Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs
 
914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!
 
Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
 

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Andyrews Progress Thread, 1/16/22 A Trip to The Red Barn - Lets fab a Firewall!
Andyrew
post Jan 19 2011, 01:01 PM
Post #1


Spooling.... Please wait
**********

Group: Members
Posts: 13,381
Joined: 20-January 03
From: Riverbank, Ca
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California



Welcome to my Audi Turbo 914 build thread! This first post has been highly edited for your(and my) ease of navigation.
`
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-172-1428991066.jpg)
`
The car 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 w/ appearance group package
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-172-1429499049.jpg)
`
The Story:
I purchased this car when I was 14years old and had bought 2 other 914s with it for a measly $1100, The other 2 914’s were basket cases and one had been in a roll over. The previous owner put the 2.0 from the roll over car in this car. I parted out the other two cars and DID A V8 CONVERSION on mine after I couldn’t figure out how to adjust the valves (It seemed easier..). I do a 5 lug conversion as well as put some fiberglass flares on the car and many other things before I decide to paint the car. That is the start of this thread.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1210.photobucket.com-172-1295463716.1.jpg)
`
Next I decide that I don’t like how the v8 drives and how I could never keep it cool so I decide to embark on a journey with an engine I was already more familiar with. The Audi 1.8T.
To start at the 1.8T engine conversion click below.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...4780&st=309

Details on the car:
Engine: Audi AEB 1.8t Engine, Fully rebuilt, balanced rotating assembly and blueprinted, balanced and clearanced Intermediate shaft.
Crankshaft: Stock/polished
Rods: Scat Forged I beam rods
Pistons: Stock
Cams: Stock
Valves: Stock intake, Stainless nitrite coated Supertech exhaust AEVN-1103
Valve springs: Supertech high rpm valves SPRK-AUDI18
Piston rings: Goetze 08-502900-00 (Factory stock)
Head gasket: Elring Stock head gasket
Rod bearings: 034 Dry film coated bearings 034-202-1008
Crank bearings: 034 Dry film coated bearings 034-202-1000
Intake Manifold: Stock
Throttle Body: Stock AWM
Exhaust Manifold: APR Iconel Stage 3 manifold
Exhaust: 3" turbo back stainless steel w/ 2 stainless resonators
Intercooler: 700hp air to water core.
Turbo: Comp Turbo triple ball bearing CTB5356
Injectors: Bosch 550CC injectors ported and flow matched to 1300CC
Fuel Pump: Bosch 044 inside 034 Surge tank
Fuel rail: Stock fed with AN10 line
Water pump: Davies Craig EWP150 w/ LCD controller
MAF: PMAS HPX MAF in 3" housing
Boost controller: Cortex EBC

Transmission: Audi A4 1.8 5 speed code EHV FWD unit
100mm stub axles from boxster transmission
eBay sprung type LSD


Wiring: Strip all Porsche wiring, Replace with Audi wiring 100%
Engine Management: Modified OEM Audi Ecu
Power brakes: Not yet
ABS integration: Not yet
Traction control integration: Not yet
Launch control: Not yet
Cruise control: Yes
Climate control/AC: Yes
OBD2 full control: Yes
Check engine light: No smile.gif
Front trunk and rear trunk: YES!


8psi: 240whp (Canyon and autox setting)
14psi: 280whp (Street)
17PSI: 300whp (Track and Street driving) (Estimated power goal)
30psi(E85): 400whp (Full tilt mode)


Suspension:
Raised 911 spindals up front with Koni yellows
Mueller Roller Needle Bearings front and rear in leu of all bushings
Turbo tie rods
22mm Torsion bars
Nascar front sway bar
Koni yellows rear
911 rear hubs with 100mm studs
Ground control coil over kit in rear
225lb springs

Brakes:
911 A calipers front
Stock 914 rear calipers
Vented rotors front and rear
Porterfield semi race pads
19mm M/C
Proportioning valve replaced with T

Wheels:
Boxter rear 17 x 8.5 twists up front with 245 40 17
911 turbo 18 x 10 turbo twists in back with 285 35 18

Body:
Rich Bontempi HPH Flares Front and Rear, Molded
916 front and rear bumpers (front bumper to be reworked completely)
6" ducktail spoiler with supports
Engman long stiffening kit
Seam welded rear
Camp 914 hood shocks rear
Camp 914 Euro front turn signals
Bike rack (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Interior(In Progress):

Fully custom interior (Still in design phase)
Harness Bar
5 point Cam lock harnesses
Pepboys Corbeau style seats





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now that the intro is done, here is my checklist of things that I want to get done with it.

