Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gauging interest for PnP Megasquirt solution, MS anyone?
PnP Megasquirt
Would you buy one?
Sure, that would be cool! [ 127 ] ** [87.59%]
Only interested if 100% stealth [ 11 ] ** [7.59%]
Not intrested [ 7 ] ** [4.83%]
What is it worth?
I would only buy for less then $250 [ 24 ] ** [16.55%]
I would pay up to $350 [ 56 ] ** [38.62%]
I would pay up to $500 [ 46 ] ** [31.72%]
Price is no object [ 14 ] ** [9.66%]
$0 because i don't want one [ 5 ] ** [3.45%]
Total Votes: 290
Guests cannot vote 
charliew
post Sep 30 2010, 09:36 AM
Post #121

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,958

EMI, this isn't car related. I worked for ncr, ibm and eastman kodak on electro mechanical and electronic equipment for a long time. Usually emi was the result of a low amperage signal wire being placed next to a higher amperage wire that operated a solenoid or large coil whether it's a relay or solenoid of some type. The coil energizing and dropping out will cause the magnetic field around the coil wire to rise and fall and would be induced into the signal wire. Heat changes the way things happen in electronics a lot, the higher the heat the more the resistance. In my case if emi was suspected I would look back at the history card and see what had recently been repaired or messed with and that would be a good starting place. Sometimes it would just be a loose connector that had not been fully seated or the pins had gotten loose.

Most of my recent experience has been with suby stuff and they do use shielding.

I'm just reading along though and the guys with experience are good teachers. I wouldn't worry about emi if a long time experienced ms user hasn't found it to be a problem. EMI has probably been blamed on many problems that are really just poor wiring or cheap connectors.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Sep 30 2010, 11:24 AM
Post #122

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Yup, pretty muchwhat i am planning. As you know megasquirt can be put inside the stock ECU case however it is very labor intensive. It will still require the connector be removed from the d-jet board as i have not found a source for them however the connector will then be directly soldered to the new board rather then a bunch of jumper wires, which will make the process a lot easier.

The one advantage i see to the MS1 is cost, it is the most affordable option and with the hi-res code it works just fine, especally when you are doing a fuel only install. The MS2 resolution is nice though and sure does make the datalogs look pretty. The MS3 seems like overkill to me for our cars as the MS1-extra already has more features then most of us will ever wind up using. The MS3 is insane, i like the idea but most of the features seem to be geared more towards the hardcore modder.

EMI - I think most people have not had a problem with this when installing MS in 914's. I have not seen it in my installes or know personally of anyone that has. I would just like to see a case where it has occured though so i could investigate it further. So far i feel fine about the way i have been doing things, i would just like to be extra sure. I have used both the stock wiring, and the stock wiring with suplemental power and grounds and never had an issue.

QUOTE(karlo @ Sep 30 2010, 03:45 AM) *

QUOTE(JamesM @ Sep 30 2010, 07:53 AM) *
Yes plug and play, or at least as close to it as possible is the goal. This board however is just basically the next step in what i have been working on all along.
It would be very appealing to make a PCB that completely replaces the D-Jet PCB in the enclosure; meaning that it includes the connector end as well, so you won't have to chop the connector end off the D-Jet PCB and do a lot of soldering. Is this what you are planning?
4. Very true - The 2.0 injectors are HUGE for the motor they came in. There are however hi-res code variants for the MS1 that give a resolution of .035ms at the cost of losing the pulse width modulation feature. This is a win-win as far as i am concerned as PWM seems to be where a lot of peoples problems with MS come from in the first place. The MS2 also has increased injector resolution as well increased resolution for everywhere else.
I have completely abandoned the MS1 CPUs. MS2 extra has better resolution and I find it to be easier to tune. I'm testing the MS3 CPU now, and it appears to be even better in this aspect, if not a bit more expensive.
5. EMI - This is one area where i would like to get more testing done.
I've not had problems with EMI in my installs. The primary issue with EMI is incorrect power and grounds, more of an issue if you have to fashion the entire harness yourself. I've put my MS in the D-Jet enclosure and hooked it up to the stock wiring harness, and that seems to work just fine.

- Karl

+Quote Post
JamesM
post Sep 30 2010, 11:32 AM
Post #123

I have used MS since very eary on and never had a problem with EMI so it does not really worry me a whole lot. I would just like to investigte it more in order to put other peoples fears to rest.

This is good information to have in case i ever do run into it. If anyone out there has personally had an issue with EMI and megasquirt on their 914 i would like to hear about it.

