose to the main line was shot. I think that's where all the old gas went, but I can't be sure. So, I fit the sender and the overflow to the new tank. I can pop it in at any time. I have a few questions: 1) What size hose do I need to get for the main and the return? I assume my FLAPS will have standard, non-metric sizes, so let me know what I need in inches pls. I know it needs to be FI hose. 2) Is there a good way to get that old gas out of the line? I assume that there will be some bad gas when I try and fire it up, but I'd like to minimize it if at all possible. 3) Are there any additives that I should add to the gas for this first start attempt? Any suggestions appreciated. So, assuming I can get the line from flaps, i might go for a Christmas Day fire up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Two more observations: 1) There are two bolts that bolt the steering rack to the body. The extend back from the rack a good 10-12 inches and bolt up. Both of the bolts that go into the body there are missing. So I got that going for me. 2) The car is a 76. All '76s were 2 liters AFAIK. This car does not have sway bars. Lastly, what's the best way to take off the 75-76 bumpers. I know you need to cut down a lip to get back-date, but how do you get those monsters off!?!?!? TIA Merry Christmas! |
KaptKaos '7X 2.7-6 Projekt Thread Dec 17 2007, 12:05 AM
rick 918-S Yes, that's your throttle linkage. I think you... Dec 17 2007, 08:51 AM
KaptKaos So does anyone have any clue as to why I only got ... Dec 18 2007, 11:54 AM
sixnotfour From the looks of the motor it has leaked a couple... Dec 18 2007, 03:40 PM
KaptKaos Do I check the level with the motor running? How ... Dec 18 2007, 05:48 PM
Jeffs9146
Yes, put in about 9qts, start and check, Yes and... Dec 18 2007, 06:02 PM
KaptKaos Thanks Jeff :trophy:
Oh, and what weight oel shou... Dec 18 2007, 06:35 PM
Jeffs9146 That is a personal preferance. I am sure you will ... Dec 18 2007, 06:48 PM
Grimstead
1) There are two bolts that bolt the steering ra... Dec 27 2007, 11:01 AM
KaptKaos Oh, one other thing. The gas sender is enclosed i... Dec 23 2007, 08:08 PM
Headrage 3/8th and 5/16 on the hose.
The sender is a seale... Dec 23 2007, 08:27 PM
Markeydoo Kapt
I have a 2.0l six with the quick six engine b... Dec 23 2007, 08:48 PM
KaptKaos Thanks Allan & Mark.
I'll be stopping a... Dec 23 2007, 09:27 PM
Twystd1 Do you have a oil line that runs from the trunk mo... Dec 23 2007, 09:48 PM
KaptKaos I drained from the bottom of the case and the bott... Dec 24 2007, 12:14 AM
swood Where is this "Flaps" of which you speak... Dec 24 2007, 02:31 AM
KaptKaos
Where is this "Flaps" of which you spea... Dec 24 2007, 08:31 AM
swood Just givin you xmas sheet.
Hope you have enough t... Dec 24 2007, 02:41 PM
Twystd1 Crack (Loosen) all your oil lines that go from the... Dec 27 2007, 01:24 AM
SLITS 1.) Line one goes from the bottom of the tank to ... Dec 27 2007, 07:58 AM
dfwteenerpr for what it's worth, a mechanic advised my bro... Dec 27 2007, 10:02 AM
KaptKaos Update
It's not seized!!!
:tr... Dec 29 2007, 08:19 PM
euro911 Who the Fuch is this Mark character you mention, a... Dec 30 2007, 01:25 AM
KaptKaos
Who the Fuch is this Mark character you mention, ... Dec 30 2007, 10:11 AM
KaptKaos So I went out there again today to try and start h... Dec 30 2007, 05:29 PM
euro911 Have at it ... Pick your poison
... doing a litt... Dec 30 2007, 06:32 PM
Aaron Cox Get off your ass and get it running ! LOL
... Jan 4 2008, 08:04 PM
Brando How's the teener running Aaron? Jan 4 2008, 08:10 PM
KaptKaos :rotfl: :rotfl:
Yeah, and this rain is gonna he... Jan 4 2008, 08:27 PM
Headrage
How's the teener running Aaron?
No one will... Jan 4 2008, 08:39 PM
Aaron Cox I drove it today......(around the block)
I need t... Jan 4 2008, 09:08 PM
Gint This thing running yet? :driving: Jan 5 2008, 09:03 AM
KaptKaos Depending on the weather, I plan to pull the fuel ... Jan 5 2008, 10:35 AM
KaptKaos A little progress so far today.
1) It's not t... Jan 31 2008, 02:19 PM
KaptKaos Ok, so I got the fuel pump back in, and it's s... Jan 31 2008, 05:06 PM
swood Was it another holiday today...? :confused:
:ch... Jan 31 2008, 10:59 PM
KaptKaos
Was it another holiday today...? :confused:
:c... Jan 31 2008, 11:22 PM
KaptKaos So today, I got some FI fuel line, and rigged it u... Feb 2 2008, 05:12 PM
KaptKaos :barf:
Checked PP. The first thing is a fuel ac... Feb 2 2008, 05:19 PM
KaptKaos I put a new fuel filter on it today, and I "t... Feb 16 2008, 06:40 PM
racerx9146 try pull the intake boot off the cis fuel distribu... Feb 16 2008, 08:23 PM
KaptKaos I was following Slits' CIS issues.
IIRC - h... Mar 29 2008, 09:52 PM
SLITS Joe, the center piston is what HAS TO BE FREE. It... Mar 30 2008, 08:11 AM
Gint PS Gint ... I started to write this up for your si... Mar 30 2008, 01:25 PM
SLITS
[quote name='SLITS' post='1014594' date='Mar 30 2... Mar 31 2008, 12:44 PM
KaptKaos :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: ... Mar 30 2008, 09:45 AM
euro911 ... Danka Herr Doktor!
I'd love to come o... Mar 30 2008, 02:25 PM
KaptKaos :rotfl:
We really should build one of these.
E... Mar 30 2008, 02:50 PM
Eric_Shea
It's "Professor" H-E-L-L-O!
... Mar 30 2008, 06:19 PM
Dr Evil :popcorn: Mmm, Vicodin Apr 1 2008, 02:43 AM
KaptKaos IT IS ALIVE! :trophy: :trophy:
But.......... May 4 2008, 06:24 PM
SLITS
[size=7][color=#FF0000]IT IS ALIVE! :trophy... May 4 2008, 11:23 PM
shoguneagle Great job and excellent support as always from fol... Aug 17 2009, 09:03 PM![]() ![]() |
|
Lo-Fi Version | Time is now: 30th September 2026 - 11:03 PM |
| All rights reserved 914World.com © since 2002 |
|
914World.com is the fastest growing online 914 community! We have it all, classifieds, events, forums, vendors, parts, autocross, racing, technical articles, events calendar, newsletter, restoration, gallery, archives, history and more for your Porsche 914 ... |