Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 5 6 7  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Subaru 6 Cylinder EZ30R Conversion PROGRESS, VIDEOS Cruising, Videos WOT!!!!
fat73
post Jun 22 2010, 08:23 PM
Post #121

W9R1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,043
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(budman5201 @ Jun 22 2010, 03:45 PM) *

6 + hours at the dyno, Had to cut it short. $$$$

If we only had more time, we could of played a little more and got some more out of it....

So far we got 206.2 HP and 175.6 Lbs Torque AT the WHEELS!!

This is also with the restrictive 2006 Porsche 2.7 Boxster stock Muffler. Most of the dyno time took tracing down a misfire problem which turned out to be 2 injector plugs that were not fully grabbing the contacts when you plugged them in. VERY frustrating and $$ consuming.

DYNO SHEET ATTACHED TO THIS POST. (look below)

video video video....gotta have some sound!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Jun 24 2010, 12:43 AM
Post #122

Member No.: 7,635

QUOTE(fat73 @ Jun 22 2010, 07:23 PM) *

Okay tell me what kind of video u want.....drive by or my son taking a video from passenger seat?
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Jun 24 2010, 12:58 AM
Post #123

Okay horsepower guys....the guys in new Zealand said they can get a few less ponies but their torque was about 40 lbs higher, can u look at my dyno sheets and see anything that would help me pick up more torque? Stock engine but 2.7 liter boxster muffler
+Quote Post
GS Guy
post Jun 24 2010, 05:46 AM
Post #124

Member No.: 2,325
Region Association: North East States

Not too shabby by any means!
I'll take a WAG:
1) is the throttle body opening all the way at WOT?
2) funny dip in the torque curve - guessing something is going on with the exhaust? Possibly primary lengths (diameter?) not optimized for cams/headflow/operating range?
3) Maybe too restrictive on the exhaust? Be interesting to see what a free-er flowing muffler would do, and larger exhaust tubing sizes.
4) Also, is the air filter big enough for the required airflow?

I want to hear that thing winging out at 7K rpm! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Jeff
+Quote Post
fat73
post Jun 24 2010, 06:05 AM
Post #125

W9R1

QUOTE(budman5201 @ Jun 23 2010, 10:43 PM) *

QUOTE(fat73 @ Jun 22 2010, 07:23 PM) *

Okay tell me what kind of video u want.....drive by or my son taking a video from passenger seat?

Anything will do...we just want to hear 'er run.
ed
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 24 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #126

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

You can lean out your fuel curve 1/2 to 3/4 of a point from 3500-6k. Try getting it to run closer to 12.5.

Asside from that, your muffler might be to restrictive like the others have mentioned. Try simply unbolting it and taking a butt dyno (If you do this, dont lean out your fuel curve....).
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Jun 24 2010, 12:12 PM
Post #127

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 24 2010, 10:53 AM) *

You can lean out your fuel curve 1/2 to 3/4 of a point from 3500-6k. Try getting it to run closer to 12.5.

Asside from that, your muffler might be to restrictive like the others have mentioned. Try simply unbolting it and taking a butt dyno (If you do this, dont lean out your fuel curve....).

Well thats what we thought also, but believe it or not, when we went leaner in those ranges and did a hp pull the hp numbers went down. We then turned around and richened it up and came up with max hp at that AFR.

Okay this is my theory for the next dyno run. I have a K&N huge filter with a 3.0 inch opening also. I'll put that one on. Mine now has a smaller opening and pointing down so i dont have to worry about rain the 3-4 times a year that it hits.

I also am debating using a aftermarket 3.2 Boxster stainless system that I see on ebay. They are about $500 bucks, but i bet i can find one here locally used. Guys are always upgrading their boxsters etc. And the aftermarket ones will bolt right on quick since i brought my exhaust right to the boxster muffler inlets and kept their brackets. A butt dyno without muffler would be WAY too loud for my neighbors, i'll wait for the dyno.

Tonight I'll do a cool video/ sound file but i need my son for it and i am going to wait till later tonight so its not 112 degrees out like it is now. I'll have him on the sidewalk and do a driveby and at least up to 3rd gear full throttle, but thats about it. (already up to 90ish by then)
It does sounds awesome with this muffler at WOT, sorry guys youll have to wait another half a day for it.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jun 24 2010, 01:16 PM
Post #128

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

Could it be down on power because you're trying to put a German muffler on a Japanese engine... in a German car? And somebody's offended?
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 24 2010, 01:38 PM
Post #129

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Budman, Its not going to be THAT loud.. Your still going to have the exhaust piping to calm it down. Do it at 2pm on a saturday or weekday if you can, Driving at low speeds wont be deffeneing. It'll be loud sure, but you'll be OK.

