Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Door foam
corsepervita
post May 30 2010, 11:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,631
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The top portion of my interior has the foam going out - jim had advised me that i would need to replace the foam there. is this something i can do myself or should i leave it to the hands of a professional at an interior shop?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i225.photobucket.com-11631-1275239440.1.jpg)

You can see that the top part is sagging slightly from the foam being worn out. If this is a DIY item i'm happy to take it on!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post May 30 2010, 11:21 AM
Post #2

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

That is not an original. Its been redone already and didn't hold up. The whole panel lookls kinda "saggy". You could probably find an original tan. I've got a few sets so I know they are out there.

Should you do it yourself? That depends on if your skills are better than the person who did it last time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
johannes
post May 31 2010, 01:28 AM
Post #3

Club Porsche 914 France President

Member No.: 5,409
Region Association: France

Bad redone ! ... Check my door restoration topic... http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=54608

+Quote Post
Krieger
post May 31 2010, 10:19 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

Get a can of that expanding foam from Home Depot. NOT!
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post May 31 2010, 03:19 PM
Post #5

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

If you've done some leatherwork or upholstery - or think you can - then you could do it yourself, but as the others have said - you'll need to refit, restretch & reattach the entire panel, not just the top bolster that's come undone.

If you're new to it, then get some glovers & upholstery needles, upholstery thread/cord & some scrap vinyl of similar weight & practice to see if you can do it yourself. Otherwise take it to a good upholstery shop locally & give them pix &/or a solid sample 914 door panel to compare to so they do it right.

Word of caution - from your sideview mirror & aluminum threshold - I'm guessing that yours is a 70-71 MY, & the leatherette fabric varies from some MYs - so as long as you're going to do them, you may want to see that they're both done in the proper smooth, perforated &/or basketweave vinyl leatherette for your MY. See this for samples of most of them: http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PaintFabrics.htm

PS - Great How to post Johannes - that will help both corsepervita & I!!!!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:10 PM