Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru 6 Cylinder EZ30R Conversion PROGRESS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
SLKWrx
Sweet... Open header! shades.gif

QUOTE(budman5201 @ Apr 7 2010, 08:01 PM) *

rear without collector yet (using this FMC one)

charliew
If I remember right the 3.3 uses 2.2 stuff and the 30r has offset rods which means no aftermarket rods for boosting.

You can ceramic coat the tubes you've already started with. The LT1 motor mount uses a heat shield that looks like a turbo blanket. You might want to put one on your motor mounts if they are going to be that close to the headers.
TwinTurbo914
QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 8 2010, 11:12 AM) *

If I remember right the 3.3 uses 2.2 stuff and the 30r has offset rods which means no aftermarket rods for boosting.

You can ceramic coat the tubes you've already started with. The LT1 motor mount uses a heat shield that looks like a turbo blanket. You might want to put one on your motor mounts if they are going to be that close to the headers.

The 3.3 did use the 2.2 stuff, but the 3.0r does not have the offset rods, the 3.6r has them, the 3.0r is one the one you want to make big power as there is aftermarket pistons, sleeves, and rods unlike the 3.6r.
charliew
Great info. It sounds like you are on your toes on this swap. I truly think this is a better swap in the 914 mostly because of the sound of the 6. I do think the suby tranny is also the way to go.
atsealevel914
The 3.3 uses same aftermarket rods that are available for the ej20 and 2.2 but you should have a set of six rods balanced. You can also use the 2.2 pistons but your compression will be way to low and they are not forged. very nice aftermarket stuff is available for the 3.3 like high capacity/low clearance aluminum oil pans, forged pistons in 8.5,9.5,11.0 ratios, forged rods, Several performance cams. Computer software for turbo and NA applications for factory computer. all the aftermarket clutch components from the 2.0's too.
Porcharu
QUOTE(budman5201 @ Apr 6 2010, 08:14 PM) *

Oh stay away from those 3.3 s. They are heavy and only put out 200 or so hp. I bet my engine is 50 lbs lighter.

I think this guy might disagree. 3.3 flat six
budman5201
Okay, Guess what guys. NOW Link ECU is only dealing through one guy in CA named Neil....and....they raised their prices to $2500 bucks from $1500 for the Extreme ECU. What a crock! Storm is now $1450-1500 from $950.

Does anyone have a better connection? I guess Link just hired a new VP and he's rasing prices across the board, thats also for their Renamed ECU Vi-pec v44 and v88.

I am getting the extreme, because i can justify it, since i got a Screaming deal on my engine, but its definately a few weeks out now.

Greedy VP's. Ya think if they just lowered it, they could corner the whole market and everyone would have a LINK ECU in their sandrail or kit car.

charliew
I'm not up on link but isn't that what outfront sells? They may have what you want in inventory and may give you a better price. For 2500.00 I probably would learn megasquirt or try another brand. SDS or whatever will support cam timing.
DBCooper
QUOTE(budman5201 @ Apr 9 2010, 09:35 AM) *

Okay, Guess what guys. NOW Link ECU is only dealing through one guy in CA named Neil....and....they raised their prices to $2500 bucks from $1500 for the Extreme ECU. What a crock! Storm is now $1450-1500 from $950.

Does anyone have a better connection? I guess Link just hired a new VP and he's rasing prices across the board, thats also for their Renamed ECU Vi-pec v44 and v88.

I am getting the extreme, because i can justify it, since i got a Screaming deal on my engine, but its definately a few weeks out now.

Greedy VP's. Ya think if they just lowered it, they could corner the whole market and everyone would have a LINK ECU in their sandrail or kit car.

I sent you a PM a week or so ago with a link from NASIOC about a Kiwi Link dealer offering a group buy. OK if they get a group going, but if you don't want to wait you could buy singles from him as well.

Edit: Oh, just went over there to get the link and see you've posted in the thread, so you got the PM. Did you try to contact Dave? Any answer back, or is that now a dead end?
budman5201
Hmmm, let me email him about a group buy and get back with you....
DBCooper
I think it would be tough to get a group together, but if he'll sell for a high-viz group buy he should certainly sell singles. Worth asking anyway.
Brando
So why isn't this going to be a low to moderate turbo setup?

Aren't those subi engines supposed to be boost-happy or somesuch? Especially if you're going to have to use a custom LINK setup anyhow with your custom headers... You'd wipe the shit-eating grins off of 996tt owners on an hourly basis!
budman5201
QUOTE(Brando @ Apr 10 2010, 01:28 PM) *

So why isn't this going to be a low to moderate turbo setup?

Aren't those subi engines supposed to be boost-happy or somesuch? Especially if you're going to have to use a custom LINK setup anyhow with your custom headers... You'd wipe the shit-eating grins off of 996tt owners on an hourly basis!

Wiping the doors off every little wrx punk was definitely fun this past year. Yes every one! Now 996 guys that would be fun too, but honestly. I am just pushing my luck with the cops.

