Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> springs vs sway bar
lonnie152
post Dec 29 2007, 11:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,372

74 car 2.0

bought pair of 140 lbs. progressive rear springs. car is fitted with stock front and rear sway bars. is spring rate so high that rear sway bar is not needed or desirable? running 195/60/15 tires

thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
PeeGreen 914
post Dec 29 2007, 11:56 PM
Post #2

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Really depends on what you want to do. Are you planning on AXing it? If so you need to go up to about 200lb and ditch the rear sway. If not you may like it.
+Quote Post
lonnie152
post Dec 30 2007, 05:48 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,372

thank you for responses and will provide more detail in hopes that your comments will follow...

bought car to compete in NW Classic MotorCar Rallye this summer. The three day event (TSD style rallye) usually covers some 7 to 800 miles (on secondary raods) mostly in Oregon and Washington. Have done this a number of times in other cars and now want to have a go in my newly purchased 914. Driving will be spirited. Event is limited to 1974 and earlier cars.

experience (and my own natural lack of ability) has taught me handling and go power do help especially when communication has broken down between me and the navigator.

with the above in mind my specific questions would include:
1. would prefer oversteer to understeer and so would the rear bar and progressive springs combo i have mentioned accomplish this;
2. assume i should leave front alone (am installing turbo tie-rods next week) and not upsize the bar;
3. tires may be dated and want to stay somewhat close to stock appearence and so size (195.60.15) any recommendations;
4. car seems to run ok, but hard to start and the complexity surrounding FI and old wiring has me thinking real hard about webers. I run webers on others cars and have good luck with them;
5. to run the car in the hot time of the year at speed, what do i need to watch for;

many thanks for you comments.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 10:32 AM