Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

44 Pages V « < 22 23 24 25 26 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Andyrews Progress Thread, 1/16/22 A Trip to The Red Barn - Lets fab a Firewall!
Andyrew
post Jan 1 2016, 12:26 PM
Post #461

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

My final update for December 2015 is below (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Guess who welded up the engine/trani mounts for their final position?

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
I'll add one support to this, I dont have any bolts on the trani closer up top that will triangulate this for load so I am going to use the hoist hole for one.

Attached Image

This is immediately after tack welds, They are all 90% welded now, but will finish that up in January. I was able to remove the 8 bolts holding it all together (4 up front and the 4 trani bolts for the oem mounts) and raise the car up in a couple minutes. Really happy with how that turned out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 1 2016, 02:34 PM
Post #462

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Muy congrats, Andrew. Question. In your last pic, I see you cut out the piece adjacent to the trunk light and then welded a piece back in the same spot? Re-enforcement or change of plans? More pics, pls. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 1 2016, 02:42 PM
Post #463

Spooling.... Please wait

That 1' cutout is for the distributor on a SBC conversion. Different clearancing is needed for the Audi engine.
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jan 1 2016, 03:03 PM
Post #464

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Looking good. Progress!

+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 1 2016, 09:17 PM
Post #465

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 2 2016, 11:49 AM
Post #466

Spooling.... Please wait

Attached Image
From yesterday, Finished off the welding on the body and the mounts, added the support, cutoff the excess and welded plugs to prevent rusting.

Attached Image
Bench tested my boost controller finally and its bad.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Trying to get a refund from ebay but the guy that sold it to me didnt sell me the wiring harness (he played stupid in his auction, stating it was something else...) so I had to wait for a harness from China to come in and when I tested it well... ya. Dead LCD.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.usrallyteam.com-172-1451756993.1.jpg)
So there happens to be a sale going on right now for another EBC that I am interested in. 6 settings (Which I like....) and its programed via computer. Gear based, RPM based, speed based, and can control my water injection as well (awesome!) Its very small so it would fit with my dash layout much better than the other one as well which I like.

http://www.usrallyteam.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=2017
+Quote Post
paroxysm
post Jan 2 2016, 09:19 PM
Post #467

Member No.: 1,888

Not trying to hijack your thread

It looks very similar to my build, but for my rear tranny mount I just built an adapter.
I certainly need to upgrade my shifter assembly to be more rugged like yours mine was just some spare VW mk3 parts I had laying around.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i106.photobucket.com-1888-1451791151.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i106.photobucket.com-1888-1451791151.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i106.photobucket.com-1888-1451791151.3.jpg)
I hope to just finish this car enough to drive the bugs out of it this year. Anyone know if I can drive on a base stage 3 big turbo tune? Or should I try and dyno tune this thing without any of the bugs worked out?
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 2 2016, 10:51 PM
Post #468

Spooling.... Please wait

Awesome!

Do you have an active build thread on here? If not you should really make one, your build looks interesting! I think you have your engine about 2" forward of mine, do you have any cv issues and what cvs are you using?

What turbo are you using and what turbo is your stage 3 file for? I ran my turbo on my apr stage 3 file(made for a gr28rs) and didnt have any issues at 10psi but I was getting stuttering above that. You can get it tuned by some online tuners that give you a base tune and then fine tune it from logs you run.
+Quote Post
paroxysm
post Jan 3 2016, 12:17 PM
Post #469

Member No.: 1,888

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 2 2016, 08:51 PM) *

Awesome!

Do you have an active build thread on here? If not you should really make one, your build looks interesting! I think you have your engine about 2" forward of mine, do you have any cv issues and what cvs are you using?

What turbo are you using and what turbo is your stage 3 file for? I ran my turbo on my apr stage 3 file(made for a gr28rs) and didnt have any issues at 10psi but I was getting stuttering above that. You can get it tuned by some online tuners that give you a base tune and then fine tune it from logs you run.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...0stuka&st=0
This should be my build thread.
The turbo is a gt28rs, my program is revo stage 3 for the turbo. My motor is an AWW 2001 with only 7000 kilometers on it, I paid $1200 for it.
The motor came with a electronic boost controller(not hooked up yet), walboro fuel pump, wideband O2 sensor, genesis 500cc fuel injectors, all new never used.
Now for the CV passenger side is a stock 911 with a empty CV case from a passat B5 used as a spacer, drivers side is a bmw 540i that was the correct length. Don't know how long they last but I had to go cheap for now and that setup only cost $10.
Only problem I've been experiencing is sometimes the car refuses to shut off, place the key in the off position car tries to shut down but then it revs up and continues running, also if I put the car in reverse with the ignition off the backup lights are on.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 3 2016, 01:22 PM
Post #470

Spooling.... Please wait

Ill continue this post on your thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Jan 5 2016, 12:05 AM
Post #471

Member No.: 2,922
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 5 2016, 08:33 AM
Post #472

Spooling.... Please wait

Separated the engine from the trans last night and removed the intake and cylinder head

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

It appears as if the valves have been in contact with the pistons, you can see the mark on the piston in the center and 4 small nicks on the corners (think a square)

The engine builders are telling me to grind off the nicks and use the pistons but the valves need to be gone through.

