Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru 6 Cylinder EZ30R Conversion PROGRESS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
budman5201
First pics of my EZ30R engine with 1000 miles total!
Now to take out the Ej20 turbo this weekend and see if the new engine can fit on the renegade engine cradle!
budman5201
one more on stand
TravisNeff
Nice!
DBCooper
VERY nice! I can't wait to see how this turns out.
GS Guy
I've long thought that would be the ultimate "6" conversion. biggrin.gif

Looking forward to the progress thread.

Now all it needs is an IR EFI intake system to complete the look!
Zaney
I missed if this Six is going to be N/A or turboed? beerchug.gif
Porcharu
How about a side view pic so we can see the oil pan. Is this the engine with 1 big exhaust port or 3?
TwinTurbo914
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Apr 2 2010, 11:03 AM) *

How about a side view pic so we can see the oil pan. Is this the engine with 1 big exhaust port or 3?

It should be a three port engine, due to the composite intake, the earlier engines didn't have variable cam timing or valve lift, and had aluminum intakes.
budman5201
EJ20 is out finally!

Yes it is the 3 Port Exhaust, not one.

Its going to be N/A, check out the oil pan, save depth down as Ej20, but obviously different.

Just ordered the Motor mounts(different than Ej20) from ebay yesterday, so i'll be trying to fit this baby into the Renegade Mount next week.

Stock Subaru Engine wiring Plugs also ordered, so this wiring will be clean! Should plug right into the 2 square electrical plugs on the engine.

Going to be Dual exhaust, and I am making the header, so you guys can see my Tig Welding, I think I am way better at it now.
budman5201
side
budman5201
Underneath....hey also if anyone knows...Why doesnt this Engine have a fuel return line? They all dead end into the injectors equally with no return. Have to figure out how to hook this up.
Mike Bellis
My Dodge V10 has no return line either. It uses a 45psi pump to the 45psi injectors. The pump has an internal bypass to "dead head" the fuel during idle.
Dr Evil
Awesome! I have been wanting to do that conversion since I learned about the engine when it came out. It is the only redeeming quality of the nast looking Tribeca barf.gif
Gint
Sweet! Disregard my question in the "best conversion" thread.
jasons
Looks good! Do you get the motors locally?
MoveQik
Very nice. That car is going to be a rocket. Get it done in time for coffee next month! biggrin.gif
FourBlades

That is a beautiful engine.

What kind of HP and torque does it make?

John
Wannabe 914-6 owner
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 2 2010, 11:21 PM) *

Awesome! I have been wanting to do that conversion since I learned about the engine when it came out. It is the only redeeming quality of the nast looking Tribeca barf.gif

Nasty looking????? My wifes 06, sorry about the cell phone pics smile.gif
Dr Evil
Its ugly, particularly the rear....
budman5201
I can get the Ej20s local, but this one I got lucky... I got this UNBELIEVEABLE deal on ebay. 5 minutes after it was posted....ready for this deal??.........$1100 + $150 shipping from CA to AZ! I know!!!! holy crap! I hit buy it now SO FAST!

The computer is going to cost me $2200 itself! But considering these engines usually go for $4000 in this condition, its worth the expensive computer.

Actually i was WAY wrong on the HP #'s. My eJ20 Turbo motor put out 252 hp, but this was at the wheels! My new N/A Ez30R puts out 250 hp, but thats at the crank, so about 30 Hp lower. But who says i wont put a nice simple, 50 hp Nos Jet in it. (my enventual plan) Gotta keep that Hp the same, too fun!

Weight came in at 315 lbs, measured today. The Ej20 is about 40 lbs lighter.

Just figured out where all the wires go, still waiting on factory male end of the engine plugs to arrrive in the mail.
Wannabe 914-6 owner
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 3 2010, 09:53 PM) *

Its ugly, particularly the rear....

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder:) My wife loves it, and when shes happy the earth continues to spin smile.gif

PS.. This replaced our Vue, which blew a new Bridgestone on a corner on a wet day, before Thanksgiving. Just thankful they all came out next day, battered but alive. The cottonwood was the only thing that kept them from landing in the creek upside down. My oldest was sitting seat belted in on the passenger side, but ended up in the back seat. Had he stayed in his seat, there is no doubt that it would have not turned out well for him. Happy Easter and best of luck getting your vehcles back on the road. Especially that fugly Forrester. Now there is a car that has a profile only its owner could love biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
pktzygt
It's a Tribeca. But it's also fugly on the inside. Perrin had turbo'd that motor though.
budman5201
WOW! doesnt that EZ30R look like it was made for that engine bay?? FITS like a glove!

