Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

44 Pages V « < 26 27 28 29 30 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Andyrews Progress Thread, 1/16/22 A Trip to The Red Barn - Lets fab a Firewall!
Andyrew
post Apr 7 2016, 07:12 AM
Post #541

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Worked on a solution for the clutch and brake sensors. I think this one might work well after I revise it a hair.

Also got the new clutch master cylinder in, no leaks and its actually incredibly light. I might have the stock pressure plate in there right now so I will probably have to upgrade it before I turn the boost up. Well see.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Current issue is the black sensor is all the way maxed towards the pedal so I need to either weld something to the pedal to activate it or rebend the piece to mount it closer. I currently have it slipped under the pedal assembly and mounted that way. The other option is to only use the white sensor and link them together.

Note this is just the brake pedal sensors, Ill have to weld on another bracket to this for the clutch.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 11 2016, 01:36 PM
Post #542

Spooling.... Please wait

Had a couple of guys over Saturday to get as much done as possible. We were able to cross of a few things on the list.

Ran the radiator lines and tested for leaks. Leak found on one of my welds (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) , I'll need to pull the pipe now and touch up the weld.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Ran all the fuel lines and fuel filters, Still need to tighten the main feed line and run new lines tank side.
Attached Image

Pulled the CV joint, Tightened all the bolts, reinstalled both CV joints and tightened the stub bolt with an impact. I'll need to torque it down with my breaker bar when I get it on the ground.

Also started wiring the engine bay. Found a couple of plugs that are different than what I have so I'll need to determine what I want to do there. I have older sensors that have a different plug and I can splice them into the wire harness or just buy a new plug and splice that in. We'll see what I end up with.

Worked on the pedal cluster sensors a little bit, still a bit more work to do here but I'll get it situated.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Apr 11 2016, 04:14 PM
Post #543

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

I now know why you want this engine in your 914, after spending a weekend driving my wife EOS 2.0T, I would love to be running that engine in my 914. Revs, and just when you think it is out of power another surge kicks in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

And then today I go into work and see that one of my employees has just bought him self a Chilli Pepper GTS and I started to think, Engine from that, and transmission from his Cayman, and I would have a sweet 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I have to keep on my build, switching gears will make me never get it done.

Way to keep making progress on your Andrew, I know this will be a fun ride once done.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 1 2016, 09:25 AM
Post #544

Spooling.... Please wait

Well there had been a lack of progress for the last bit of this month (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

But all for a good reason. Jerika and I made a trip we are not likely to be able to replicate.

Welcome to our European adventure!

This has been a long time planning (2 years)
We started out in Italy visiting Rome, the Amalfie coast, Florance and the Tuscany region, and finally Venice. Proceeded into Germany and started in Munich and the lower Bavarian region visiting the castles, Stugart for the Porsche museum, Nurburg for the Nurburgring, and a trip to Cochem in the Mosel valley wine region. Finally we ended up in Paris France for the last bit of our trip.

The Porsche museum was very cool, lots of very interesting exibits and we could have spent hours listening to all the audio guided tours. They were featuring the "transaxle" era, which really meant the 924 through 968 lineup. They featured some concepts that they had not previously shown the public to my knowledge such as a targa 924 concept and a rear engine awd 944.

The Nurburgring was very fun experience. The town of Nurburg is a tiny tiny town with the Ring being the square of industry, however it was pretty much dead while we were there and I am thankful for that. It looked like the whole place was built to hold a couple hundred thousand people. During the day there were the Prototype race class cars doing test laps around the grand prix track.
I rented a Renault Clio RS200 track prepped car specifically for the ring through Rent Race Car. The morning was full of snow and clouds so the track was damp and a bit slippery but you can see a video of my 4th lap below, I took it pretty easy due to the wetness and I didnt want to loose my insane deposit. Absolutely loved the car, its basically a DSG version of my Fiesta ST and the DSG reminded me of the PDKs.

At 5:15 pm the "Tourist" track opened up and we were allowed on the track, reminded constantly that we were not "racing". That being said it was obvious most people were going 10/10ths, and there were quite a few drivers that were obviously proffesionals. In fact I saw a few of the camafloge wrapped cars being driven very impressively.

The track was extremely impressive, imagine a combination of say laguna seca, willow springs, infineon raceway and about 5 miles of super twisty mountain roads with huge elevation and traction differences. I would absolutely love to have that be my local track, anyone in anything is welcome between the hours of 5:15 and 7:15.

I have probably 2k pics at this time so Ill just load some collages my wife made (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

And finally a video as mentioned above of me driving the Nurburgring with Jerika.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6RJtwZqEmQ
+Quote Post
914forme
post May 1 2016, 11:40 AM
Post #545

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Screw 914 progress the Ring called!! You where being awfully nice to your rental. You do know borrowed cars are the fastest cars you can drive!!!

