Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gasoline Heaters, 914's and buses
rhodyguy
post Jan 2 2018, 09:23 PM
Post #101

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Group: Members
Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Get the $300 shipping included heat exchanger package and be done with it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) sell the sell the heater.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Jan 2 2018, 09:26 PM
Post #102

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 2 2018, 04:07 PM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 2 2018, 03:06 PM) *

I also purchased the same heater as Mueller, and glad to see that it could fit in the car. Perhaps using two 12-24 volt converters could provide adequate wattage to run the fan. I also have a used B1L Eberspacherthat I was going to use with my headers, but eventually found some good heat exchangers so went that route. I remember that gas heaters do work quite well in heating the interior, but they’re not the easiest thing to fit safely.

Looking at a schematic I found online, the ignitor is actually 12vdc , they use a resistor to drop reduce the voltage so it might be possible to install a different fan and convert it to run entirely on 12vdc (I used a Mr Gasket carb fuel pump ran off of 12vdc)

One thread I found about these heaters mention ditching the stock ignitor and using a car cigarette lighter element. I'm at the point now that I really don't feel that comfortable modifying something that burns raw fuel like these heaters!

By chance, do you still have that schematic? I’d love to get a copy.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 2 2018, 09:29 PM
Post #103

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 2 2018, 10:23 PM) *

Get the $300 shipping included heat exchanger package and be done with it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) sell the sell the heater.

It’s only offered to Mike at this time so no rush for him to decide.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jan 3 2018, 12:12 AM
Post #104

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

This again? Wear clothes that make you comfortable outside in whatever the conditions are. It won't be colder inside your 914. Sheesh... buy a down jacket. Do you need an Eberspacheror or Webasto that heats your town too? Ermergerd, it's cold, waaaaah.

Obviously I'm poking fun, but for crying out loud, wear a jacket. You have to get outside of your car too. I don't want to see a 914 driver running across the parking lot to their office with a frozen pinky in the air crying about how cold it is outside.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 3 2018, 07:24 AM
Post #105

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

My first 914 had no heat. I drove it through the winter. Sucks having to open the window to keep the windshield from fogging up. I was 17.

A couple years ago I daily drove my stock 1.7 to work through the winter. Toasty heat. Had to crack the window if the heat lever was wide open.

The stock heat exchanger system is great.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jan 3 2018, 07:45 AM
Post #106

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 3 2018, 08:24 AM) *

My first 914 had no heat. I drove it through the winter. Sucks having to open the window to keep the windshield from fogging up. I was 17.

The stock heat exchanger system is great.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I tell you what, the stock HE system is at least better than nothing. It was 5 degrees when I left the house this morning. I know for some north of me that's like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yawn.gif) but for us in VA that's more like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif), especially in a teener that spent the night outside. My heat system is probably not functioning flawlessly, but I managed to get to work without looking too much like a popsicle. I just wish it didn't lose the heat in the cabin as fast as it does...
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jan 3 2018, 12:08 PM
Post #107

Cross Member

My first 914 roasted me out on the drive home after buying it. It was a cold winter evening in Seattle. I didn't yet know how to operate the dash controls, so I rolled the window down, lol. For sure, the stock HEs work great when everything is in good shape. But not everyone who has headers or no HEs for whatever reason is going to go back to the stock setup.

My current teener doesn't have heat. I spend so much time outdoors and never let the weather get in the way. I dress for the conditions, so really don't care about a heater. Defrost is the only thing I miss, but there are glass treatments that are effective at stopping fog (Rain-x has some). I've been known to use an "indoor-safe" Coleman gas heater with window cracked when the ice was bad.

I have another car with creature comforts when needed. But to me, part of what I love about the 914 is the lack of them.
+Quote Post
blabla914
post Jan 3 2018, 12:13 PM
Post #108

I like primer

Member No.: 1,740

Guys, in addition to my 914 I've got a bug with an Eberspacher heater. BN-2 if I remember right. I ran the car here in CT a few winters with just the BN-2 and no heat exchangers.

The big problem with that setup is the BN-2 has two settings, OFF and HELL. Even with the larger interior of the beetle and 20F air temperature after 10 or 15 min you are dying from the heat. Turn the heater off and 10 min later it's getting pretty chilly. Trust me, my car is not some rusted out POS. I did all the welding myself and that car is tight with a stock steel hood and all new rubber. I basically spent the winter driving around with the heater on and the windows open, which is actually kind of nice if you like being outside, but man do you burn gas! Gas heater without any heater boxes just doesn't work that great.

If it's not really cold out a gas heater will warm you up quick and then I guess you could turn it off for longer. Though if it's not really that cold, get seat heaters. I have them in my 914 which runs headers and they work great. It's a whole lot cheaper and install is a snap.

Based on the experience with my beetle there is no way I'd spend the time and money to put any gas heater in my 914 without heater boxes too.

Just my $.02

Kelly
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jan 3 2018, 12:44 PM
Post #109

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042

QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 3 2018, 01:08 PM) *

I have another car with creature comforts when needed. But to me, part of what I love about the 914 is the lack of them.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) The joy of pure driving. Most people don't understand.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jan 3 2018, 12:52 PM
Post #110

Cross Member

The big problem with that setup is the BN-2 has two settings, OFF and HELL.

LOL! Love that summary. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif) Your window regulators become the thermostat.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 3 2018, 12:54 PM
Post #111

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(blabla914 @ Jan 3 2018, 10:13 AM) *
The big problem with that setup is the BN-2 has two settings, OFF and HELL. Even with the larger interior of the beetle and 20F air temperature after 10 or 15 min you are dying from the heat.

Same thing on my '74 Super Beetle i had back in the '80s. The Eberspächer turned the inside from below zero to sauna in less than 15 minutes.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Jan 3 2018, 01:55 PM
Post #112

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I know that Eberspacher (now Espar) sells a thermostatically controlled switch, but don’t know if it works with the older heaters.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 3 2018, 02:55 PM
Post #113

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 2 2018, 07:26 PM) *

By chance, do you still have that schematic? I’d love to get a copy.

I could only find a few online which are not 100% the same for some reason.

If I find a better one I'll let you know.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q...ibNsA_julpI3VHw
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jan 3 2018, 08:10 PM
Post #114

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

My first 356 had a Webasto gas heater in it. Mark is right, they may a "vacuum" type sound when they light.

It was a '64 356 SC. Cool car, but I hated that it was red.
+Quote Post
914Timo
post Jan 4 2018, 01:16 PM
Post #115

Member No.: 137
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 3 2018, 08:54 PM) *

Same thing on my '74 Super Beetle i had back in the '80s. The Eberspächer turned the inside from below zero to sauna in less than 15 minutes.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

I had Eberspächer in my ´72 Beetle back in the '80s too. When the temperature had rised from zero to sauna and I shut dawn the Eber, it didn´t make any heat any more. But, the blower still keep on blowing air inside the car. It needed to cool dawn the heater. So, the temperature was soon nearly zero again, and the Eber had to start again..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

+Quote Post
blabla914
post Jan 4 2018, 02:53 PM
Post #116

I like primer

Member No.: 1,740

I had Eberspächer in my ´72 Beetle back in the '80s too. When the temperature had rised from zero to sauna and I shut dawn the Eber, it didn´t make any heat any more. But, the blower still keep on blowing air inside the car. It needed to cool dawn the heater. So, the temperature was soon nearly zero again, and the Eber had to start again..... headbang.gif

Yes I neglected to mention this. My BN-2 does exactly the same thing. by the time the heater is done cooling down......so has the interior of the car.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:56 AM