Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

44 Pages V « < 16 17 18 19 20 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Andyrews Progress Thread, 1/16/22 A Trip to The Red Barn - Lets fab a Firewall!
Mike Bellis
post May 30 2015, 11:39 AM
Post #341

Resident Electrician

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I find my gears too short most of the time. The V6 gearing should be fine at your future HP level.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 30 2015, 12:25 PM
Post #342

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Well that GT28 is VERY responsive in comparison to the Comp turbo that I am planning on running. Here is a video of a guy with the same turbo in his 1.8. Since I am going to be spinning this engine higher it will help but I dont think I'll have nearly the powerband that you have, and with the turbo lag even in RPM, a bit tighter first and second should help. It'll still be longer than your 1.8 box. What is your trani code or gear ratio's? I cant seem to find any passat trani ratio's to compare to the Audi ones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1BH_9IJKWw

I have been considering bumping my engine to a 2.0L when I rebuild my engine so as to help with the low end.

Below is a link to the spreadsheet of the three gearboxes and others.. The yellow one is the V6 box as it stands (Audi 100 V6 fwd), the first grey is the A4 1.8T quattro box, and the tan is the custom box with the gears listed on the side. I was planning on snatching a V6 A4 box from PnP that would have the taller 5th gear than my Audi 100 box. This would really help lower cruising RPM and noise. If anything I could open the box in PNP and just buy the gears or something...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8kikaf08oij9ijx/A...atios.xlsx?dl=0
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post May 30 2015, 12:56 PM
Post #343

Resident Electrician

Mine is an EZG.

See spreadsheet...
Attached File  012___01W_Audi_VW_transaxle_data_simplified.xls ( 41k ) Number of downloads: 214
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 30 2015, 01:36 PM
Post #344

Spooling.... Please wait

Aha,

Well thats the same FD,1st,2nd,3rd, and 4th as my proposed custom box... I need to go for a ride....

What size rear tires are you running, IIRC your running a shorter tire than me, combined with me running more RPM would make my gears feel much longer than your box. I remember when I had my KO3 and shifted at 6k I felt like it was a pretty short gearbox and hated going into 3rd for 60.. When I went with the big turbo and increase the limit to 7250 I loved the gear spacing.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post May 30 2015, 02:33 PM
Post #345

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 30 2015, 12:36 PM) *

Aha,

Well thats the same FD,1st,2nd,3rd, and 4th as my proposed custom box... I need to go for a ride....

What size rear tires are you running, IIRC your running a shorter tire than me, combined with me running more RPM would make my gears feel much longer than your box. I remember when I had my KO3 and shifted at 6k I felt like it was a pretty short gearbox and hated going into 3rd for 60.. When I went with the big turbo and increase the limit to 7250 I loved the gear spacing.

245/50/16
I love the spread of 3-4. 1st & 2nd are short and 5th needs to be taller. Oddly enough my 6 speed has the same final ratio (.003 difference), doing 80mph at 3200 rpm. 1st on the 6 speed is super short.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 1 2015, 10:29 PM
Post #346

Spooling.... Please wait

Got the cable shifter done yesterday. Very happy with it! I need to come up with some way of retaining the cables, right now there pretty tight I have to wiggle them with some force to put them in place, but its possible itll come out. Maybe a slotted hose clamp or zip ties (Or I could leave it... I seriously doubt it'll come loose) Whole shifter mechanism weighs 4.2lbs including the mounts. Better than I was expecting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN1-YbGolBw

I mounted the engine on a cart to push around a bit better. I think I am going to start with an engine bar mount bar similar to the 914 bar. Should be easy enough to fabricate. Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 1 2015, 11:15 PM
Post #347

Resident Electrician

Steam Punk! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-172-1433219330_thumb.jpg)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 1 2015, 11:17 PM
Post #348

Resident Electrician

I have a better set of 100mm axle flanges for you. Fully round without the flat spot.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 6 2015, 06:52 PM
Post #349

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 1 2015, 10:15 PM) *

Hahaha just saw this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Very true

I've been spending a bunch of time working on my excel sheet and getting all my purchases in order.

