Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> I quit, day job..., Time to take the bull by the horns
TravisNeff
post May 24 2005, 02:41 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

The past year or two my job has been primarily project related, meaning I had to have outside work rather than supporting my inside people (IT Support). My project work is not something that I can solicit, I am riding on the heels of my business groups to pull me in. That has all but stopped for a big city project I have been working on as they fired their head water guy at the city of Phoenix a few months ago.

So project work slowed down last year and I have been charging and utilizing my time internally - which they said a few months ago that I could only do xx amount of in house time, otherwise go home.

Been fun for the past few months as I had lots of time for projects but my vacation has ran out so it is feast or famine. I have a lot of things that have been piling up, most importantly a hefty attorney bill for my divorce.

At any rate, today was the day (almost 10 years) that I had to call it quits. I asked that they lay me off, as they hired me for full time employment and that is not what they can give me (so I can be eligable for unemployment while I look for work, and not get into trouble on divorce ). If they don't do that, consider this my notice. Time to cash out my retirement and get rid of the old skeletons in the closet and be able to work for less with more in my pocket.

Hard to do, but I know that this is the first step in a personal rebirth. Took me a few hours to pick up the phone and call today, I am still getting a little work but not enough to take care of all of lifes expenses.

Time for a fresh start, maybe I will get a paper route (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

Funny thing is that people are creatures of habit and hate change, but change is the only thing you can bank on in life. Take it in stride and be in control of your life, it sucks when others dictate how you live. Not that this is a woe as me, but rather - good for me - I hope....

Oh well, more time for MC braces or something - got another 16 made yesterday and today. Beer money (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/drunk.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Travis Neff   I quit, day job...   May 24 2005, 02:41 PM
Mueller   Good luck...the hardest part is making the 1st ste...   May 24 2005, 02:47 PM
joea9146   Best of luck to you.... Just be careful cashing ou...   May 24 2005, 02:49 PM
tat2dphreak   best of luck man! it takes a huge set of brass...   May 24 2005, 02:53 PM
Travis Neff   Thanks for the words of encouragement. I really w...   May 24 2005, 03:01 PM
Dr. Roger   I've got friends doing under the table I.T. wo...   May 24 2005, 03:06 PM
Travis Neff   http://www.914world.com/bbs2/htm...   May 24 2005, 03:12 PM
anthony   I wouldn't cash out the retirement. Run the nu...   May 24 2005, 03:27 PM
Travis Neff   You are correct in how much I would have in retire...   May 24 2005, 03:34 PM
MecGen   Hi Well I see you and the Atty got$ things se...   May 24 2005, 04:57 PM
morphenspectra   <...   May 24 2005, 05:09 PM
Travis Neff   Joe, great words of wisdom. I think there are sev...   May 24 2005, 05:22 PM
Travis Neff   Go figure, just got a mass mailing from my higher ...   May 24 2005, 05:27 PM
Toast   <...   May 24 2005, 07:38 PM
MW 914  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 11:21 PM