Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gasoline Heaters, 914's and buses
mepstein
post Oct 13 2015, 03:40 PM
Post #81

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The factory heat exchangers bolt right in. The gas heater, not so much.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 13 2015, 05:08 PM
Post #82

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 13 2015, 02:40 PM) *

The factory heat exchangers bolt right in. The gas heater, not so much.

And...price for NOS factory heaters? The Dansk alternative were big dollars, and had some serious issues that makes one wary. Used factory exchangers, which are also $,$$$ in varying condition, may have CO problems. Hard to tell, harder to justify buying.

None of the aftermarket HEs are attractive to me, personally.

Gas heater seems problematic to me. Basic needs in warmer climes seem to be body heat (heated seats?) and defrost/foot warmers (minor electric heat?).

Thoughts?

pete
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 13 2015, 06:21 PM
Post #83

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 13 2015, 05:00 PM) *

Drawback is cost. They're darn tootin expensive!

New Espar D2 airtronic is about a grand, so that's about a 1/3 of the cost of the new /6 heat exchangers. I see complete systems on Kijiji/Craigslist for half that price.

I have seen them, there's nothing to them, hardest part would be the fab up on a fuel tank.
+Quote Post
Alapone
post Oct 15 2015, 02:38 PM
Post #84

Member No.: 15,734

-Yea I was looking at a used gas airtronic on ebay for reasonable amount just wondering the difficulty level for install. If anyone has successfully tamed this dragon please post the how to.

-I don't know about you but after a couple seasons with headers and no heat Im screaming for a real solution (read; not electric heated clothing)
+Quote Post
Alapone
post Oct 15 2015, 02:39 PM
Post #85

Member No.: 15,734

QUOTE(Alapone @ Oct 15 2015, 04:38 PM) *

-Yea I was looking at a used gas airtronic on ebay for reasonable amount just wondering the difficulty level for install. If anyone has successfully tamed this dragon please post the how to.

-I don't know about you but after a couple seasons with headers and no heat Im screaming for a real solution (read; not electric heated clothing)

I am in the NE though. A real solution could extend my season 2+ months
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 15 2015, 04:57 PM
Post #86

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

If it does not rain this weekend, I will see how the heater I have fits in the front trunk.

edit...Ouch....lowest price on on eBay is $450 with shipping for same exact model.
edit again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I just placed an order on ebay for a a 12vdc to 24vdc power supply.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-87-1423322924.jpg)
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Oct 15 2015, 08:29 PM
Post #87

Member No.: 13,549
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 15 2015, 03:57 PM) *

If it does not rain this weekend, I will see how the heater I have fits in the front trunk.

edit...Ouch....lowest price on on eBay is $450 with shipping for same exact model.
edit again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I just placed an order on ebay for a a 12vdc to 24vdc power supply.

What kind of heater is that? I can't make out the brand. Please keep us posted on your progress. I've been thinking of adding a gas heater for the last couple years. It never occurred to me to locate it in the rear trunk or in the engine bay. The rear trunk is appealing to me. Is your heater gas or diesel? Are you going to use a separate fuel tank? Mostly what you see on Ebay are diesel heaters because all the semi-trucks use them for heat. The gas heaters are not nearly as common.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 15 2015, 08:36 PM
Post #88

914 Freak!

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Oct 15 2015, 07:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 15 2015, 03:57 PM) *

What kind of heater is that? I can't make out the brand. Please keep us posted on your progress. I've been thinking of adding a gas heater for the last couple years. It never occurred to me to locate it in the rear trunk or in the engine bay. The rear trunk is appealing to me. Is your heater gas or diesel? Are you going to use a separate fuel tank? Mostly what you see on Ebay are diesel heaters because all the semi-trucks use them for heat. The gas heaters are not nearly as common.

Benmar is the brand, gasoline for fuel. I think it is too big for the rear trunk , but I could be wrong. Will try and snap pictures of it sitting in both front and rear.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 15 2015, 08:55 PM
Post #89

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Alapone @ Oct 15 2015, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Alapone @ Oct 15 2015, 04:38 PM) *

I am in the NE though. A real solution could extend my season 2+ months

If you have a type 4 engine then the stock heat exchangers are a real solution. Available, bolt on, reasonably priced and work great.
I have only ever seen one 914 with a working gas heater. Every year it is often talked about but almost never done.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 16 2015, 12:23 PM
Post #90

914 Freak!

Pictures as promised....pic 1 and 2 inside front trunk.

