Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Targa top bracing, Is this possible?
jamara
post Sep 21 2006, 12:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,645

I've been considering various means of stiffening the chassis of the 914 from the firewall area forward. It seems most people prefer the clamshell method on the outer longs, some prefer the inner long/firewall bracing of our very own engman, or some of course prefer the ever-true rollbar.

What about welding in cross bracing right beneath the targa top from one corner of the windshield frame diagonally across to the other side on the targa rollbar, creating an X? I know a very few, very rare 914's had a solid, welded in top with no targa. Wouldn't welding in bracing be similar? I know it wouldn't look as pretty with the targa top off, but I am just curious if anyone has done it.

Besides, I am honestly not a huge fan of the targa anyway and I seldom take mine off. Actually, in 7 months of owning my car as a daily driver I have never driven with it off and I live in So Cal. (I know, why even own the car, right? (':D', 'smid_4')
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif))

However, this is not a question about my strange anti-targa neurosis, whatever the nature of it might be (agoraphobia, perhaps?). Rather, it is a technical question about bracing, so...anyone have any ideas?

Last thought... The only reason I can imagine that this would not serve to profoundly improve body flex is that the windshield frame is not robust enough to provide support like this and would potentially start flexing itself. But then, why would Porsche install a few solid metal, immovable targa's on a few of their really high performance cars?

Thanks for your wisdom!

James

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
jamara   Targa top bracing   Sep 21 2006, 12:07 PM
URY914   Will welding something/anything in help? Yes it wi...   Sep 21 2006, 12:15 PM
So.Cal.914   On your last question I believe that they put the ...   Sep 21 2006, 12:16 PM
sixnotfour   Factory did it heres some pics, http://www.pbase....   Sep 21 2006, 12:25 PM
jamara   You guys are always fabulous for info. Thanks much...   Sep 21 2006, 04:40 PM
Twystd1   I remember the first car I got a ride in a teener ...   Sep 21 2006, 06:20 PM
GeorgeRud   I disagree with the comments that just adding a s...   Sep 21 2006, 08:45 PM
ChicagoPete  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 03:02 PM