Register *5-15-11*
Fix ignition **5-30-11**
Tune (again) ecu ** Converted back to Carbs after ECU died 5-30-11**
Clean goo in trunk (pic)
Install Dr window crank *5-30-11*
Change oil ****Finished 1-29-11****
Change water pump *Received Remanufactured pump from Slits 1-26-11****Finished Install w/ hangups 1-29-11****
Flush coolant
Finish targa bar S *Started progress on the bar*
Dr front 1/4 *Sand day 1 1-29-11* *Bondo Day 2-1-11**Primer Day 2-19-11*
Dr door *Sand day 1 1-29-11**Bondo Day 2-1-11*[/url]*Primer Day 2-19-11*
Rocker pannels *5-7-11*
Dr rear 1/4 *Sand day 1 1-29-11**Bondo Day 2-1-11*[/url]*Primer Day 2-19-11*
Trunk *Removed spoiler, Plugged old spoiler holes, Long board sanded trunk*
Rear bumper *Page 8*
Pass rear 1/4 *4-17-11*
Pass door *4-17-11*
Pass front 1/4 *4-17-11*
Front bumper *5-5-11*
Hood *Primer 5-2-11* *Paint 5-15-11*
Top *5-4-11[url=http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=114780&st=120#]
Primer sealer *5-15-11*
Paint *5-15-11*
Radiator cutouts in wheel well (And replace hood with stock) ***Completed 1-26-11***
Fix headlights *6-8-11*
Fix horn
Finish seat install ****Progress 1-19-11**** ***Finished 1-26-11***
Finish carpet *6-8-11*
Finish front sway bar
Fix Dr Door handle

This post has been edited by Andyrew: Jan 15 2022, 09:16 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
44 Pages V « < 16 17 18 19 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(330 - 349)
Andyrew
post Apr 28 2015, 09:48 AM
Post #331


Spooling.... Please wait
**********

Group: Members
Posts: 13,381
Joined: 20-January 03
From: Riverbank, Ca
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California



Mike,
I will need to come up with some axle flangr adapters, I think I am going to use the bus CV's that i have with the outer adapters and make some inner adapters for the Audi flanges. Ill let you know when i get to that point and let you know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanks for the tip on the sand! My dad is finishing buildin a GSXr powered buggy so we have been playing with bending larger pipe with a HF bender, but judging from the bends ive seen I think the conduit bender might work better for the small diameter pipe Ill be working with. I do have a map/oxy torch and thatll get what i need red hot so that should be sufficient, but thanks!!

I also really want a ride in Mikes car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 28 2015, 11:23 AM
Post #332


Resident Electrician
*****

Group: Members
Posts: 8,348
Joined: 22-June 09
From: Midlothian TX
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None



You guys will have to arm wrestle to see who rides first.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 30 2015, 02:00 AM
Post #333


Spooling.... Please wait
**********

Group: Members
Posts: 13,381
Joined: 20-January 03
From: Riverbank, Ca
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California



Got a little bit of work done. Hopefully I will finish up the shift linkage this weekend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image
The main pivot that I used was a timing belt idle pulley. I planned on buying a new one and this fit the bill really nicely! Most of it was made from flat stock, the bit that goes around the trans shaft was the most difficult as after 3 times going to the steel shop I got the wrong diameter... In the end I settled on doing what Mike did and have it bolt tighten vs just a slip tighten.
Attached Image
You can see there is a lot of extra metal on the setup and it will be trimmed off after all is said and done. What is left is fabricating the brackets to hold the cables in place then to test the system and adjust. My bench testing shows that it seems to work just fine, The linkage moves a bit more than necessary to find reverse, but I dont really see that as a long term issue.
Attached Image

Attached Image
I did some maths to figure out angles and lengths... Its interesting that my setup is so much different than Mikes. in terms of lengths and angles. I highly doubt there will be much if any difference in feel.

Attached Image
Oh and a fun toy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I hope I dont go overboard with this... But I plan to hide little Porsche crest everywhere, and a couple obvious one's in the headrests. If anyone wants me to imprint any leather or vinyl PM me. Its fairly small..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 30 2015, 02:21 AM
Post #334


Spooling.... Please wait
**********

Group: Members
Posts: 13,381
Joined: 20-January 03
From: Riverbank, Ca
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California



Purchased this radiator and took some measurements. It actually came in 2 days I think? 2-ROW/CORE ALUMINUM RADIATOR+BOLT-ON RED FAN SHROUD 00-05 TOYOTA CELICA GT/GTS
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180901154597

Attached Image
Comes in two boxes separately, packaged fairly nice. However one of my plastic drain plug screws was broken. I plan on plugging those with a bolt anyways.
Attached Image
Core height
Attached Image
Actual height with mounting points
Attached Image
Width inlet to outlet
Attached Image
width side to side top, also shows plastic drain (one in upper right and lower left)
Attached Image
Width of the side tanks middle
Attached Image
Horrible placement of tabs for the radiator shroud. I THINK it will bolt on but totally skewed angle and it doesnt really sit flat. I'll be using a gasket/foam underneath.
Attached Image
One hole lined up... This was with the shroud in what I believe to be optimum position.
Attached Image
Total width just under 6", Core width is a full 2"

Side note, Core is a true 2 row. You can see/feel inside where the hose inlets are, and it looks to be of fairly good construction.