QUOTE(charliew @ Sep 30 2010, 07:36 AM) *

EMI, this isn't car related. I worked for ncr, ibm and eastman kodak on electro mechanical and electronic equipment for a long time. Usually emi was the result of a low amperage signal wire being placed next to a higher amperage wire that operated a solenoid or large coil whether it's a relay or solenoid of some type. The coil energizing and dropping out will cause the magnetic field around the coil wire to rise and fall and would be induced into the signal wire. Heat changes the way things happen in electronics a lot, the higher the heat the more the resistance. In my case if emi was suspected I would look back at the history card and see what had recently been repaired or messed with and that would be a good starting place. Sometimes it would just be a loose connector that had not been fully seated or the pins had gotten loose.

Most of my recent experience has been with suby stuff and they do use shielding.

I'm just reading along though and the guys with experience are good teachers. I wouldn't worry about emi if a long time experienced ms user hasn't found it to be a problem. EMI has probably been blamed on many problems that are really just poor wiring or cheap connectors.

+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Sep 30 2010, 01:10 PM
Post #124

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Hopefully McMark, Jeff Keyzer (mightyohm) or maybe Dave Hunt will chime in with their personal MS experiences, they all had what they described as significant EMI issues. You could also search for their posts here on this board.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Oct 8 2010, 06:56 AM
Post #125

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

I have just finished a megasquirt DIYPNP install on my subaru conversion. I used all of the stock sensors and this worked great with only a few problems with mistakes that I made myself.
You just need to use good wiring practices on your signal wiring making sure the shield grds. are used .
The guys at Diyautotune have just written a book on aftermarket fuel injection. Anyone doing a install should read this. Best $10 I spent on the car.

Bob
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Jan 30 2011, 11:27 PM
Post #126

Best friends

Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Oct 8 2010, 05:56 AM) *

The guys at Diyautotune have just written a book on aftermarket fuel injection. Anyone doing a install should read this. Best $10 I spent on the car.

Can you provide a link to that book? The only book link I can find goes to Amazon and the book doesn't sound like it matches your description.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Jan 31 2011, 04:35 AM
Post #127

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(ThinAir @ Jan 31 2011, 12:27 AM) *

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Oct 8 2010, 05:56 AM) *

Can you provide a link to that book? The only book link I can find goes to Amazon and the book doesn't sound like it matches your description.

Try THIS
Bob
+Quote Post
draganc
post Jan 31 2011, 08:11 AM
Post #128

Member No.: 11,000
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Oct 8 2010, 04:56 AM) *

I have just finished a megasquirt DIYPNP install on my subaru conversion. I used all of the stock sensors and this worked great with only a few problems with mistakes that I made myself.
You just need to use good wiring practices on your signal wiring making sure the shield grds. are used .

Bob

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I have the book and it's a great read if you are entering the EFI area. In addtion, for the std. setup I would highly recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Fuel-Injection...2960&sr=1-1

dragan
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 30 2011, 07:24 PM
Post #129

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

This is an awesome thread. What ever became of this product development?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Ductech
post Aug 30 2011, 07:48 PM
Post #130

Member No.: 11,949
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'm not really sure that i would apply for needing one as i need a v3 based board with a squirt 2 processor to run my subie but dear god that is a sweet setup, It makes me wish i had a concourse car to put that in and try and pull a fast one on some concourse judges.

Well done! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 31 2011, 07:18 PM
Post #131

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I think a hopped up stock looking engine would be cool! make a CW car with a bad ass stealth engine.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Sep 1 2011, 08:09 AM
Post #132

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 30 2011, 06:24 PM) *
I was wondering that myself. James? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Sep 4 2011, 09:20 AM
Post #133

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Gint @ Sep 1 2011, 07:09 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 30 2011, 06:24 PM) *
I was wondering that myself. James? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)

Bueler?
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Feb 7 2012, 12:15 AM
Post #134

Saw the new MS thread and thought I would go looking for this one, sorry for being late on the response guys, I missed your posts back in September.

This is not dead, just on hold for life at the moment. I have been working 7 days a week for the last 3 years now, Last year involved me changing jobs twice as better opportunities presented themselves, though I am still working 7 days a week. In addition to that my daughter was born in Feb of last year which has kept me pretty busy as well.

To top it off (and this is the worst part) I had a power supply blow up in my file server and burned out the boards on all 4 hard drives (in RAID arrays) attached to it. They literally started smoking when I hooked them up to a good system afterwards. This happened to be where I had all my PCB designs and most of my notes stored. Ironic that I was working for the cloud backup division of Seagate at the time AND NOT BACKING UP MY DATA....stupid.

