Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 916 gearbox conversion kit (915 to 914)
bugat5speed
post Jun 10 2012, 02:22 AM
Post #81

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,554

speedo drive finnished now. Received the shafts for the speedo drive the last days. Only have to wait some days for the next angle drives from VDO. One in stock, but some others needed. Drive works fine in the gearbox.

Martin

Attached ImageAttached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wingnut86
post Jun 10 2012, 12:31 PM
Post #82

...boola la boo boola boo...

Member No.: 11,645
Region Association: South East States

GORGEOUS (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jun 10 2012, 05:35 PM
Post #83

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Jun 10 2012, 10:31 AM) *

Beautiful work Martin.
Very interested, like many others need more feedback from actual driven examples.
Also, would help to have real price on group buy with given numbers of obligated buyers.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bugat5speed
post Jun 11 2012, 12:32 AM
Post #84

Hi,

thanks for the compliment.

Re. feedback about driven samples I can say that the mechanical components are 100 % repro of th eoriginal 916 kit of Porsche from the 70s. So ask in the forum if anybody drives a 916 kit and what his experiences are. Some kits in the US already and I know that at least one is driving and that customer is very satisfied (one guy in this thread). Some in Europe, but many still in restauration work.

One gearbox in my workshop will be handed out to a customer the next days. He will probably post, but I leave it up to him.

Not many requests on group buy, so don´t know who really is interested. By this I ask once more and think that it would be better if replies are posted here in 914world. Will give prices as soon as I know about demand.

B.t.w: $ is much stronger to Euro than the last months.

Martin
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 11 2012, 06:47 AM
Post #85

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I understand there are a couple different 915 trans. Which one is the best to use with your conversion kit?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bugat5speed
post Jun 11 2012, 11:20 AM
Post #86

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 11 2012, 02:47 PM) *

I understand there are a couple different 915 trans. Which one is the best to use with your conversion kit?

You can use each type of 915 with my conversion kit. If you want to go the mechanical speedo route you must use one of the early magnesium type trannies. There is no gearwheel on the mainshaft on those gearboxes with electronic speedo, so you can not convert to mechanical speedo later.

Martin
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jun 11 2012, 08:32 PM
Post #87

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

The most preferred 915 trans is the 1977 915 Trans. It's the last of the magnesium (lightest) and the first for the clutch return spring. Later 915 trans are aluminum. I think they are 20 pounds heavier than the magnesium trans. I think 1975 was the first for the 8:31 ring and pinion. 8:31 ring and pinion is much stronger than the earlier 7:31 ring and pinion. The 914 901 trans is also a 7:31 ring and pinion. The 7:31 ring and pinion on both 901 and 915 are both course thread and can share axle flanges and differentials including limited slips. The 8:31 ring and pinion 915 gear boxes also have higher gears for the bigger motors. They also have fine spline diffs and axle flanges. Pro or con I used a 1986 915 trans with Martin's kit.
+Quote Post
bugat5speed
post Jun 12 2012, 11:16 AM
Post #88

@ Steve: thanks for the infos! I will use an older 915 for my car, as I´m gonna use the 2.2 E engine (MFI) - S-configuration is the aim. If you go 2.7 or bigger it´s anyway better to have the 8:31 combination. In that case I would prefer the aluminium cased 915 although more weight - but also more stabile (just as you did).

@ all: picture shows gearbox with mounted speedo drive. Nuts of nosecone still missing. Have to install the reverse gear switch actuator still. Bolt to fix the speedo has to be turned cause left the socket too high for the original 914 screw. Next batch of nosecones will be milled down there.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
9146BRUCE
post Jun 13 2012, 01:43 PM
Post #89

Member No.: 7,670

Hi Martin I'm very interested in the group buy, but if not enough people want to do it by the end of June what would be the final cost with the 3 percent discount and shipping to California 91325 and is there a VAT charge. And what kind of payment do you prefer. I still want to get the mechanical speedo kit it looks to be the best on the market.
Thanks Bruce
+Quote Post
scraperhand
post Sep 21 2012, 09:29 PM
Post #90

Member No.: 9,325

Whats the current cost for the electronic speedo version
+Quote Post
Steve
post Sep 22 2012, 04:05 PM
Post #91

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

I would send him a direct email. The price changes depending on the exchange rate.
I bought the electronic speedo kit last December and the Euro has dropped quite a bit since then.
+Quote Post
bugat5speed
post Sep 26 2012, 07:24 AM
Post #92

@scraperhand:

price for the electronic speedo version of the kit is 2.090 Euro for export to the US. Currency is around 1:1,29 at the moment. Means in US$ 2.699 $.

Have some kits in stock at the moment. All parts for electronic speedo version stored. For mechanical speedo drive I need some smaller parts if ordered (leadtime about 3 weeks).