I also tested the fans and they did not flow what I felt to be enough to cool the system, Especially if I have a condenser in front of it. Fans are a claimed 1250 and I suspect closer to 7-800. I have an old Audi 12" fan that pushed out noticeably more air in a more uniform fashion. Also my 16" fan just blew both out of the water (For kicks my Lincoln mark 7 fan pushed ME back...)

I suspect I will be replacing the fans down the road, probably before I even run them as they are just some Chinese fan..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post May 30 2015, 02:35 AM
Post #335


Meat Popsicle
***

Group: Members
Posts: 1,462
Joined: 13-December 09
From: Saratoga CA
Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California



No Chinese fans allowed

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s8.postimg.org-11125-1432974932.1.jpg)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Looking forward to your build.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post May 30 2015, 06:55 AM
Post #336


Senior Member
***

Group: Members
Posts: 1,167
Joined: 8-July 03
From: DeSoto, Tx
Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region



Andy,

Are the radiator inlet and outlet on the bottom of the radiator?
I haven't bought one of these, but I have been looking for a while -
It always appeared to me that the photos showed the radiators upside down...

Also, can you tell me which tranny your using? I see the post about the boxter shifter and linkage, but looks like I missed the post on the tranny details...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post May 30 2015, 09:08 AM
Post #337


Senior Member
****

Group: Members
Posts: 4,106
Joined: 2-January 03
From: Chicago 'burbs
Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest



Yeah I had to bend/open the holes to get the fans to mount. The radiator itself is pretty good. The fans should be enough for my setup but we'll see. Inlet and outlet are at the bottom, which is nice. I forgot to plug one of the drain holes on first start BTW...oops! Had to take the whole damn shroud back apart.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post May 30 2015, 09:28 AM
Post #338


Senior Member
***

Group: Members
Posts: 1,167
Joined: 8-July 03
From: DeSoto, Tx
Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region



Chris,

Do you have any pics of your shroud or the assembly of the shroud ?
It would be interesting to see what you did -
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post May 30 2015, 10:09 AM
Post #339


Senior Member
****

Group: Members
Posts: 4,106
Joined: 2-January 03
From: Chicago 'burbs
Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest



Sure. I'll dig them up.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 30 2015, 10:19 AM
Post #340


Spooling.... Please wait
**********

Group: Members
Posts: 13,381
Joined: 20-January 03
From: Riverbank, Ca
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California



Dakota,

Trans is from a 92 Audi 100 FWD v6.

I've got a spare A4 quattro transmission that I am going to see about pulling some gears from to make the V6 box more 1.8 friendly. I dont mind being long toothed (Drove a 944 turbo for many years) but I dont want it to fall out of boost...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post May 30 2015, 11:39 AM
Post #341


Resident Electrician
*****

Group: Members
Posts: 8,348
Joined: 22-June 09
From: Midlothian TX
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None



I find my gears too short most of the time. The V6 gearing should be fine at your future HP level.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 30 2015, 12:25 PM
Post #342


Spooling.... Please wait
**********

Group: Members
Posts: 13,381
Joined: 20-January 03
From: Riverbank, Ca
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California



Well that GT28 is VERY responsive in comparison to the Comp turbo that I am planning on running. Here is a video of a guy with the same turbo in his 1.8. Since I am going to be spinning this engine higher it will help but I dont think I'll have nearly the powerband that you have, and with the turbo lag even in RPM, a bit tighter first and second should help. It'll still be longer than your 1.8 box. What is your trani code or gear ratio's? I cant seem to find any passat trani ratio's to compare to the Audi ones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1BH_9IJKWw

I have been considering bumping my engine to a 2.0L when I rebuild my engine so as to help with the low end.