Took me a couple months but I was able to get the burned out controller boards cloned and the RAID online and recover about 1TB worth of data which included my MS work, and more importantly all the pics I had taken of my daughter since the day she was born.

Life is settling down a bit now and I gotten into a the flow of the new job I took back in September so I am looking to start working on this again. Just got an environment setup for running the Eagle PCB software and all my old data imported this weekend so I am just about good to go. Still very busy though as I have lots of other projects so all I can say is progress will be made when it is made. Been building a lilac 72 1.7 over the winter that I will use to test stock 1.7 fuel maps when it is done. My bone stock 2.0 D-Jet car that I was going to use for testing I need to pull the heads on as found a PO had jacked up one of the exhaust stud bosses.

Lots to keep me busy...
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 7 2012, 02:49 PM
Post #135

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Glad your back. Now get off your butt and give us what we need. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Feb 7 2012, 04:19 PM
Post #136

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(JamesM @ Feb 6 2012, 10:15 PM) *

Saw the new MS thread and thought I would go looking for this one, sorry for being late on the response guys, I missed your posts back in September.

This is not dead, just on hold for life at the moment. I have been working 7 days a week for the last 3 years now, Last year involved me changing jobs twice as better opportunities presented themselves, though I am still working 7 days a week. In addition to that my daughter was born in Feb of last year which has kept me pretty busy as well.

To top it off (and this is the worst part) I had a power supply blow up in my file server and burned out the boards on all 4 hard drives (in RAID arrays) attached to it. They literally started smoking when I hooked them up to a good system afterwards. This happened to be where I had all my PCB designs and most of my notes stored. Ironic that I was working for the cloud backup division of Seagate at the time AND NOT BACKING UP MY DATA....stupid.

Took me a couple months but I was able to get the burned out controller boards cloned and the RAID online and recover about 1TB worth of data which included my MS work, and more importantly all the pics I had taken of my daughter since the day she was born.

Life is settling down a bit now and I gotten into a the flow of the new job I took back in September so I am looking to start working on this again. Just got an environment setup for running the Eagle PCB software and all my old data imported this weekend so I am just about good to go. Still very busy though as I have lots of other projects so all I can say is progress will be made when it is made. Been building a lilac 72 1.7 over the winter that I will use to test stock 1.7 fuel maps when it is done. My bone stock 2.0 D-Jet car that I was going to use for testing I need to pull the heads on as found a PO had jacked up one of the exhaust stud bosses.

Lots to keep me busy...

Congrats on the daughter (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) and welcome back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 13 2012, 09:40 AM
Post #137

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 14 2010, 03:15 AM) *

QUOTE(zx-niner @ Apr 13 2010, 09:42 PM) *

. . I'm already tired of hard starts at 50 degrees and lousy mileage.

I have more trouble starrting the SDS injected cars in my shop during cold weather than I do my own carbed cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
They don't have a high idle circuit for initial warmup, the cold start enrichment isn't enough by itself, and the stock type head temp sensor (thermistor) isn't accurate enough at low temps too provide the computer with good information.

Mine does... On the advice of Dave Hunt, McMark incorporated an AAR we sourced from Mark Heard. It appeared to be new old stock but proved to be a bit stiff when installed. Mark tells me (the car is still at his shop for flares) that it has loosened up and gives perfect high idle till warm...

Voila! Integrated AAR goodness... Thanks to Dave Hunt. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gint
post Feb 13 2012, 07:17 PM
Post #138

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

That looks pretty nice. Who built that vacuum manifold? Mark?
+Quote Post
kwlane
post Feb 13 2012, 10:50 PM
Post #139

Member No.: 14,108
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have a aftermarket FI I purchased with a 1.7 engine to replace the carbs on my current setup. This consists of 48mm trottle bodies with I believe are Ford injectors, with most of the wiring, and a controller of unkown origin. Think it is a old CB Performance set up. I was considering MS but don't know anything about FI, so on a learning curve (as with eveything else). So good support would be really key. CB sell an upgrade with O2 sensor and self tune, but whatever I get would operates in day to day driving, which is what I am looking for. So I am interested if it can be pretty much plug and play.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 13 2012, 11:27 PM
Post #140

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 13 2012, 05:17 PM) *

That looks pretty nice. Who built that vacuum manifold? Mark?

The bare bones of the vacuum manifold is commercially available from the company with the logo on the plenum. Mark assembled and plumbed everything. We put the logo backward because of the "cheese factor" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:37 PM