Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Outer longitudinal replacement advice? Nobody?
detoxcowboy
post Nov 2 2009, 01:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

When replacing the outer longitudinal what can I expect for issues, keeping the car aligned? removal of old? refitting new ect.. I am asking prior to attempting for the first time so treat me as an ignorant. I do not want to miss align or have the car sag in half on me or something like that..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
detoxcowboy
post Nov 2 2009, 09:38 PM
Post #2

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Nov 2 2009, 11:35 AM) *

When replacing the outer longitudinal what can I expect for issues, keeping the car aligned? removal of old? refitting new ect.. I am asking prior to attempting for the first time so treat me as an ignorant. I do not want to miss align or have the car sag in half on me or something like that..

Bump.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) No one has done this? Any input appreciated? I know there are rusted inside out longs sagging out there.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 2 2009, 10:44 PM
Post #3

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Leave the top on. Remove the door. Add bracing to the door opening. Ideally a triangle from the striker plate to the upper front mount to the upper seat-belt mount. Do all that while the car is still on the ground. If you make the bracing adjustable, you can re-measure while you're working on the long and adjust if needed.

Dimensions are here:

http://www.914world.com/specs/bodydims.php

http://www.914world.com/specs/underdims.php

When welding large parts, try to move around to different spots to let your welds cool. Too much heat in one spot will shrink the metal.

Do a search here, there are a few very good step by step pictorials of a complete long replacement.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
detoxcowboy
post Nov 2 2009, 10:55 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 2 2009, 08:44 PM) *

Leave the top on. Remove the door. Add bracing to the door opening. Ideally a triangle from the striker plate to the upper front mount to the upper seat-belt mount. Do all that while the car is still on the ground. If you make the bracing adjustable, you can re-measure while you're working on the long and adjust if needed.

Dimensions are here:

http://www.914world.com/specs/bodydims.php

http://www.914world.com/specs/underdims.php

When welding large parts, try to move around to different spots to let your welds cool. Too much heat in one spot will shrink the metal.

Do a search here, there are a few very good step by step pictorials of a complete long replacement.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) Andy

Andy thank you brother!!, that all I needed and then some.. Joe
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 2 2009, 11:07 PM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

One more. Remove the engine and transmission. Not only will it take weight off the car while it's up in the air, it'll also make access to everything much, much easier ...

Take as much weight off as you can.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Andy
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 2 2009, 11:19 PM
Post #6

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

There are many guys that have posted detailed photo documentation of the process here on this site. Use the search function when you get ready to start and take the lap top out to the shop with you. Don't get discouraged, you can do it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Nov 2 2009, 11:27 PM
Post #7

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

see this

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748
+Quote Post
detoxcowboy
post Nov 3 2009, 01:01 PM
Post #8

Thank You every body!! Definately Something I want to do and as with most projects thus far I should uncover the "reality" of the depth of doing such work. I am detailed and a perfectionist syill never perfect(slurring). I am sure once I get going into rustoration, the project will grow considerabley. Good to know that others have treaded where I want to learn. I will ask again w/ pics when I am in it. But I am thinking now that it would be smart to finsh the engine shelfs, jack posts and stop until summer as I work in a driveway and am readying for paint in 3 weeks which means just about a complete disassemble of everything I have restored so far. God I which I had a shop, lift and a rotessirie, engine stand and of course more tools. I am just a perma dirt backed gravel head. Until Summer,... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 09:29 PM