Renegade Hybrids Engine Cradle works with this engine also, lines right up with motor mount position.

See pics. It will be about 1.5 inch higher in engine bay. Still waiting on motor mounts, temporary smaller spacer in place of mounts.

This is just a mock up, Have to pull back out to put flywheel on. (being resurfaced)
budman5201
another
budman5201
look at all that space around throttle body!
budman5201
as i stated earlier, engine will be about 1.5 inch higher, but look at where it is now. NOT bad. When mounts come in I think it will be perfect!
budman5201
on cradle
budman5201
Here is a pic of where the motor mount lines up, waiting on mount to come in mail
budman5201
side clearance
budman5201
passenger side clearance
Dr Evil
Friggen awesome smile.gif Just as I had imagined it. You got a smoking deal on that engine. I hope the price comes down in the next few years so I can afford to do one of theses smilie_pokal.gif
Tom
That looks like it will be a screamer alright and looks pretty nice too! Just wondering, do you plan on fabing some tin to seperate the upper engine comp from the lower?
Tom
budman5201
QUOTE(Tom @ Apr 6 2010, 12:36 AM) *

That looks like it will be a screamer alright and looks pretty nice too! Just wondering, do you plan on fabing some tin to seperate the upper engine comp from the lower?
Tom

No I don't think so. In fact I'm going to try to get rid of most of the leftover engine shelf in there. Less weight the better.
jasons
QUOTE(budman5201 @ Apr 6 2010, 01:32 AM) *

No I don't think so. In fact I'm going to try to get rid of most of the leftover engine shelf in there. Less weight the better.

That fit is great! I was under my project car last night grinding welds, thinking that you should get rid of all that unnecessary sheet metal. It would really clean up the engine bay.
Porcharu
Yes cut the unneeded sheet metal out - that stuff is sharp and will cut you up every time you work on the engine. Will look a lot better to boot.
budman5201
Fits like a glove. Stock Subaru mounts fit right into the holes of the renegade mount. Only mod was to made the holes slightly wider on the mount where the mount bolt comes through. The 3.0 liter mount had the 2 studs on the mount a little closer together. But same angle, and slipped right into the 2.0 mount location! Sweet!
budman5201
The oil Pan is Perfect. Great clearance !
budman5201
side view
budman5201
final position of intake, yep slight mod needed to rear firewall, but maybe i might be able to slip a 90 degree Coupler in there.

I like that you can see the Spider intake real well.
Andyrew
Reminds me of the 928 intake. Cool!
Gary
If anyone in the PNW wants to follow budman's lead, I'll offer moral support: CL ad for SVX conversion motor.

biggrin.gif
scotty
Dear Subaru,

Some friends of mine have this idea for a new production car...

budman5201
Oh stay away from those 3.3 s. They are heavy and only put out 200 or so hp. I bet my engine is 50 lbs lighter.
EdwardBlume
I need to drive a bad ass Subi conversion.. it sure sounds / looks good... idea.gif
camaroz1985
Can you flip the intake and move the alternator so you don't have to cut the rear firewall?
budman5201
QUOTE(camaroz1985 @ Apr 7 2010, 08:00 AM) *

Can you flip the intake and move the alternator so you don't have to cut the rear firewall?

yep i think you can, but I need A/C in Arizona. Thats where the compressor goes.

budman5201
Quick mockup of header, will redo in quality steel. Just tack welded for a fitment through engine cradle..
Using a 3-1 flat collector from STBEXHAUST.com for the exit
budman5201
rear without collector yet (using this FMC one)
camaroz1985
QUOTE(budman5201 @ Apr 7 2010, 11:18 AM) *

QUOTE(camaroz1985 @ Apr 7 2010, 08:00 AM) *

yep i think you can, but I need A/C in Arizona. Thats where the compressor goes.

I see, but you don't need power steering. I'm sure you could figure out how to move the alternator over there. Or just cut the fire wall if you are ok with that.
atsealevel914
QUOTE(budman5201 @ Apr 6 2010, 07:14 PM) *

Oh stay away from those 3.3 s. They are heavy and only put out 200 or so hp. I bet my engine is 50 lbs lighter.

They put out 230 hp and are lighter than a porsche six.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.