Freight to the US is 36 Euro, 46 $.

Martin
+Quote Post
bugat5speed
post Jan 3 2013, 10:23 AM
Post #93

Group buy offered if there is interest in it

Happy New Year to all of you!

A few days ago I was asked for a further offer for a group buy. Am planning to increase the price for the kit in the next 2 months and want to give you a further chance to create a group buy.

I herewith offer:
order of three kits and more
each single one sent to the guy who ordered
freight per kit is 36 Euro (48 US$)
price per kit reduced by 4 %, so
electronic speedo kit will be: 2.008 Euro -->2.650 US$
mechanical speedo kit will be: 2.331 Euro -->3.077 US$

for 6 kits and more
same as above, but for each kit discount will be 8%,
so prices will be:
el. speedo kit: 2.540 US$
mech. speedo kit: 2.950 US$

Money for each single ordered kit or at least deposit from all buyers must be in, before I send out kits. Do only send to thise who have paid full. Not all mech. speedo kit parts are in stock. If someone orders such a kit I only want a deposit until all parts are ready for dispatch. Then payment of balance and then dispatch of goods.

Above prices are based on currency of 1: 1,32 (today´s currency). If currency varies prices must be adjusted. Group buy offer is valid until end of January 2013.

If any questions, please ask. If I don´t reply in a reasonable time please send a reminder to my mail info@bugat5speed.de.

Thank you guys.

Martin Bott
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 3 2013, 10:57 AM
Post #94

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

confused (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) are you aware the way you have your item pricing,
for example, "el. speedo kit: 2.650 US$", reads as two dollars and sixty five cents/ $2.65? not to be picky but if you need to move the decimal point it would then read as $26.50 per or $265.00 or $2650.00. hopes this helps to clarify.

k
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jan 3 2013, 11:06 AM
Post #95

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 3 2013, 11:57 AM) *

...are you aware the way you have your item pricing,
for example, "el. speedo kit: 2.650 US$", reads as ...

Most of the rest of the world uses '.' where US/UK uses ',' and vice-versa.

IOW - '.' is thousands separator, ',' is "decimal point.

Good to know when interpreting numbers written in other countries...
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jan 3 2013, 11:28 AM
Post #96

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 3 2013, 11:57 AM) *

confused (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) are you aware the way you have your item pricing,
for example, "el. speedo kit: 2.650 US$", reads as two dollars and sixty five cents/ $2.65? not to be picky but if you need to move the decimal point it would then read as $26.50 per or $265.00 or $2650.00. hopes this helps to clarify.

k

those of us who have been overseas already know how to read this... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

just teasing you. It's a good point to make for those who might be confused. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 3 2013, 11:42 AM
Post #97

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

i KNOW they're not $2.65 or $26.50. maybe $265.00...but $2650.00? there must be a hefty import tax for declared value when shipped west of the atlantic.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 3 2013, 02:29 PM
Post #98

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 3 2013, 09:42 AM) *
but $2650.00? there must be a hefty import tax for declared value when shipped west of the atlantic.

Did you read the whole tread and are aware of all the parts included in the kit?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
larryM
post Jan 3 2013, 07:27 PM
Post #99

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

well, i AM interested in joining the group buy - since i'm doing a 3.2 upgrade right now & had decided to stick with a 901 sideshifter since I have 3 of them

(I also have a rebuilt late 915 (electric speedo, but the Total Cost of Conversion via WEVO looked out-of-range, and the totally non-std look is a put-off)

after wading thru 5 pages of posts above it is still not clear to me how much difficulty is involved, whether additional machining on-the-fly is necessary at time of installation, and what one does to actually fit a shifter & which, if any 914 shifter mechanism will work

several posts indicate there are a couple of these actually running, but apparently were done prior to the final version of kit was completed and required some masterful modifications to finish-

so how about a step-by-step list, along with a price list - including the cost of sending my existing 915 to a master for ring-gear flipping and 916-kit install, plus the mysterious shifter setup; and let's not forget the clutch conversion setup necessary to actualy operate the 915 in a 914 chassis ???

are we talkin' $5-6K here?

- anyone? (Chris?)

TIA
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jan 3 2013, 10:19 PM
Post #100

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316

I can't chime-in on the 916 system but I can on the other thoughts you had. I choose to install a 930 trans in my 914 but do it right. I had California Motorsports do the entire conversion (to the trans). They machined the case for a flipped ring gear, shortened the bellhousing, main shaft, and rebuilt the entire transaxle. The total cost parts/labor was a little over 4k. The shifter was another $800 bucks and I had to set that up myself.

What the 916 adds to a 901 I do not know. I've learned whether you're working on a 901 or 930 box - it's always expensive to "play"! Best wishes!
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 05:52 PM