I am looking for drivability and I love n/a engines. I would rather have a NOS bottle in back in the future. Or even mess with a different cam profile from delta. I talked to them already and they said they grind my cams too for about 14 % hp gain .
That would bring me up to 285. Whew! Who needs a turbo with that number!
Zaney
I just drove down to Tacoma yesterday and picked up their SOHC 1000 grind for my 2.5L n/a engine. I will be taking the heads to a machine shop to port and polish them before re-installing the cams.

I say go for it! driving.gif
budman5201
header driver side complete
budman5201
received other end to my engine harness! and it fits!! This is going to make wiring a TON easier.
budman5201
Can i ask a favor? If someone has stock heat exchangers on your car, can you take a pic of the axel from the back. I want to make sure i have enough clearance when i put the exhaust pipe straight back. I want to see how high the axel is above the heat exchanger and how far center or to the suspension it is......thanks guys
budman5201
while cleaning up the engine bay, found this patch panel. FUN!!
what a PITA to clean up.
strawman
QUOTE(budman5201 @ Apr 12 2010, 07:27 PM) *

header driver side complete

This is a great thread that I'm gonna watch closely. However, I'd be a little worried about the clearance between the exhaust manifold and engine mount bar -- it seems a bit close. I would bet that those two items might hit on accel/decel and make some untoward noises...

budman5201
pic of behind patch panel, to be fixed this week via my parts car donor metal.
budman5201
So far 8 hours spent on just engine bay, no where near done yet. This patching and welding all the previous owners screw holes, access holes, etc take a looooong time.

Tested my GLOSS black POR 15 tonight on the front bulkhead of the engine compartment. Its going to look nice all done.
budman5201
Just ordered a GT engine lid from Sergio. Cant wait!
budman5201
GT lid looks great! thanks Sergio.

Progress over the past week...

Stock battery area fully replaced with sheet metal from parts car. TOTal inside of engine bay cleaned up, sanded down, and coated with Black gloss POR-15.
Hell hole area was VERY rust free when i really got into it.

Center tunnel cleared of all accelerator tubes, lines,etc. Clutch Cable Tube replaced with thicker steel and Tig welded to a thick plate at rear of firewall and RELOCATED to driver side for more clearance in tunnel.

Cable Shifter relocated to inside tunnel and placed back about 6 inches toward the rear from stock location. (I am 6'4", so shifter was always a little to far from me when seat is all the way back)

EXTREME LINK ECU is now in my hands and wiring will follow before i put the engine back in.

Pics will follow in next few days

DBCooper
Sure am looking forward to those pics...
budman5201
Okay almost done guys. Here is my 2003 Boxster Muffler, I cant believe how nice it came out.

Check out the brackets needed to fab. They bolt directly to Transmission Main Stock mounting bolts for the weight and small ones on rear of transmission for stabilization not weight.

(sorrry for the crappy cell phone pics)
budman5201
Engine bay is done and engine in....a few pics before and after. Look at my nice small battery tucked down low in front of engine. Cranks over engine just fine!

Yep my welding is NOT clean, but very solid. It litterally took me about 24 total hours just to plug all the holes from previous owners and take away all the air cooled sheet metal. Battery box area done and hell hole area was solid when i was sanding it.

Clutch CABLE tube also moved to other side of tunnel. Solid FOREVER now.
budman5201
more
budman5201
more
budman5201
more
budman5201
more
boxstr
Curious, why the battery so far down low and, to me it seems difficult to get at if needed?
CCL at CAMP
budman5201
QUOTE(boxstr @ May 11 2010, 10:14 PM) *

Curious, why the battery so far down low and, to me it seems difficult to get at if needed?
CCL at CAMP

Just seemed like a good place for it. Tons of room in front of engine, two bolts and it's out. Easy access, photos don't do justice.
karmanbuilt
I'am curious too about the engine lid you're running. I've seen other members who had those on their cars. Is it for better cooling, and what do you do when it rains??
Zaney
QUOTE(karmanbuilt @ May 11 2010, 11:32 PM) *

I'am curious too about the engine lid you're running. I've seen other members who had those on their cars. Is it for better cooling, and what do you do when it rains??

Check out where he lives... Arizona. The only rain to watch out for is in Aug-Sept Monsoons every other night or so from Baja.

I would like to do a GT lid too but the PNW does not really suit it except for a strict 'sunny day' car.

Budman,
Looks awesome!!!
beer.gif

Nate
charliew
I like the muffler and the battery location. You are doing great. I really wish you would have started with the suby tranny though. The torque of the hotrodded suby will easily overcome the 901 if you run fat tires. I bet the boxter muffler will sound really good but may make too much back pressure for a turbo application.
Root_Werks
That muffler looks great and I bet it'll be nice and quiet.
budman5201
QUOTE(charliew @ May 12 2010, 09:37 AM) *

I like the muffler and the battery location. You are doing great. I really wish you would have started with the suby tranny though. The torque of the hotrodded suby will easily overcome the 901 if you run fat tires. I bet the boxter muffler will sound really good but may make too much back pressure for a turbo application.

Thanks.....btw my engine is not turbo. Ez30r n/a
aircooledtechguy
Lookin' good so far. beerchug.gif

There's a guy here in Anacortes who took an original, unmolested '73 2.0L and had a Subie SVX motor put in it.

