Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gasoline Heaters, 914's and buses
partwerks
post Nov 9 2014, 06:31 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,787

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 9 2014, 07:01 AM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ Nov 9 2014, 09:27 AM) *

Wondering which would be more favorable, gas, or diesel?

I've thought of doing this. Diesel bunk heaters are cheap on craigslist, but you will need to add a small tank for fuel. Built to heat a whole truck bunk I bet they throw more heat than you need.

Like what section do you look for it under?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
orangecrate
post Nov 9 2014, 09:19 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 16,394
Region Association: Southwest Region

I installed an eberspacher diesel heater in a small tugboat wheelhouse years ago. Easily more cubic ft than a 914. It would bake you. I think the trick would be to get the right size diesel tank so that you only had to fill it up when you filled the car. I realize there are a lot of varibles but I'd go for overkill in cold weather.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Nov 9 2014, 09:32 PM
Post #63

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Not that it will defrost your windshield, but you can get an electric jacket or vest normally used for motorcycles and help fend off the cold
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Nov 9 2014, 09:39 PM
Post #64

I'm guessing here, but with different sizes, even the small compact one would most likely be plenty, but the size of the main body must be around 12" X 5" X 5"?

If the main body was mounted in the cowl area, then that leaves me to figure out where to dump the exhaust from that point, but was wondering if a person could dump it out on where the tubing for heat used to come up by the speaker grille, and force it out that way? Would probably be better to have the heat source as close to the cab as possible?

If I put it in the front trunk, I can dump the exhaust out the bottom of the front trunk where the radiator ventilates, but then have to find a way to plumb it up to the cowl area, and I don't really want to start cutting holes any more than I have to.

I'm wondering if it was mounted in the engine bay, if I could use the old pipes that the heat exchangers used to plumb the heat to the cab, but then might loose some heat the further it has to travel.

+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Nov 9 2014, 09:42 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 13,549
Region Association: Northern California

Let's not forget seat heaters. I bought a set off eBay pretty cheap. That's what I'm doing first and for certain. I'm sure they were under $60 a pair and heated seats are awesome for a tired old back like mine.
+Quote Post
JimN73
post Nov 10 2014, 10:30 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 8,192
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I see that the Webasto 2000 uses either gas or diesel. So, if you have carbs you already have a gas line from the tank that you can tap into. Either for a front or rear installation.

The engine compartment is pretty crowded, access to everything, including a heater, would be tough - but an installation in the rear trunk might work.

I have headers, so no heat. I put two 50 cfpm computer fans on each side of the car and pump air from the engine bay to the cabin, with pickup hoses near the center of the case. There is enough air flow to warm the car in town, but engine bay turbulence at higher speeds takes a lot of the warmth away. Should work fine with one of these heaters.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Nov 10 2014, 11:13 AM
Post #67

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(JimN73 @ Nov 10 2014, 08:30 AM) *
I see that the Webasto 2000 uses either gas or diesel. So, if you have carbs you already have a gas line from the tank that you can tap into. Either for a front or rear installation.

The engine compartment is pretty crowded, access to everything, including a heater, would be tough - but an installation in the rear trunk might work.

I have headers, so no heat. I put two 50 cfpm computer fans on each side of the car and pump air from the engine bay to the cabin, with pickup hoses near the center of the case. There is enough air flow to warm the car in town, but engine bay turbulence at higher speeds takes a lot of the warmth away. Should work fine with one of these heaters.
"Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is slightly less dense than air. It is toxic to humans when encountered in concentrations above about 35 ppm."

I worry about carbon monoxide from the OEM air-cooled (or more appropriately air-heated) systems. I also hate the smell of the burning oil odor that comes from the engine compartment on any air-cooled VW or Porsche, and wonder just how much CO makes it into the cabin.

I think it would be wise to test, even with a battery-operated CO tester designed for home applications, just to see if it triggers the unit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Nov 11 2014, 08:59 PM
Post #68

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 20 2010, 10:13 AM) *

Are they available anywhere?
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Nov 11 2014, 09:58 PM
Post #69

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I certainly hope someone may actually see the gas heater in a 914 and not only the pictures posted above.

