|
|

|
Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG.
This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. |
|
|
![]() ![]() |
| Andyrew |
Apr 13 2015, 11:57 PM
Post
#311
|
|
Spooling.... Please wait ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 13,381 Joined: 20-January 03 From: Riverbank, Ca Member No.: 172 Region Association: Northern California
|
Photo of the Snail that is going on this engine vs the factory snail. I actually drove it like this at 10psi for about 5k miles before developed an oil leak (ended up being the oil filter sandwich plate... $5 fix) that parked the car for a year and I went back to stock.
It is currently pulled off the A4 and waiting to go on my spare engine/trani that will go in the 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) As mentioned this snail is good for 500+HP on race gas on this engine. Probably 400-450 on pump, but I will run it around 350 most of the time and bump it up when I need it. Attached image(s)
|
| mgp4591 |
Apr 14 2015, 02:05 AM
Post
#312
|
|
914 Guru ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 6,037 Joined: 1-August 12 From: Salt Lake City Ut Member No.: 14,748 Region Association: Intermountain Region
|
Okay, that's just freakin' SICK!! You're forgiven for not driving your 914 to WCR... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
|
| Mike Bellis |
Apr 14 2015, 07:39 AM
Post
#313
|
|
Resident Electrician ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 8,348 Joined: 22-June 09 From: Midlothian TX Member No.: 10,496 Region Association: None
|
|
| Andyrew |
Apr 15 2015, 01:34 PM
Post
#314
|
|
Spooling.... Please wait ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 13,381 Joined: 20-January 03 From: Riverbank, Ca Member No.: 172 Region Association: Northern California
|
I was questioned about radiator hose routing for constant air purging and I think now would be a great time to explain that in a diagram.
This does a really good job of explaining the system and whats what. It would be easy to remove either the turbo or the heater core from this system. In my new setup with the 1.8T engine I will be utilizing this almost 100% and modifying it to fit the mid engine layout. This means I will probably pull the heater line from the hot side vs going off the block to prevent from running multiple lines under/through the car. Attached image(s)
|
| Mike Bellis |
Apr 15 2015, 02:11 PM
Post
#315
|
|
Resident Electrician ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 8,348 Joined: 22-June 09 From: Midlothian TX Member No.: 10,496 Region Association: None
|
I have removed #4 and run a sandwich plate to a mocal thermostat on the way to my setrab oil cooler. I still have everything else in some fashion.
|
| Andyrew |
Apr 16 2015, 06:07 PM
Post
#316
|
|
Spooling.... Please wait ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 13,381 Joined: 20-January 03 From: Riverbank, Ca Member No.: 172 Region Association: Northern California
|
Working on some sketches for the concept dash/interior durring my commute (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Attached thumbnail(s) |
| Andyrew |
Apr 18 2015, 12:06 AM
Post
#317
|
|
Spooling.... Please wait ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 13,381 Joined: 20-January 03 From: Riverbank, Ca Member No.: 172 Region Association: Northern California
|
Finished up my dash /interior concept.
Gotta figure out if I want to remake the door panels as well, but most likely (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Attached thumbnail(s) |
| Andyrew |
Apr 18 2015, 12:08 AM
Post
#318
|
|
Spooling.... Please wait ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 13,381 Joined: 20-January 03 From: Riverbank, Ca Member No.: 172 Region Association: Northern California
|
Pt 2
Attached thumbnail(s) |
| Andyrew |
Apr 19 2015, 09:04 PM
Post
#319
|
|
Spooling.... Please wait ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 13,381 Joined: 20-January 03 From: Riverbank, Ca Member No.: 172 Region Association: Northern California
|
Found some old pics of the car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) This was from my first day getting it home and cleaning it
Attached image(s)
|
| Chris H. |
Apr 19 2015, 09:31 PM
Post
#320
|
|
Senior Member ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 4,106 Joined: 2-January 03 From: Chicago 'burbs Member No.: 73 Region Association: Upper MidWest
|
Wow...flashback...was that before you even had a driver's license?
Good call on the Audi drivetrain. You already know your way around a 1.8t. Might want to get a good look at Mike's engine cradle. He just re-did it. Even though you're going with the 5 speed it should be a similar setup. |
| Andyrew |
Apr 19 2015, 09:38 PM
Post
#321
|
|
Spooling.... Please wait ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 13,381 Joined: 20-January 03 From: Riverbank, Ca Member No.: 172 Region Association: Northern California
|
Chris,
Yes it was! I was 14 at the time. This was before I even had a permit! I had been saving for quite a while and was choosing between a 510, a 914 or a 60's mustang. With my dad being into 944's at the time it was a natural progression to step into. I actually partially funded it with the back yard remodel you could see in some of the pics. I plan on conversing with Mike about some of the more detailed aspects of his conversion like he conversed with me about 1.8's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) The cradle will be a difficult point. Depending on how quickly I get into building it I might have to outsource the bends (My dad has a bender but he's moving to oregon in 5 months). But welding is my strong point so I dont have any real qualms about building it. |
| Mike Bellis |
Apr 19 2015, 10:28 PM
Post
#322
|
|
Resident Electrician ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 8,348 Joined: 22-June 09 From: Midlothian TX Member No.: 10,496 Region Association: None
|
Most of my cradle is 1/2" & 5/8" DOM. I bent it with a 3/4" conduit bender. The triangulated small tube makes it light and strong.
