Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Does the engine need all those shrouds?, and other engine questions
post Sep 29 2006, 11:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,904

I am new to air cooled Porsche, as I currently run with the Porsche water coolers. My 1.7 needs rebuilding, and where is a good place to find a complete overhaul kit for it? I need cylinders, heads, pistons, and gaskets. I would stick in a Lycoming I built, but I don't think it would perform very well on the street. I just want a running motor, not some hot 2.0 liter. I have other Porsche's for my speed needs. Also, I know all the metal around the motor routes air, but is it really that effective? And is it structural, as in it is part of the mounting for the engine? I have heard three stories about air cooled engines- it will overheat without shrouds, it runs same without shroud, and it runs cooler without shroud. I was thinking about mounting electric fans on the under side of the engine cover to extract hot air as well. Anybody try that out yet?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
521401   Does the engine need all those shrouds?   Sep 29 2006, 11:24 PM
sean_v8_914   Welcome to the 914(non) club! this site and P...   Sep 29 2006, 11:43 PM
Twystd1   If this is a street car. Not a pure track car. An...   Sep 29 2006, 11:44 PM
So.Cal.914   No it is not structural yes it is nessesary...Very...   Sep 29 2006, 11:47 PM
George H.   if your just looking for basic "not some hot ...   Sep 29 2006, 11:59 PM
So.Cal.914  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 01:46 AM