Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door foam
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
corsepervita
The top portion of my interior has the foam going out - jim had advised me that i would need to replace the foam there. is this something i can do myself or should i leave it to the hands of a professional at an interior shop?

IPB Image

You can see that the top part is sagging slightly from the foam being worn out. If this is a DIY item i'm happy to take it on!
TheCabinetmaker
That is not an original. Its been redone already and didn't hold up. The whole panel lookls kinda "saggy". You could probably find an original tan. I've got a few sets so I know they are out there.

Should you do it yourself? That depends on if your skills are better than the person who did it last time. confused24.gif
johannes
Bad redone ! ... Check my door restoration topic... http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=54608

Krieger
Get a can of that expanding foam from Home Depot. NOT!
Tom_T
If you've done some leatherwork or upholstery - or think you can - then you could do it yourself, but as the others have said - you'll need to refit, restretch & reattach the entire panel, not just the top bolster that's come undone.

If you're new to it, then get some glovers & upholstery needles, upholstery thread/cord & some scrap vinyl of similar weight & practice to see if you can do it yourself. Otherwise take it to a good upholstery shop locally & give them pix &/or a solid sample 914 door panel to compare to so they do it right.

Word of caution - from your sideview mirror & aluminum threshold - I'm guessing that yours is a 70-71 MY, & the leatherette fabric varies from some MYs - so as long as you're going to do them, you may want to see that they're both done in the proper smooth, perforated &/or basketweave vinyl leatherette for your MY. See this for samples of most of them: http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PaintFabrics.htm

PS - Great How to post Johannes - that will help both corsepervita & I!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.