Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

44 Pages V « < 23 24 25 26 27 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Andyrews Progress Thread, 1/16/22 A Trip to The Red Barn - Lets fab a Firewall!
Andyrew
post Feb 1 2016, 12:19 AM
Post #481

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Finished up the cylinder head with new cam seals, a new cam chain timed correctly, new cam chain tensioner gaskets and new bolts torqued down the exhaust cam gear and intake cam. Didnt have any means of holding the cam in place so I used the old timing belt and screwed it down to the bench.

Attached Image

Im still waiting for my rings to show up from Germany (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) or else the engine would have been assembled this weekend. In the mean time I took some time and plastiguaged the crank bearings, all came to be the exact same on the far side of the spec .038 which I think should help keep the bearings lubed up for the high RPM's and HP this motor will see.

Also I should note this engine will be receiving coated crank and rod bearings which will also help maintain the bottom end.

Attached Image

Threw in the oil pump drive with new seals.

I have the oil pump itself cleaning in some purple power for all of today and tomorrow. I'll put it back together and check the service limit of the pump before I throw it back on the engine.
Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
veekry9
post Feb 1 2016, 02:18 AM
Post #482

OldMember

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 16,025
Region Association: Canada

I am liking the longitudinal four layout,traditional with an F1 sting ('80's).
Still considering a version of my own starring the 944's S2,that I may get started on in a few years*.
I am watching closely,knowing a stretch is needed for the big four,being so long.
Have you any idea how many successful installs have been done?
I had a look around and could find no reference to the type.
You're gonna have a screamer,sounding like a champ car running the Drake and Offys..hmmm,methanol injection.
Found one,a Honda S2000 I think,I'll look some more.
I recall a thread about engine swap types,haven't found it though.

As you're working on a new dash and console,a quick perusal of the work Amida is doing should generate some ideas.
The methods he uses are straightforward and effective,beautiful.
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000091-50.html

Good for wiring diagrams,pcbs,chassis layouts,etc.
http://www.gimp.org/

+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Feb 1 2016, 07:41 AM
Post #483

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Looking good! That's a lot of progress. Nice thing is you won't have to worry that anything is wrong with it internally when you BOOOOOSSSTTT it.

Have to agree the inline 4 is such a smooth, balanced engine. Every time I get in my DD (old) TSX I think...hmmmm.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) .... 2.4L, 200 ish hp... Am I the only one who looks at random cars on the road and assesses it's potential as a donor?
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 1 2016, 08:06 AM
Post #484

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Nice! Power on!
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 1 2016, 09:30 AM
Post #485

Spooling.... Please wait

I agree certain inline 4's are really well balanced. I was suprized when I picked up the rotating assembly, they only took a tiny amount off the crank and added a small weld to the harmonic balancer. I didnt notice anything done to the piston assemblys either, but I had already weighed the rods to be exactly the same, didnt know about the pistons but they are generally pretty light.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 8 2016, 03:15 PM
Post #486

Spooling.... Please wait

Got some wrinkle black paint on the valve cover and some black paint on the block last week (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image

Got the rings Friday!

Attached Image

I spent some time and gapped them Friday evening.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

#4 is not shown, it is the same as #3. My goal was .019in top ring, .020 ring bottom ring and the oil ring was fine with any gap (Shown is in MM). The bottom ring needed to be .001in wider gap than the top. The top will expand with heat and similar builds have put .018in for the top ring, but since I am going to use water/meth on my higher boost 91 file and E85 for my max boost file, the cylinder temps should be relatively low. and therefore wont need so excessive gap differences.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 8 2016, 03:32 PM
Post #487

Spooling.... Please wait

I also cleaned and started installing the crankshaft bearings caps. However when torquing the stretch bolts I had a very bad sound coming from the 3rd bolt I started stretching. The consensus so far is that I did not lube the heads of the bolts and it was binding on the bearing, also I had to much oil on the bolt itself and the oil was creating a physical barrier to stop the bolt from turning. I will be removing the bolts that I havent stretched yet, blow out the holes and reinstall the bolts. I will do this tonight when I get home..

Also, parts parts parts parts...
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 8 2016, 03:32 PM
Post #488

Spooling.... Please wait

Valve cover

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Feb 8 2016, 08:07 PM
Post #489

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 8 2016, 01:32 PM) *

Valve cover

Did you see the Audi commercial where the old Astronaut was bored and depressed until his son took him out for a ride in his new Audi?

It's not like I'm hinting or anything.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 8 2016, 10:14 PM
Post #490

Spooling.... Please wait

Your welcome to the keys for as long as you want (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 11 2016, 02:56 PM
Post #491

Spooling.... Please wait

Since I am not likely to post any progress from this weekend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) I'll post the current progress today.