|
| Andyrew |
Apr 19 2015, 10:49 PM
Post
#323
|
|
Spooling.... Please wait ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 13,381 Joined: 20-January 03 From: Riverbank, Ca Member No.: 172 Region Association: Northern California
|
Conduit bender eh?
Like this puppy? http://www.amazon.com/NSI-Industries-CB75-...=conduit+bender (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/ecx.images-amazon.com-172-1429505360.1.jpg) |
| mgp4591 |
Apr 19 2015, 11:17 PM
Post
#324
|
|
914 Guru ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 6,037 Joined: 1-August 12 From: Salt Lake City Ut Member No.: 14,748 Region Association: Intermountain Region
|
|
| Mike Bellis |
Apr 20 2015, 06:10 PM
Post
#325
|
|
Resident Electrician ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 8,348 Joined: 22-June 09 From: Midlothian TX Member No.: 10,496 Region Association: None
|
Just like that bender. You will need a piece of threaded pipe or the correct handle to go with it. Either search for conduit bending on Google for instructions or I can come out and help you.
For pics of my cradle, see my build thread. Link below. |
| Andyrew |
Apr 20 2015, 07:17 PM
Post
#326
|
|
Spooling.... Please wait ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 13,381 Joined: 20-January 03 From: Riverbank, Ca Member No.: 172 Region Association: Northern California
|
Sounds good, Did you heat up the metal before bending or did it roll over OK by hand? I have a feeling I'll be attaching it to my vice on my bench so I doubt I'll need a handle (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
|
| Mike Bellis |
Apr 20 2015, 08:10 PM
Post
#327
|
|
Resident Electrician ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 8,348 Joined: 22-June 09 From: Midlothian TX Member No.: 10,496 Region Association: None
|
They are meant to be bent on the ground with a handle and foot. Notice the ridged part on the right side of t your pic, this is for your foot. The tube hooks into the left side and pulling while stepping makes the bent. Curves and angles are very repeatable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zimw9PShuww |
| Andyrew |
Apr 20 2015, 09:33 PM
Post
#328
|
|
Spooling.... Please wait ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 13,381 Joined: 20-January 03 From: Riverbank, Ca Member No.: 172 Region Association: Northern California
|
The video I saw earlier didnt show some of the stuff on this video. Great video! I didnt realize you use your foot for the pressure.
|
| Andyrew |
Apr 27 2015, 11:18 PM
Post
#329
|
|
Spooling.... Please wait ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 13,381 Joined: 20-January 03 From: Riverbank, Ca Member No.: 172 Region Association: Northern California
|
Well the SBC kit has been posted. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=254491
On a more promising note I did receive my Boxster shifter and linkage!! Also I have been playing around with fabric for the interior and practicing sewing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Deciding on colors for the interior, but I think I want to match this with orange stitching, and black suede for the seats/doors with leather accents. I've always loved brown interior, never had it! Attached image(s)
|
| Mueller |
Apr 28 2015, 09:39 AM
Post
#330
|
|
914 Freak! ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 17,155 Joined: 4-January 03 From: Antioch, CA Member No.: 87 Region Association: None
|
Hey Andrew,
I bet it'll be a screamer with a built 1.8...I hope to go for a ride in Mikes 1.8 this weekend, at least around the block or a quick freeway trip! (hint, hint Mike! ) For bending the tubing, also look into filling with sand...depending on the radius, with or without heat...i have an oxy/acetylene setup if you want to come over if you need some extra heat. A few youtube video and if you have a VCR, I have a tape you can borrow, or you can rent the DVD from here: https://smartflix.com/store/video/141/Working-with-Tubing If you need anything CNC'd or plasma cut, don't be shy. |
![]() ![]() |
|
Lo-Fi Version | Time is now: 4th October 2026 - 10:05 PM |
| All rights reserved 914World.com © since 2002 |
|
914World.com is the fastest growing online 914 community! We have it all, classifieds, events, forums, vendors, parts, autocross, racing, technical articles, events calendar, newsletter, restoration, gallery, archives, history and more for your Porsche 914 ... |