Last pic in the rear trunk, looks like it would fit with no real problems, I'd cut a hole in the trunk floor for the exhaust to gain another 2 inches of space. Rear lid would close like shown in the picture.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 18 2015, 12:13 PM
Post #91

914 Freak!

I found the installation manual for mine...

Fuel: gasoline, diesel and JP-4

Weight: 10 pounds, figure another 10 pounds worth of stuff to install it (ducting and fuel pump...3psi to 15psi max)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 21 2015, 11:07 PM
Post #92

914 Freak!

Need to find a low pressure fuel pump now....
Hooked it up to 12VDC and thru magic, 24VDC popped up on the other side of the wires!

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 22 2015, 06:34 PM
Post #93

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

It seems like a good spot to mount it would be in place of the battery. You could then just run the hose down the stock passenger side or get a "T" to connect both sides. I would be paranoid to put something combustible in the front trunk with the gas tank. Even though it looks like there was an aftermarket unit available for the front trunk. I am also curious if there is enough circulation in the rear trunk. Especially with the top back there and other personal crap.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 22 2015, 07:46 PM
Post #94

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Sounds logical to me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 2 2018, 02:34 PM
Post #95

914 Freak!

Update on this heater I've had for years!

No go with the 12vdc to 24vdc converter, it claims it is 10 amps yet it will barely run the fan.

I did get the heater to fire up using 2 12vdc car batteries in series, however after 5 minute run time it shut off. I smoked quite a bit out of the exhaust, could be due to age and from someone previously running a different fuel? (I used gas)

Decided not worth it and will be in the market for real heat exchangers to replace my patched up no name header.

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 2 2018, 03:07 PM
Post #96

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 2 2018, 03:34 PM) *

No go with the 12vdc to 24vdc converter, it claims it is 10 amps yet it will barely run the fan.

I did get the heater to fire up using 2 12vdc car batteries in series, however after 5 minute run time it shut off. I smoked quite a bit out of the exhaust, could be due to age and from someone previously running a different fuel? (I used gas)

Decided not worth it and will be in the market for real heat exchangers to replace my patched up no name header.

HE’s are the way to go. Bolt up quickly and throw tons of heat. Do you need 1.7’s or 2.0
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 2 2018, 03:13 PM
Post #97

914 Freak!

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 2 2018, 01:07 PM) *

HE’s are the way to go. Bolt up quickly and throw tons of heat. Do you need 1.7’s or 2.0

1.8 with a slightly hotter cam.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 2 2018, 03:54 PM
Post #98

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 2 2018, 04:13 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 2 2018, 01:07 PM) *

1.8 with a slightly hotter cam.

I have stock steel ones (1.7, 1.8) that you can have for free. a bunch of connector tubes, hanger and (probably) a cable and barrel nuts. I don't have flapper boxes. Have a good muffler to use until you buy a nice one. all for cost of shipping.
probably have a lever if you need one.
I can do a SS setup with everything but flapper boxes for $300 shipped.
Offer is good any time.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Jan 2 2018, 05:06 PM
Post #99

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I also purchased the same heater as Mueller, and glad to see that it could fit in the car. Perhaps using two 12-24 volt converters could provide adequate wattage to run the fan. I also have a used B1L Eberspacherthat I was going to use with my headers, but eventually found some good heat exchangers so went that route. I remember that gas heaters do work quite well in heating the interior, but they’re not the easiest thing to fit safely.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 2 2018, 06:07 PM
Post #100

914 Freak!

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 2 2018, 03:06 PM) *

I also purchased the same heater as Mueller, and glad to see that it could fit in the car. Perhaps using two 12-24 volt converters could provide adequate wattage to run the fan. I also have a used B1L Eberspacherthat I was going to use with my headers, but eventually found some good heat exchangers so went that route. I remember that gas heaters do work quite well in heating the interior, but they’re not the easiest thing to fit safely.

Looking at a schematic I found online, the ignitor is actually 12vdc , they use a resistor to drop reduce the voltage so it might be possible to install a different fan and convert it to run entirely on 12vdc (I used a Mr Gasket carb fuel pump ran off of 12vdc)

One thread I found about these heaters mention ditching the stock ignitor and using a car cigarette lighter element. I'm at the point now that I really don't feel that comfortable modifying something that burns raw fuel like these heaters!
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 10:52 PM