Below is a link to the spreadsheet of the three gearboxes and others.. The yellow one is the V6 box as it stands (Audi 100 V6 fwd), the first grey is the A4 1.8T quattro box, and the tan is the custom box with the gears listed on the side. I was planning on snatching a V6 A4 box from PnP that would have the taller 5th gear than my Audi 100 box. This would really help lower cruising RPM and noise. If anything I could open the box in PNP and just buy the gears or something...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8kikaf08oij9ijx/A...atios.xlsx?dl=0
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post May 30 2015, 12:56 PM
Post #343


Resident Electrician
*****

Group: Members
Posts: 8,348
Joined: 22-June 09
From: Midlothian TX
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None



Mine is an EZG.

See spreadsheet...
Attached File  012___01W_Audi_VW_transaxle_data_simplified.xls ( 41k ) Number of downloads: 1111
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 30 2015, 01:36 PM
Post #344


Spooling.... Please wait
**********

Group: Members
Posts: 13,381
Joined: 20-January 03
From: Riverbank, Ca
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California



Aha,

Well thats the same FD,1st,2nd,3rd, and 4th as my proposed custom box... I need to go for a ride....

What size rear tires are you running, IIRC your running a shorter tire than me, combined with me running more RPM would make my gears feel much longer than your box. I remember when I had my KO3 and shifted at 6k I felt like it was a pretty short gearbox and hated going into 3rd for 60.. When I went with the big turbo and increase the limit to 7250 I loved the gear spacing.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post May 30 2015, 02:33 PM
Post #345


Resident Electrician
*****

Group: Members
Posts: 8,348
Joined: 22-June 09
From: Midlothian TX
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None



QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 30 2015, 12:36 PM) *

Aha,

Well thats the same FD,1st,2nd,3rd, and 4th as my proposed custom box... I need to go for a ride....

What size rear tires are you running, IIRC your running a shorter tire than me, combined with me running more RPM would make my gears feel much longer than your box. I remember when I had my KO3 and shifted at 6k I felt like it was a pretty short gearbox and hated going into 3rd for 60.. When I went with the big turbo and increase the limit to 7250 I loved the gear spacing.

245/50/16
I love the spread of 3-4. 1st & 2nd are short and 5th needs to be taller. Oddly enough my 6 speed has the same final ratio (.003 difference), doing 80mph at 3200 rpm. 1st on the 6 speed is super short.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 1 2015, 10:29 PM
Post #346


Spooling.... Please wait
**********

Group: Members
Posts: 13,381
Joined: 20-January 03
From: Riverbank, Ca
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California



Got the cable shifter done yesterday. Very happy with it! I need to come up with some way of retaining the cables, right now there pretty tight I have to wiggle them with some force to put them in place, but its possible itll come out. Maybe a slotted hose clamp or zip ties (Or I could leave it... I seriously doubt it'll come loose) Whole shifter mechanism weighs 4.2lbs including the mounts. Better than I was expecting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN1-YbGolBw


I mounted the engine on a cart to push around a bit better. I think I am going to start with an engine bar mount bar similar to the 914 bar. Should be easy enough to fabricate. Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 1 2015, 11:15 PM
Post #347


Resident Electrician
*****

Group: Members
Posts: 8,348
Joined: 22-June 09
From: Midlothian TX
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None



Steam Punk! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-172-1433219330_thumb.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 1 2015, 11:17 PM
Post #348


Resident Electrician
*****

Group: Members
Posts: 8,348
Joined: 22-June 09
From: Midlothian TX
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None



I have a better set of 100mm axle flanges for you. Fully round without the flat spot.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 6 2015, 06:52 PM
Post #349


Spooling.... Please wait
**********

Group: Members
Posts: 13,381
Joined: 20-January 03
From: Riverbank, Ca
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California



QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 1 2015, 10:15 PM) *


Hahaha just saw this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Very true


I've been spending a bunch of time working on my excel sheet and getting all my purchases in order.

Did some research on my water pump and decided on the Davies Craig pump and electronic controller.
http://www.amazon.com/Davies-Craig-Metal-E...ds=davies+craig
I am considering the new LCD display as well just because, but its going to get hidden behind my dash so I am not really that sure if I want it..
https://daviescraig.com.au/switches-controllers


Heres some info on the pumps and their research. Combined with their controller I think it would be a pretty efficient system..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrfux_-6RVw


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia4BQR23r4I
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 6 2015, 07:07 PM
Post #350


Resident Electrician
*****

Group: Members
Posts: 8,348
Joined: 22-June 09
From: Midlothian TX
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None



I highly recommend this pump/ It's a little cheaper too.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/emp-e389a-bk14

I considered the davis pump but this one runs silent and is mounted in line. Works great on the 1.8t also most davis pumps ship without fittings. So there is an extra cost.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

44 Pages V « < 16 17 18 19 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
6 User(s) are reading this topic (6 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

 



- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th October 2026 - 10:55 PM
...