Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Re-plating II, parts are much better, but...
Doug Leggins
post Jun 2 2005, 11:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 261
Region Association: None

About a week ago i decided to give the plating shop in Indy the chance to correct their mistake of poorly replating my 914 parts. Drove to Indy yesterday afternoon and picked up my re-replated parts. The "yellow" zinc dichromate parts look good (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) . Not as good as I expected. I was told by the owner that they would go above and beyond to correct their mistake and get the parts to look great. They didn't! Still a couple of flaws that shouldn't be there, but stuff that I can work with and then they will look great on the car. He did a poor job again on the replating of the silver parts. So he took a scotch brite pad to them to polish them up. Well that left scratches in the finish (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif) The guy proved to me in several ways that he is just basically a dumbass. I'll need to put a little time into the silver parts, I'll get them to look better before I put them on the car.

All in all a fairly shitty first plating experience! But...I'll have the parts looking great before they are installed.

By chance any of you need plating work done in Indianapolis, stay away from Metal Finishing Co.! The owner, Damian Mc Dowell, is pretty much full of shit and is not at all opposed to lying face to face. This guy talked a fantastic talk but doesn't deliver what he promises. And while I'm at it -his prices are too high!

Here is some pics. The zinc di-chromate parts really do look pretty good. Only a couple of flaws that many folks wouldn't care about. But I am damn picky!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Doug Leggins   Re-plating II   Jun 2 2005, 11:50 AM
Doug Leggins   another   Jun 2 2005, 11:51 AM
Doug Leggins   last one   Jun 2 2005, 11:51 AM
CptTripps   I was just wondering last night "I wonder how Doug...   Jun 2 2005, 11:59 AM
neo914-6   just for reference, what did that batch set you ba...   Jun 2 2005, 12:54 PM
CptTripps     Jun 2 2005, 01:04 PM
Pnambic   Dang it Doug, ya shoulda told me you were up here....   Jun 2 2005, 01:47 PM
Eric_Shea   Looks a lot better Doug. If you have another ba...   Jun 2 2005, 01:51 PM
Lou W     Jun 2 2005, 02:02 PM
Doug Leggins  
  Jun 2 2005, 03:44 PM
Headrage   What are those comb looking pieces?   Jun 2 2005, 03:49 PM
Andyrew   For the seat latch... Tooth in the seat rail alow...   Jun 2 2005, 03:57 PM
Headrage   AHA, thanks...   Jun 2 2005, 04:02 PM
Doug Leggins  
  Jun 2 2005, 04:04 PM
Lou W   Doug, Thanks for the info on the price, I don...   Jun 2 2005, 04:16 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 12:23 PM