Did some research on my water pump and decided on the Davies Craig pump and electronic controller.
http://www.amazon.com/Davies-Craig-Metal-E...ds=davies+craig
I am considering the new LCD display as well just because, but its going to get hidden behind my dash so I am not really that sure if I want it..
https://daviescraig.com.au/switches-controllers

Heres some info on the pumps and their research. Combined with their controller I think it would be a pretty efficient system..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrfux_-6RVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia4BQR23r4I
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 6 2015, 07:07 PM
Post #350

Resident Electrician

I highly recommend this pump/ It's a little cheaper too.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/emp-e389a-bk14

I considered the davis pump but this one runs silent and is mounted in line. Works great on the 1.8t also most davis pumps ship without fittings. So there is an extra cost.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 6 2015, 08:15 PM
Post #351

Spooling.... Please wait

Mike does that come with a controller like the davis pump? Because the davis pump itself is only 225, the controller is another 225/200
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 6 2015, 08:27 PM
Post #352

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 6 2015, 07:15 PM) *

Mike does that come with a controller like the davis pump? Because the davis pump itself is only 225, the controller is another 225/200

It does not have an LCD unit. It has some kind of controller bolted to it. I simply run a relay and have it start with the fuel pump. It starts slow and ramps up to full speed in a minute or so. Only way to hear it run is with your ear stuck to it.

It also pumps 55gpm. I could not find a rating on the davies unit.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 6 2015, 08:57 PM
Post #353

Spooling.... Please wait

David unit is 30 or 40 depending on the model. (Im thinking 30, they actually reccend smaller for a 1.8

Check out that first video its got some amazing test results showing how the speed did not have that much affect on actual cooling ability as it allowed the radiator to do more cooling.

The swcond vid ahows how interesting the controller is and the main reason why I want to try this system
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 6 2015, 09:19 PM
Post #354

Resident Electrician

Hopefully it will work well. One this to consider is most cars also have air flow over the engine to take away heat as well. The 914 conversions don't.

I found the 1.8t mechanical pump could not flow well enough to keep my engine cool.

You will be making a lot of HP which equals heat. I want to see this pulsating pump in action.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 6 2015, 10:12 PM
Post #355

Spooling.... Please wait

Mike, Are you still running the stock water pump as well, just without a thermostat?
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 6 2015, 10:20 PM
Post #356

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 6 2015, 09:12 PM) *

Mike, Are you still running the stock water pump as well, just without a thermostat?

Stock pump is there with no belt and spinning freely. I have the thermostat with three 1/8" holes drilled in it.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 7 2015, 10:10 PM
Post #357

Spooling.... Please wait

Mike,

I think I'll take you up on those axle flanges, I have some bus axles and adapters that I can probably just use as spacers (Or sell and make spacers) depending on my requirements there. Combine this with some 944 turbo axle stubs and it should be a relatively bolt in system..

Im still thinking I need to utilize the spacers as my ABS sensor or build the sensors on the back side of the flanges. This would take some real custom machining but I think its 100% doable. (I might enlist some help from guys with many more tools than I (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif))

Onto this weekends progress... I fabricated the base of the engine mount. I could have made this level and had the bar go across all the way but that would require a lot of measuring and the engine in place. Heck I may still do that. BUT This gets me a low clearance bar that I can tie into. Bar is 1 1/2" DOM and is pretty overkill when you really look at it. I left an extra 10" overhanging total and will just use that for the real fabrication points of the chassis to the engine and cut off the excess. I am using the stock motor mount brackets and motor mounts themselves (The one's I am currently using are racing motor mounts and a very high density, I might switch one out for a stock mount to eliminate some vibration).
Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 7 2015, 10:34 PM
Post #358

Resident Electrician

How are you going to clock the transaxle so the shafts are level? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I'll dig the flanges out for the next time I see you.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 7 2015, 11:13 PM
Post #359

Spooling.... Please wait

I'll just adjust the engine/trans so the shafts are level. Im really not anticipating a huge issue here. Since the engine can be relatively anywhere within about 15 degrees I'll just move it forward/back left/right till the shafts are equal. The shafts will be the largest priority for the engine placement. I'll find the location that puts the trans at the right height and the shafts at an appropriate angle at right height and pivot the engine till it clears as much as possible with the largest ground clearance. I think I am going to place the engine while its on 3 small jacks and just build the mount around that.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 7 2015, 11:15 PM
Post #360

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 7 2015, 10:13 PM) *

I'll just adjust the engine/trans so the shafts are level. Im really not anticipating a huge issue here. Since the engine can be relatively anywhere within about 15 degrees I'll just move it forward/back left/right till the shafts are equal. The shafts will be the largest priority for the engine placement. I'll find the location that puts the trans at the right height and the shafts at an appropriate angle at right height and pivot the engine till it clears as much as possible with the largest ground clearance. I think I am going to place the engine while its on 3 small jacks and just build the mount around that.

That's basically what I did. I put a level on the tranny since the motor has no real level parts.
+Quote Post

44 Pages V « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 02:29 AM