Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shall I say...SIX?, costs, plus' and minus' of conversion
maxwelj
post Jun 3 2004, 09:26 AM
Post #61

rebuilt member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,532
Region Association: None

As another original-6 owner (who admittedly, has never driven a 4)... the sound is the thing... My '70 didn't (and won't) have any sound proofing betwixt engine bay and people bay, so if I ran open headers and free flow aircleaners and then the chains themselves added to the din.. (not HP, though...) the drive was heaven... And the responsiveness of the small 6 is something else again.... not too much for the factory suspension and gearbox... but plenty enough for fun....
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Jun 3 2004, 05:28 PM
Post #62

I do things...

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

I'm sold!
Told you it would be easy!

If I don't like it ( is that even posible ) I'll just buy another car and start over with my stored 2.0-4. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I guess somebody would buy my car with all my upgrades for $8-10K (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Or have two 914's ( 914-6 baja...Why did I just say that? ) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)

I'll start next week.

I already ordered new plugs, wires and coil.

As for exhaust I'll start with a heatless header. Possibly modify the Tri-Mil Supertrapp I already have into a mid-engine under car instead of the baja tee-pee thing.

This will be fun. Thanks for all the help 914club! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jun 3 2004, 05:32 PM
Post #63

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

A 2.0/6 from a 914 IS a waste of time....IF you are doing a conversion.....

HOWEVER.....a 2.0/6 "S" motor is 180 peaky HP....which has been.... so far ...... a kick in the ass....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post Jun 4 2004, 10:51 AM
Post #64

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Mike,

what did you do to your S motor to raise it up to 180hp?

brant
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jun 4 2004, 11:05 AM
Post #65

That's what an "S" motor is rated at....
+Quote Post
Duffster
post Jun 4 2004, 11:22 AM
Post #66

OFWG

Member No.: 1,087

Z... did you buy your 2.2 in Frankensteen from Sager/Kravig at the last 914 swap meet? If so, that is probably the one that came out of my car. And yes, it was a peaky, screamy, adrenaline-soaked, ass-grabing-the-seat motor in a 914.

The 2.7 is a different ride. It motors around town feeling like a 2.0 T IV when you feather-foot on the idle jets, then just melts the tires and disapears over 4000 rpm when the mains kick in. Makes me wonder what a built-up 3.8 Euro RS would be like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post Jun 4 2004, 12:03 PM
Post #67

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Mike,

is it an aluminum cased or a 69 mag cased 2.0 S motor? I think the 69's were rated at 180 but the increase was due to the mechanical fuel injection in 69... I thought you were running carbs?

the common thought is the 67 S motors were rated optimistically by the factory at 160hp.... I have a 67S motor going into my vintage car.

just curious because I'd love to learn more and hope that the 160 rating I have is legit...

brant
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jun 4 2004, 12:43 PM
Post #68

I bought BOTH motors from Glen Sager.....the 2.0 was an S motor but the specs aid it was the model that came with Webers.

On the 2.2.....did you run a CDI with it? I just got it running and it runs a little rough.....I'm thinking the jetting is off as I have carbs on it from a 2.4.....got any specs or suggestions for jetting?
+Quote Post
Duffster
post Jun 4 2004, 12:54 PM
Post #69

OFWG

MSD box. The carbs wound up on my 2.7, after a venturi change to 34 and major jetting work. The cam in my motor is a more for torque that 906-ish peak. Not sure what the jets were on the 2.2 as they came with the motor. The secret is locked up in Kravig's head. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Duffster
post Jun 4 2004, 12:56 PM
Post #70

OFWG

the venturis were 30s, I believe...
+Quote Post
brp914
post Jun 4 2004, 05:36 PM
Post #71

Unregistered

Hey, I realize its probably too late, but dont do it. True, a /6 is a great sounding, and even with a 2.0, a reasonably quick car. But, notice how your FI /4 starts right up, even on a cold day? Not so with carbs. And how your FI /4 drives and responds under all conditions? The carb'd /6 will run crummy until its warmed up, and even then never as well as the /4. And thats the best you can hope for. Lotsa luck if the engine and/or carbs aren't happy, or if something has been done to that engine that the carbs dont know about. Or vice versa. Also, expect about 22 mpg vs. 30 for the FI /4. A car that doesn't run well will get old fast.

