Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: newbie questions -electric's and interior
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
advtracing
Ok, i am getting ready to start the resto on a 74 2.0ltr. The car has been stored for 16 years and parts ( engine and interior ) stored under a house in cardboard boxes on the ground headbang.gif
As you can imagine the parts now have a lovly coating of rust and the interior is shot, SO questions ;
- the engine will be rebuilt with carbs , so do i still need a ecu and what do i do with the injection system chuck it / any parts worth anything?
- With the interior and seats do i (a) look for a mint set out of another car and import everything or (cool.gif buy the recover items and pay for the trim guy to recover everything?
- what changes to the wiring harness is required when changing to carbs?
underthetire
QUOTE(advtracing @ Oct 16 2009, 02:42 PM) *

Ok, i am getting ready to start the resto on a 74 2.0ltr. The car has been stored for 16 years and parts ( engine and interior ) stored under a house in cardboard boxes on the ground headbang.gif
As you can imagine the parts now have a lovly coating of rust and the interior is shot, SO questions ;
- the engine will be rebuilt with carbs , so do i still need a ecu and what do i do with the injection system chuck it / any parts worth anything?
- With the interior and seats do i (a) look for a mint set out of another car and import everything or (cool.gif buy the recover items and pay for the trim guy to recover everything?
- what changes to the wiring harness is required when changing to carbs?

I know you will have to re-configure the fuel pump wiring, and get a different fuel pump. ECU will go away for sure. Same with all the sensors and Aux air regulator. Someone with carbs can chime in. Parts are worth something for sure, don't chuck them. Interior---thats just personal choice.
SirAndy
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=25954

Slippery slope ahead ... biggrin.gif

You'll want a better than stock Cam for your carbs. And a better exhaust. And that's just for starters ...

driving.gif Andy

PS: Get a low pressure carb rotary fuel pump, like the one sold by CB Performance. Worth every penny.
Cupomeat
Don't be so hasty to dump the FI.

When i bought my 914 in 87, the engine had sat on a bench outside (uncovered) for 7 years.
In the end, all I had to do was buy new hoses (and rebuilt injectors) and I was able to get the car to start.

FI stuff is worth something as so much is NLA, and make sure you are ready to split the case to put a new cam in if you go with carbs. Otherwise, it will never be right.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
advtracing
I'll give you some back ground , the car has been stored for 16 years , and the engine is all stripped prior to the last owner storing under the house on the ground headbang.gif so we are starting from scratch on the engine . I am basically taking the block and buying all new parts and building something interesting.
The past two owner , with all good intentions , brought alot of new parts inc carbs , linkages , etc... so i will use the carb set up .
The fuel injection system is in parts and as there is only 5 914's in new zealand i would have to ship the stuff overseas to sell it , which kills any value.

andy thanks for the electrical detail, i love NOT having to use early ecu's, it's a pity that pmo don't do 4 cylinder set up's.

If you would like to see exaclty were the car is at as far as work needed , check out our group's website below and look under restorations
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.