WOT you'll have to be in the country for though. But you'll be able to get to the country and back without really pissing someone off.. This will tell you if there is something up with that muffler without spending money..

When I did my v8 conversion I used the exhaust that came with it, it had a cat and was pretty small tubing. After swapping that out with a nice dual system I went from about 170hp to ~ 220hp. It was THAT restrictive!
+Quote Post
charliew
post Jun 24 2010, 04:20 PM
Post #130

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

I have never read of or experienced a quiet muffler that will make the same power output as a freeflowing one. Also as you were saying the air input needs to be large enough to match the cfm requirements of a 3.0 not a 2.0. What is the ID of the throttle body?You can see all the way through the exhaust of a high flowing exhaust, it will just be different size expansion chambers to level the highs.

The 180 of the wrx at the wheels was a awd (4wheels driving) power at the wheels that is using another ring and pinion so it would be higher in just a 2wd rwd application as you saw in the 2.0 you had earlier.

The na motor stock is always engineered for more torque down low to give the best normal use mpg and performance. It won't have a big hp and torque number until it has a cam that flows more air and fuel than stock and also usually will rev higher to flow more air. Try to get the tuning stuff from the aussies and disconnect the muffler and see how that goes and then you will have a target to shoot for.

You can save some money by data logging and tuning more yourself. Be sure to monitor the afr if you do try a more open exhaust as Andrew said. Your motor will get a lot more expensive if it needs new pistons.

Better flowing muffler and more tuning with air intake that is 10% bigger than the tb and it should be as good as it can be.

Also I would have to ask my son but I'm pretty sure his afr's are higher that 12.5 for the na part of his tuning. His intake ports flow about 280 cfm at 420. lift on his 2.5, I would bet the 3.0 will flow 240 stock at 380 400 lift.

I don't really see the muffler causing the torque dip at lower rpms.
+Quote Post
fat73
post Jun 24 2010, 05:19 PM
Post #131

W9R1

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jun 24 2010, 11:16 AM) *

Could it be down on power because you're trying to put a German muffler on a Japanese engine... in a German car? And somebody's offended?

I used a FLowmaster (for a Camaro - one in two out) for my WRX conversion. It sounds awesome (really deep and throaty and howls when you wind it up), nothing like the Subaru motor normally sounds.

Ed
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Jun 24 2010, 08:08 PM
Post #132

Cruising Video (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

oops more suspense, have to load to youtube. mp4 isnt accepted on here.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

youtube video!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_aNEWTTgls
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Jun 24 2010, 08:17 PM
Post #133

MORE Gas pedal! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLTLXkQirYM
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Jun 24 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #134

another with more gas pedal!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

youtube video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwGK3EHn4EQ
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jun 24 2010, 08:36 PM
Post #135

Cool, sounds just like a Boxster. That's what I expected since the firing order for the two engines are almost the same. Is that the sound you were after?
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Jun 24 2010, 09:02 PM
Post #136

Yeah i am actually very happy with the sound. future license plate....

73BXSTR
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jun 25 2010, 09:01 AM
Post #137

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Ha ha! Good one!

So the big question, how is it to drive, compared with the WRX motor? Maybe a little less power/torque right now, but better throttle response?
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Jun 25 2010, 11:38 AM
Post #138

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jun 25 2010, 08:01 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Ha ha! Good one!

So the big question, how is it to drive, compared with the WRX motor? Maybe a little less power/torque right now, but better throttle response?

Yeah throttle response and drivebility are greatly increased. It definitely is not a 4 second to 60 mph car anymore but it still gets there in 5. So very quick. Highway passing is more natural with immediate response and quick. Since this is a 7000 plus rpm motor it is definitely still fun. The stock subaru computer limits it to 6800 which is wierd because top HP wasn't reached to just over 7000 and then started to taper off at the dyno... It seems like the engine that was meant to go in if they did this Porsche again in 2010. Gotta get the puck clutch out of there. That's the only drivebility flaw. Oh and it gets all the performance with pump gas which is very nice. The other one was just too damn tempting to run high boost all the time and that was just a waste of race gas when cruising...

All in all it drives like a new sports car should, If I would closely compare to cars I've rode in.....I would say the 2009 3.2 boxster s, but not with their Cadillac ride quality.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 02:39 AM