Before getting heat exchangers, I purchased an Eberspacher gas heater off eBay with the hope of installing it, but eventually the heat exchangers just seemed like less work. I do carry small battery powered CO detectors in my cars just to be safe. Private plane pilots also carry CO detectors for the same purpose.
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Nov 11 2014, 11:24 PM
Post #70

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 11 2014, 07:58 PM) *

I certainly hope someone may actually see the gas heater in a 914 and not only the pictures posted above.

Before getting heat exchangers, I purchased an Eberspacher gas heater off eBay with the hope of installing it, but eventually the heat exchangers just seemed like less work. I do carry small battery powered CO detectors in my cars just to be safe. Private plane pilots also carry CO detectors for the same purpose.

Was it a gas or diesel, and do you still have it?
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Nov 12 2014, 07:42 AM
Post #71

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

It's still sitting in my garage, but I haven't fired it up in a few years. It is a gas fired heater from an old VW I think.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Nov 12 2014, 02:26 PM
Post #72

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

I never fired the Webasto that was in my SWB 911. I was installed in the 'smuggler's box, so it was sort of isolated a bit more from the front trunk area. I removed it and plan to restore it, but not sure if I will actually use it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Curious, has anybody ever heard of or experienced first-hand any negative aspects of one of these gas-fired heaters?
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Nov 13 2014, 11:39 PM
Post #73

QUOTE(partwerks @ Nov 8 2014, 08:41 PM) *

I wonder if this would be comparable to the Eberspacher BL1C?
http://www.heatso.com/eberspacher-airtroni...2kw-heater-kit/

Waiting to hear back from them, but was wondering what the VAT stands for?
+Quote Post
hcdmueller
post Nov 14 2014, 12:52 AM
Post #74

?????????????

Member No.: 5,527
Region Association: England

That is a British company, based in London. The value added tax (vat) is something around 20%, but we don't have to pay it since we are outside the EU. You may have to pay some customs fees for importing it.
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Nov 14 2014, 07:07 AM
Post #75

They are supposed to get back with me with a more cost effective gas burner that will be better suited for it, and no charges to USA.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 14 2014, 08:18 AM
Post #76

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

I love the modern Espar heaters.. I had one in my double cab and if I ever really start "driving" my 356 I'll install one in it as well. They fire up and have clean, instant heat.

The only time I have had one not burn completely clean was when using premium fuel on a really cold day, the heater can't light off the higher octane as well.

Its the only way to go for real heat, really fast.
+Quote Post
Alapone
post Oct 13 2015, 10:16 AM
Post #77

Member No.: 15,734
Region Association: None

how difficult is the install of a modern heater? has anyone here published a step by step for modern heaters? I can find a few modern ones at reasonable prices (Eberspacher B4) what are the limitations or drawbacks of using these types in a 914?

A recent cold day drive has got me thinking this Is a must to squeeze an extra few months out of the driving season.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 13 2015, 02:17 PM
Post #78

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Alapone @ Oct 13 2015, 12:16 PM) *

how difficult is the install of a modern heater? has anyone here published a step by step for modern heaters? I can find a few modern ones at reasonable prices (Eberspacher B4) what are the limitations or drawbacks of using these types in a 914?

A recent cold day drive has got me thinking this Is a must to squeeze an extra few months out of the driving season.

I'd install it right in the engine bay or rear trunk and pipe it through the existing heater channels in the longs.
The tank can be either the front or rear trunk.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Oct 13 2015, 03:00 PM
Post #79

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Drawback is cost. They're darn tootin expensive!
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 13 2015, 03:22 PM
Post #80

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

Jake: Do post pics of the install.

So, four options for six conversions or sixes that lost their HEs:
1. No heat (where I'm at right now)
2. Heat exchangers, factory or aftermarket
3. Gas heater
4. Heated seats, heated vests (LOL!), hair dryers in the front trunk to defrost (LOL?)

I've got heating elements in my seats that need to be hooked up, but wonder about defrost—and my feet—on cold days.

One thing I never liked about my 914-4 SSIs was the heat bleed on hot days, even after installing new diverters. There was always at least some heat coming through. Not nice in a black vinyl interior. A gas heater or some sort of electric heat would negate that problem...not to mention the CO problem.

pete
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 06:12 PM