I don't know how the SVX-6 compares with the Tribeca-6, but I can tell you that with the SVX motor it is one wild ride. He stopped by a few weeks after getting it shoe-horned in and threw me the keys. . . I rolled off in 1st, shifted into second and nailed it. Instantly it was sideways and stayed that way until I shifted into 4th at around 80mph aktion035.gif

Make sure your life insurance is up to date before testing the capabilities of your new motor biggrin.gif
budman5201
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ May 12 2010, 01:46 PM) *

Lookin' good so far. beerchug.gif

There's a guy here in Anacortes who took an original, unmolested '73 2.0L and had a Subie SVX motor put in it.

I don't know how the SVX-6 compares with the Tribeca-6, but I can tell you that with the SVX motor it is one wild ride. He stopped by a few weeks after getting it shoe-horned in and threw me the keys. . . I rolled off in 1st, shifted into second and nailed it. Instantly it was sideways and stayed that way until I shifted into 4th at around 80mph aktion035.gif

Make sure your life insurance is up to date before testing the capabilities of your new motor biggrin.gif

well my last 2.0 turbo motor was 252 hp, 272 torque at the wheels. I wonder what 250-270 NA hp at the flywheel will put to the wheels on the dyno and how it will feel on the street compared to the turbo.

The turbo was......FAST!!!. I'd say about 0-60 4.2 secs.

Anyone know exactly what the loss is in our cars on the dyno?
charliew
I know your motor is na but that probably won't be enough after about 6mo, if the tranny is still in it. You know you will want more. I didn't see how you plumbed the exhaust into the ends. Will it take a 90 on each end? I don't like no but everone has his own idea of the best way to get to a goal. A common number on a single 90degree axle loss is about 20%. That doesn't take into the turn around loss the midengine or tail dragger tranny has. Probably if someone here doesn't know a gt 40 type forum will know. google it.
Zaney
Forget the Turbo...

I say SUPERCHARGE it!!! Insta-Torque!! (I know it is for a 4 cylinder but you could make it work happy11.gif )
You would definitely need a Suby LSD 5 speed then!
Looks great!
beer.gif Nate
budman5201
Working on electronic throttle today. It's amazing how simple it is with the link Extreme ecu. I'll post a video of the pedal and throttle body plate actually moving next weekend. (pedal should be here this weekend or Monday) if anyone is curious go to linkecu.com and type in ez30r in forums and you'll see my posts where Simon just posted me a great diagram of how to hook up the elec trottle.
budman5201
fuzzy pic, but drivers side of exhaust done, now passenger side is left.

Coolant overflow and purge tank are now in and connected, Radiator hose back to engine is connected.
budman5201
My electronic throttle finally arrived!! Should be wired into this weekend and i'll try to take a video of the throttle plate opening on car with pedal. beer3.gif

wow too much coffee while taking pics today, very fuzzy!
budman5201
Sorry crappy video, but I was a little too excited that I got it working.!!

Too cool, no matter how fast or slow I hit the gas its directly a 1:1 ratio. Awesome! Cant wait to get this baby going....almost done

Here is the video of the throttle plate opening and closing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU1Dc41nv_U
budman5201
SHE RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Youtube video of it running in a day or so!

Not even tuned yet and its smooth as silk! Engine doesnt even move!

Sounds killer through that stock boxster muffler too....Quiet!

If anyone needs help wiring the ez30R, i am officially now an expert! Beer this weekend! beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(budman5201 @ May 11 2010, 09:32 PM) *

more

You should use the stock cup washers on your transmission mounts to prevent the tranny from sliding off the bolts ...

shades.gif Andy
DBCooper
Outstanding. When you do the video be sure to show ground clearance. I couldn't figure that out, if it would be sufficient if I couldn't section the oil pan, do didn't do that engine. I even bought a performance 911 banana muffler for it. I'm REALLY curious to see what you've got. That should be a dynamite power plant for a 914.
budman5201
QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 27 2010, 06:38 PM) *

Outstanding. When you do the video be sure to show ground clearance. I couldn't figure that out, if it would be sufficient if I couldn't section the oil pan, do didn't do that engine. I even bought a performance 911 banana muffler for it. I'm REALLY curious to see what you've got. That should be a dynamite power plant for a 914.

ground clearance is EXactly what the Ej25 or ej20 turbo was. It oil pan is actually level with the renegade engine cradle. VERY nice. No sectioning of oil pan needed at all.

Yep i'll post pics. and a video of it running in my driveway and i'll make sure to pan the camera on the side of the car looking underneath as well as from the rear.

Now i am pulling out my wire loom and making it look pretty since all my connections are tested. aktion035.gif
budman5201
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 27 2010, 03:12 PM) *

QUOTE(budman5201 @ May 11 2010, 09:32 PM) *

more

You should use the stock cup washers on your transmission mounts to prevent the tranny from sliding off the bolts ...

shades.gif Andy

Transmission sliding back off bolts......Impossible. The bolt that holds the aluminum bracket to the stock transmission mounts is right behind the ears of the transmission. They are so close to behind the ears you have to tighten them first then bolt the trans up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.