Im going to take the cams off and do a leakdown on the valves then determine how much valvework I want to do. I have a line on titanium valves and springs that will help me push up the rev limiter to 9k but the turbo will die off after 8k(unless I put a larger exhaust housing on it..)

Trying to keep my engine work under 1500, but I am not sure if I will make it.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 10 2016, 10:18 PM
Post #473

Spooling.... Please wait

Finalized the disassembly of the engine and dropped off the engine at the engine shop.

Attached Image

Work to be done by the engine shop:
Clean block/head
Surface block/head
Hone cylinders
Install H beam rods on factory forged pistons
Balance Rotating assembly
Polish crank

Should be done in about 2-3 weeks. I will assemble the engine at that point.

Also BIG thanks to Mike Bellis for stopping by today and dropping off these MUCH NEEDED 100mm stub axles!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dion
post Jan 11 2016, 04:55 PM
Post #474

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Andrew, wow! Just wow. Impressive project. Keep going, baby.
Having seen what goes into bodywork in person with 914Daves project,
I've a new appreciation for anyone who tackles bodywork that doesn't do it for a living
and does it properly. Very nice.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 16 2016, 03:19 AM
Post #475

Spooling.... Please wait

Progress:

Attached Image
Mounted my intercooler and one of my tanks.

Machine shop kicked it up a notch and pushed the engine assembly out in a week!
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Got it back today and everything looks so clean! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 16 2016, 03:23 AM
Post #476

Spooling.... Please wait

More of all the bits.

Attached Image

Attached Image
Removed the valves and cleaned up all the carbon deposits the hot tank didnt take off.

Attached Image
Removed the casting marks from the exhaust side, I'll hit the intake side this weekend.

Attached Image
Mmm looks so nice!
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 24 2016, 04:44 PM
Post #477

Spooling.... Please wait

All the casting marks are removed from both intake/exhaust side (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Not sure it'll do anything but its at least a step forward on the head build. In a couple years when I build a full stroker motor I'll do a full blown port + polish head.

My Supertech high spring pressure valves and nitrite coated exhaust valves came in! However I had one hickup. I picked up this set new in bag from a Audi community member, apparently it had swapped hands quite a bit and the original owner back in ~08-09 was going to put it in his race car 914 1.8T swap! I have a feeling it was the white race car that was in Excellence mag.

I lapped all the valves just for safety and everything seemed just perfect. Then I replaced all the valve guide seals and started to install all the valve springs.

So onto the valve spring hiccup. I went to install all the springs (If you've done this on an OHV head you'll notice the TINY amount of room on the intake valves... This task took me hours.... Ugh, tiniest of screwdrivers and ~ 1/4" room to work in at a severe angle) and when I got to the exhaust side I noticed that one of the exhaust inner springs was sitting a bit taller than the rest, took it out and I think the manufacturer packaged it wrong and put an intake spring instead of an exhaust inner spring (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif).

Attached Image

Quick email to Supertech and after $12 for the spring and shipping I had it the next day! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Attached Image

Finalized the install on the valves and springs and went to put in the stock hydraulic lifters but noticed that a few of the lifters wouldnt spring very well even though they had been sitting for a week. I let them sit in some ATF to try and loosen them but no luck. So a quick youtube search lead me here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySf0r8GGMOY

So I went and disassembled all my problem lifters and any I thought were not perfect, Labeled them in a bag per lifter hole and let them soak for 6 hours in some Purple Power.

Attached Image

After 6 hours the lifters themselves were very clean and I could see gunk floating at the top of the bags. Cleaned everything up and lubed them with some ATF and sunk them back in the holes they are for.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 24 2016, 04:45 PM
Post #478

Spooling.... Please wait

Oh and the tool I made for the valve guide seals.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jan 24 2016, 07:09 PM
Post #479

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 24 2016, 02:45 PM) *

Oh and the tool I made for the valve guide seals.

Attached Image

I love to make tools from tools, tools into parts, parts into tools and of course, parts into parts.

Hey, make sure you didn't swap springs with another cylinder. I'm sure you checked, but that's what I would have done...
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 24 2016, 07:21 PM
Post #480

Spooling.... Please wait

All the springs were new high strength, intake and exhaust, so no worries there (That said I still have them in line in a box).

I looked up a couple of valve guide seal removers and couldnt find what I wanted so this seemed like the best idea. Which was good because I really didnt have a lot of room to work with. Tape was there to prevent marring of the lifter walls.
+Quote Post

44 Pages V « < 22 23 24 25 26 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 09:15 AM