I finished the installation of the crank without a hitch. I cleaned up the piston ring groves since they were not cleaned properly from the machine shop. Also removing the caps on the rods was a PITA! I installed the rods/pistons and crank 100% with assembly lube and dipped the piston rings in oil.
Attached Image
Attached Image

I also put the cylinder head on with new stretch bolts and lightly lubed the bolts and bolt heads with assembly lube. No issues on install of those (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Finally I installed the intake manifold. I am however missing a couple of nuts for the ends of the intake manifold so I need to grab some.
Attached Image

I tried installing my manual timing belt tensioner, but my grade 8.8 M6 bolts were stretching as I tried tightening them down to 20lb. Im going to go to the bolt store Friday to see if they have any grade 10.9 bolts and maybe those nuts I need.

Attached Image
So I opened up and modified my water pump so it wont be a resistance for my electric water pump. I think it was the easiest option, maybe some day down the road I'll weld up a custom fitting but this wasnt in the cards at this point.

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 24 2016, 09:07 AM
Post #492

Spooling.... Please wait

Progress has been slow due to the holiday and I was away all last weekend for a guys weekend. Hopefully I can spend some time this weekend on it.

I bought some new M6 grade 8.8 bolts for the tensioner as I couldnt get any 10.9. Installed the tensioner and tried adjusting and noticed it wasnt tightening..... Apparently this is a common issue for this aftermarket $150 tensioner... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) The manufacturer has yet to comment on my warranty claim.

Attached Image

However I figured out how to make their $150 kit with the factory components, which makes me pretty angry. Its solid metal so I can tighten it down as many times as I want...
Attached Image
Attached Image

After this I tried turning the engine all the way around and it came to a hard stop. I checked all the valves and engine position and didnt find anything in the way. After a couple days of research I found out the problem was related to the oil pump shaft. The gear at the end of the shaft is near cylinder 4, my performance rods aparently require the gear to be clearanced 6mm or they hit.
Attached Image
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/scch-heads.com-172-1456326454.1.JPG)
I have the shaft at the machine shop, they are machining it down and are going to balance the shaft when they are done (the shaft apparently is very unbalanced from the factory). It wont be lightened and polished like this one, but at least itll be balanced.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/scch-heads.com-172-1456326455.2.JPG)

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 24 2016, 09:16 AM
Post #493

Spooling.... Please wait

And some more small updates. I didnt have a crank lock so I built one for the front and rear of the crank. Rear for the crank gear (not pictures) and front for the flywheel/clutch.
Attached Image

Attached Image

And I threw on the injectors/fuel rail/regulator.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 24 2016, 09:55 AM
Post #494

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Great progress!
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 1 2016, 04:10 PM
Post #495

Spooling.... Please wait

Final update for February.

Attached Image

Attached Image
Got my oil pump shaft back and installed it in the engine. The guys mentioned that it was extremely out of balance, makes me feel really good that I got it balanced (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image
Removed the axle flanges and installed the new 100mm axle flanges with new C clips and flange seals (Oh and old crank bolts worked really well to thread through the 108mm flanges to pry against the trans and work the flange out). I had to use a hammer and dowel to drive the flanges in place, but they are in now and seem to be OK. If something happens then oh well, luckily these are all readily available parts so no real worries.

Attached Image
Mounted the engine to the trans, I didnt have the upper dust cover so I just shimmed the engine to the trans with a washer and moved the oil pan accordingly (according to the manual) since the trans has 3 bolts on the bottom that go to the pan. Took 3 trips to Home depot to get some bolts... All grade 10.9 vs the stock 8.8 which is nice. All torqued to 45ft lbs on the motor and 35ftlbs on the trans.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 1 2016, 07:39 PM
Post #496

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Making great progress here!
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Mar 2 2016, 02:23 PM
Post #497

Member No.: 2,922

Looking Good!
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 8 2016, 03:24 PM
Post #498

Spooling.... Please wait

Test fit the engine with the trans/flanges so I could test fit other components for fitment.

Attached Image

Attached Image
Turbo outlet and DV pipe test fit. Great clearance (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image
2' of aluminum pipe will be great here. I'll weld in the blow throught MAF fitting on this pipe.

Attached Image
3" cone filter will work here for now. It will be located in the Pass fender after 3 month test period.

Attached Image
But the big news is the super locally available bus axles will work right now of the box (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I let the wheel hang and I still had ~1 1/2 total play in the axle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) So if I blow an axle I should be able to go to any NAPA and get a replacement.
Remember this is 100mm trans flange, Bus 100mm axles w/ stock 18 3/4" clip to clip length and renegade hybrids 100mm flange adapters on the stub axle to the stock 914 axle. This leaves me with two spare adapters (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
I can also help this with a grease fitting spacer or maybe my ABS rings that I am going to build later in the future.

Been buying misc bits and pieces I find I am needing. I should be 100% on fuel fittings and lines now. AN stuff is expensive especially when you have to deal with E85... I think I have ~ 400 just in fuel lines/filters/fittings..
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Mar 8 2016, 04:58 PM
Post #499

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125

Nice work. This thread is nearing the fun stage for us observing...where cool noises happen.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 8 2016, 05:02 PM
Post #500

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Great progress....looks good in there!
+Quote Post

44 Pages V « < 23 24 25 26 27 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 12:51 PM