Not to mention the cost of parts and labor. And emissions testing, if applicable. And how about the quality of the work? Will it look like something that has come from Porsche, or some hack job replete with cheap crap from the local hardware store.

Is your /4 running now? Do you really want to fix it if it ain't broke? Knowing that the time and money spent will not be recouped if sold? Hopefully food for thought.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jun 4 2004, 06:19 PM
Post #72

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

welcome to the club.

Should we just call you Mr. Happy? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Jun 5 2004, 03:15 AM
Post #73

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(trekkor @ Jun 3 2004, 08:54 AM)
No one has said "Hey, bro, I've got a small six and it rocks. It is so much better than that fuel injected 4 I had. I really love the way it winds up and gets me going"

Is that because the small six is garbage? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Let me help you out.

I have a small /6. I believe it's basically a stock 2.0. It rocks. I love the feel, I love the sound, I love the Webers breathing behind my head.

I HATE fuel injection. I HATE wires, tubes and vacuum hoses all over the engine compartment. It looks like an Intensive Care Unit setup for a dying motor.

You CAN be happy with a small /6... I am.

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jun 5 2004, 03:37 PM
Post #74

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jun 5 2004, 01:15 AM)
I HATE fuel injection. I HATE wires, tubes and vacuum hoses all over the engine compartment.

You CAN be happy with a small /6... I am.

you already know the answer to the 'tubes and hoses' problem - MFI ! (and 'E' cams will really wake up a stock /6 engine...)

there is nothing quite like the sound of a short-stroke MFI 6...

(which is not stopping me from looking to uprate the 911 to 2,8 tho ...)
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jun 5 2004, 10:41 PM
Post #75

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Z - I think you'll certainly want a Bosch CDI or aftermarket (i.e. MSD) with that engine. All of the factory high-performance engines had 'em, IIRC. It should help with the low speed plug fouling and idle to main circuit transition, but don't expect miracles as even with perfectly jetted Webers or MFI these engines are just kinda "bitchy" at lower rpm's and/or when cold.

What jetting do you have now? My carbs were fairly farked up and I set them up to 2.0S specs (except F26 emulsions vs F3); much mo betta now but I may need to bump to 60 idles.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jun 6 2004, 07:33 AM
Post #76

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

petronix has a new msd box.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jun 6 2004, 10:14 AM
Post #77

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jun 5 2004, 08:41 PM)
Z - I think you'll certainly want a Bosch CDI or aftermarket (i.e. MSD) with that engine. All of the factory high-performance engines had 'em, IIRC. It should help with the low speed plug fouling and idle to main circuit transition, but don't expect miracles as even with perfectly jetted Webers or MFI these engines are just kinda "bitchy" at lower rpm's and/or when cold.

What jetting do you have now? My carbs were fairly farked up and I set them up to 2.0S specs (except F26 emulsions vs F3); much mo betta now but I may need to bump to 60 idles.

Yeah....I spoke with the former owner of the 2.2 that's in Frank....I have six or seven oem Porsche CDI boxes that need some repairs.....my neighbor has the parts at work and I have a copy of the Porsche schematics for the three prong series, so we will rebuild them....also have a fireball ignition system from the Type IV and a Crane type CDI box....will look thru the schematics and see which is the most idiot proof....

More welding this week on the pans....then install the seats, replace the leaking exhaust gaskets and take Frank out for a spin....
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jun 6 2004, 12:43 PM
Post #78

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Once again I'll say if you are gonna do a conversion, just drop a Small Block chevy in it..

Easier and cheaper to repair than a six.. You can get 300 HP and never even try to do so! Just bolt it together. Hell all the parts can come from Summit!

TIV, or V8 if you ask me...
+Quote Post
MXMARK
post Jun 6 2004, 06:36 PM
Post #79

Member No.: 1,656

I have a 2L 6 that has been sitting for 8 years. I never had the money to install into the 914. I do have a 2533 4 in there now. I love the sound of my six in the 911 but I also love the sound of the 4 when I am passing guys with big V8 muscle cars. I love the big four. Just my feeling. If you want to go big talk to Jake on the four. Good luck with the 6. Thanks Mark
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Jun 18 2004, 10:06 PM
Post #80

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Did some work to get ready to run the six. New plugs, wires and coil.

Found an oil tank ( under the cushions of my sofa ) and had some oil lines made for testing.

We're shooting for a monday fire up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 01:54 PM