Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Opinions on big six drivability, 3.0, 3.2, 3.3T, and 3.6
Steve
post Nov 14 2010, 08:49 PM
Post #61

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

Thanks Paul for the additional feedback. All good points and valuable feed back. Love your Project 914 3.6 articles in Excellence. If I was going to build one today It would be exactly like yours. Still debating about Black though!! When can we expect the next article? It would also be nice if you came out with a book with more details and pictures. I have all of the articles so far and put them in a binder. Good point about the stock 914-6 heat exchangers. I would not suggest that anyone go out and buy them for a big six conversion. I got mine for free back in 1988 from a concours buff that bought a new set for his real 914-6. From what I have read a 3.2 should be running 1 5/8" headers and a 3.6 should be running 1 3/4" headers. I think the 914-6 heat exchangers are 1 3/8". My 3.2 runs fine on the stock heat exchangers and from what I have read I am losing about 8-10 hp over 1 5/8" headers. My car also has no catalytic converter like its 911 counterpart and i'm running a bursch muffler, so I doubt its worse than the 911 it came from. My motor also came with everything you mentioned including the oil tank and all the lines. I also got back around $800.00 for the stuff I didn't need. I love the heat with my heat exchangers, but I am temped to sell them to help fund the WEVO trans, paint job, etc.... If i get rid of them I will go with headers and get heated seats like you did.
Regarding oil leaks, my 3.2 has never been rebuilt. The only thing I added was 930 lower valve covers and replaced the oil return tubes. My car now barely leaks a drop once a week from one of the oil lines not the engine, however my 1996 993 is a mess. My 993 only has 95k miles on it, compared to 150k on the 1984 Euro 3.2. The 993 is leaking from the cheasy lower valve covers and is also leaking really bad from the cam chain covers. When I pull up to the light people think the car is on fire. If anyone is planning on putting a 3.6 motor in there 914, I would suggest replacing all these seals first whether there leaking or not. I talked to Hergesheimers and they said they are resealing quite a few 993's. They wanted $1400.00 to reseal my 993. Mainly because its a pain in the ass to get to the seals with the engine in the car.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Nov 14 2010, 09:32 PM
Post #62

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 14 2010, 07:49 PM) *

Still debating about Black though!!

When can we expect the next article?

I would suggest replacing all these seals first whether there leaking or not

Black.....Tough decision. Looks awesome when it's clean....Dirty in minutes...I still love it! It's a lot of work though.

The next Excellence should have Part 17 in it.

Oil leaks.....Do you have a 964 or 993? I agree, change any seal you can get to before installation regardless of mileage. That should be done with all engines. The 993/964's were tortured with all that A/C, weight, traffic and pan that trapped heat. It tortured the valve guides on those engines as well and is something that should be automatically assumed as needed and built into the price. My engine had 43k miles and the valve guides were shot (you'll get to read a story about that incident). Guides is one area that a used 3.2 might do better than a 3.6 but a lot depends on where and how the car was operated.....I would look into a top end on any of these engines before installation, that way you get fresh guides and seals at the most leak prone areas. Yes, it's never ending wallet draining fun.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Nov 15 2010, 09:34 AM
Post #63

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188

It took 10 years for my 914's 3.6 valve covers to start leaking , and the timing covers weren't far behind. Except that the covers are a PITA to clean, they really aren't too much of a pain to replace. Timing covers need attention now as well as the front (pulley) crankshaft seal, but I have a much bigger issue with that otherwise great motor. Cracking insulation on nearly all of the engine wiring. It's all over the harness. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

This car is a daily driver since 1994. What caused me to notice was the rain. Before I finally saw that the injector wires were bare, I thought I was having water problems in the intake or that the O2 sensor was getting over-cooled by the water jetting from the right rear tire. The engine missed like crazy. It can be dangerous when you only run smoothly over 4500 rpm with NO power below that. Imagine modulating that on wet pavement. Stopped or sideways throwing rooster-tails. Hmmm, OT here. Back on the topic.

I haven't had this problem on my '84 911's 3.2 motor. It's more protected under that engine cover than the exposed 914 lid, but it's 11 years older too! Dang!
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Nov 15 2010, 10:31 AM
Post #64

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Member No.: 6,031

QUOTE(pcar916 @ Nov 15 2010, 08:34 AM) *

Cracking insulation on nearly all of the engine wiring. It's all over the harness. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

There was a Porsche recall on the wiring harnesses for the 993. Poor insulation that caused fires. Don't know if you had one of the bad years but if you have the engine # a Porsche dealer can match the # to a chassis and tell you if it was repaired under the recall.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 15 2010, 12:03 PM
Post #65

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Nov 15 2010, 08:31 AM) *

QUOTE(pcar916 @ Nov 15 2010, 08:34 AM) *

Cracking insulation on nearly all of the engine wiring. It's all over the harness. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

There was a Porsche recall on the wiring harnesses for the 993. Poor insulation that caused fires. Don't know if you had one of the bad years but if you have the engine # a Porsche dealer can match the # to a chassis and tell you if it was repaired under the recall.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Get a replacement NOW!!!

