Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> newbie questions -electric's and interior
advtracing
post Oct 16 2009, 03:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,853
Region Association: None

Ok, i am getting ready to start the resto on a 74 2.0ltr. The car has been stored for 16 years and parts ( engine and interior ) stored under a house in cardboard boxes on the ground (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
As you can imagine the parts now have a lovly coating of rust and the interior is shot, SO questions ;
- the engine will be rebuilt with carbs , so do i still need a ecu and what do i do with the injection system chuck it / any parts worth anything?
- With the interior and seats do i (a) look for a mint set out of another car and import everything or ((IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) buy the recover items and pay for the trim guy to recover everything?
- what changes to the wiring harness is required when changing to carbs?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Oct 16 2009, 03:52 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(advtracing @ Oct 16 2009, 02:42 PM) *

Ok, i am getting ready to start the resto on a 74 2.0ltr. The car has been stored for 16 years and parts ( engine and interior ) stored under a house in cardboard boxes on the ground (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
As you can imagine the parts now have a lovly coating of rust and the interior is shot, SO questions ;
- the engine will be rebuilt with carbs , so do i still need a ecu and what do i do with the injection system chuck it / any parts worth anything?
- With the interior and seats do i (a) look for a mint set out of another car and import everything or ((IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) buy the recover items and pay for the trim guy to recover everything?
- what changes to the wiring harness is required when changing to carbs?

I know you will have to re-configure the fuel pump wiring, and get a different fuel pump. ECU will go away for sure. Same with all the sensors and Aux air regulator. Someone with carbs can chime in. Parts are worth something for sure, don't chuck them. Interior---thats just personal choice.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 16 2009, 03:57 PM
Post #3

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=25954

Slippery slope ahead ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

You'll want a better than stock Cam for your carbs. And a better exhaust. And that's just for starters ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Andy

PS: Get a low pressure carb rotary fuel pump, like the one sold by CB Performance. Worth every penny.
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Oct 16 2009, 04:43 PM
Post #4

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Don't be so hasty to dump the FI.

When i bought my 914 in 87, the engine had sat on a bench outside (uncovered) for 7 years.
In the end, all I had to do was buy new hoses (and rebuilt injectors) and I was able to get the car to start.

FI stuff is worth something as so much is NLA, and make sure you are ready to split the case to put a new cam in if you go with carbs. Otherwise, it will never be right.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
+Quote Post
advtracing
post Oct 16 2009, 06:03 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10,853
Region Association: None

I'll give you some back ground , the car has been stored for 16 years , and the engine is all stripped prior to the last owner storing under the house on the ground (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) so we are starting from scratch on the engine . I am basically taking the block and buying all new parts and building something interesting.
The past two owner , with all good intentions , brought alot of new parts inc carbs , linkages , etc... so i will use the carb set up .
The fuel injection system is in parts and as there is only 5 914's in new zealand i would have to ship the stuff overseas to sell it , which kills any value.

andy thanks for the electrical detail, i love NOT having to use early ecu's, it's a pity that pmo don't do 4 cylinder set up's.

If you would like to see exaclty were the car is at as far as work needed , check out our group's website below and look under restorations
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 02:37 AM