I actually found a dealer who got me the replacement harness for the recall price. The full sales price is out of this world ...

My harness fried to a crisp. That could have easily burnt the car to the ground. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

There's a thread here somewhere with pictures, it's not pretty. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 15 2010, 12:06 PM
Post #66

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Found the thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=80793

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
Twise
post Nov 15 2010, 12:20 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 6,881

I regret to inform you sir but you have been had. You do not have a set of Weber carbs. What you have is a Honda.

I will second that - 2.2 with webers and S cams. Sometimes I wish it had a honda motor. Then I wind up second and third, and it is all worth it...
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Nov 15 2010, 01:51 PM
Post #68

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 15 2010, 10:03 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Get a replacement NOW!!!

Reckon I'll get right on it. I've taped up the (visible) offending little beggars, and followed them up into the harness as much as possible. But it's obvious that it's crappy up where I can't see it.

Easier to drop the motor, check the exhaust valve guides/seals, replace the harness and a few other seals and stick it back in there.

Thanks guys! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Nov 15 2010, 02:29 PM
Post #69

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 14 2010, 12:24 PM) *

Here's one way to add rear tire capacity without changing the overall appearance of the car too much. The rear flares are 2 1/2" wider than stock.
This car has a '95 3.6 with a chip, producing 250whp, and has excellent manners around town.
The owner has already suggested the engine isn't powerful enough. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

he needs to sell me that car and build a new one.
Or, sell him that white V8 car...BTW, did you sort him out? he has had alot of bad experiences with shops...I steered him to you...

Rich
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Nov 15 2010, 06:02 PM
Post #70

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,407

This is an interesting thread because Mercedes is having the same problem. My Merc. mechanic showed me a ten year old Mercedes wiring harness that had breaks in the harness with copper showing EVERY THREE INCHES. There has been talk of Mercedes suing it's vendor.
Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
MDG
post Nov 15 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #71

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

QUOTE(Twise @ Nov 15 2010, 01:20 PM) *

I will second that - 2.2 with webers and S cams. Sometimes I wish it had a honda motor. Then I wind up second and third, and it is all worth it...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I could have written that exact sentence.

I'm sure come March when I want to go for an early Sunday drive my neighbors will enjoy the Motronic as much as me. I'd guess they got pretty tired of listening to me feathering the throttle in my driveway at 6:30 am . . . . . .
+Quote Post
Steve
post Nov 15 2010, 09:02 PM
Post #72

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE(pcar916 @ Nov 15 2010, 07:34 AM) *

It took 10 years for my 914's 3.6 valve covers to start leaking , and the timing covers weren't far behind. Except that the covers are a PITA to clean, they really aren't too much of a pain to replace. Timing covers need attention now as well as the front (pulley) crankshaft seal, but I have a much bigger issue with that otherwise great motor. Cracking insulation on nearly all of the engine wiring. It's all over the harness. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

This car is a daily driver since 1994. What caused me to notice was the rain. Before I finally saw that the injector wires were bare, I thought I was having water problems in the intake or that the O2 sensor was getting over-cooled by the water jetting from the right rear tire. The engine missed like crazy. It can be dangerous when you only run smoothly over 4500 rpm with NO power below that. Imagine modulating that on wet pavement. Stopped or sideways throwing rooster-tails. Hmmm, OT here. Back on the topic.

I haven't had this problem on my '84 911's 3.2 motor. It's more protected under that engine cover than the exposed 914 lid, but it's 11 years older too! Dang!

My 3.2 is also an 84 and has been in my 914 for over 10 years. No leaks except for the oil return tubes which was a simple fix. However my 1996 993 has exactly the same problems you mentioned. As soon as I fix the leaks on the engine the car is going up for sale. Anyone want to buy an Adventurine Green 1996 993 C2 Cabriolet Tiptronic? The tiptronic also adds additional leaks and you lose two gears and a whole second 0-60. However it's quite the cruiser going down bumper to bumper PCH with the top down. Zero stress versus shifting the 914 in bumper to bumper traffic sucks.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 08:15 AM