+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post May 1 2016, 12:03 PM
Post #546

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Looks like a fun trip! Glad you made it back OK. I haven't been there in 20 years and need to go back with my wife.

You only have 2 weeks to be ready for WCR. Better hurry!!!
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 1 2016, 12:40 PM
Post #547

Spooling.... Please wait

The video is a bit missleading, I was going a solid 85%, leaving 15% on the table for the fact that I really didnt want to spend 6900 euros if I wrecked it, and that it was still pretty wet out.

I also limited my speed to 100mph, as I found that to be a factor for major crashes in my hundreds of test laps on simulators and research. Even with all of that many corners suprized me, I am closer to knowing the track but no where close to knowing the correct line.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 1 2016, 01:20 PM
Post #548

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 1 2016, 11:03 AM) *

Looks like a fun trip! Glad you made it back OK. I haven't been there in 20 years and need to go back with my wife.

You only have 2 weeks to be ready for WCR. Better hurry!!!

Technically still in France... (We actually heard a french couple say Oh HoHo! today, Jerika said life goal achieved when we heard it)

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 13 2016, 07:34 PM
Post #549

Spooling.... Please wait

Been working on wiring the past week. I needed some different connectors on a couple of my sensors so I soldered the new connectors on.

Sadly it looks like I need to extend the harness a bit.
Attached Image

Luckily I have a spare harness to pull from.
Attached Image

Supplies came in as well to tackle this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Attached Image

Also got the shifter mounted (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) yes its crude. Its temporary until I get the center console built.
Attached Image

Video of action. Loving the location

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yz_uBNnIPE

Ill be getting some help this weekend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) anyone in the area is welcome to swing by!
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 13 2016, 09:11 PM
Post #550

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Nice progress there....

Sorry, I cannot make it, I am still in North Carolina....
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 15 2016, 03:03 PM
Post #551

Spooling.... Please wait

Had a bunch of help yesterday, especially from Mike Bellis!
Attached Image

He spent all day extending the wiring harness until exhaustion took over and I finished it up last night at 1am.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Im amazed at how much I learned just watching him..

Im going to see about finishing up taping and locating the dash harness tonight.

Also fixed the leaking coolant line and tested the system, everything seems to work great! But I still have to wire up the controller for the water pump. Ill do that after I mount the dash harness.

+Quote Post
dan10101
post May 15 2016, 06:41 PM
Post #552

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Looks Good! Thanks Mike for helping him out!

Darla isn't helping much though...
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 31 2016, 01:25 PM
Post #553

Spooling.... Please wait

Last update for the month.

WCR last weekend was a blast!! The rock solid Fiesta ST was a monster on the autox and just flew around the mountain roads!

But enough about that... Progress was slow due to WCR/Work/Home duties.

The goal for next month is to have the engine running and the car drive-able!
Be sure to stay tuned.

I was however able to put a couple hours in to do some wiring. Laid the harness out and routed the positive cable from the battery to the relay box. Ran a really nice 2ga wire with some lugs that I soldered. I've got 6 more lugs and another 15ft of cable so we'll see if I use it anywhere else! Not pictured is a 250amp fuse that just came in the mail last night that I'll mount to the center tunnel in line with the main power.

Not pictured is a solution for the wires coming through the body into the engine bay. Currently a square hole and the wires are protected by some coolant hose. I have the original harness loom ECU box that I have cut up and I think will work nicely after some fanangling. It's still going to take a bit to finish up...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 4 2016, 05:10 PM
Post #554

Spooling.... Please wait

Working mounting the wiring.

Also figured out the throttle stuff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image
Attached Image

Its actually pretty much in line with the OE throttle pedal. If I could find it I might even be able to use it..

Attached Image
Also started mounting the wiring. Got the main relay harness mounted, this is where the fat battery lead goes.

Attached Image
Also mounted the fuse box. I like it in this position. The panels will be easily removable so this can be accessible easily.

Im going to finish mounting the wiring tonight, hook up the ECU, put power to the system and see if I can connect to the ECU. I currently have a bunch of relays missing but thats just a pick n pull trip tomorrow morning if I cant get power to the ECU.

From there I will need to mount the dash cluster, mount a couple of my stanalone guages, wire up the water pump and boost controller, and wire up all the lighting.

I also dont know where the plugs are for the clutch/brake so I will have to research that. Its an automatic harness so I might need to do some wiring.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 4 2016, 05:12 PM
Post #555

Spooling.... Please wait

One last fun thing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jun 4 2016, 05:32 PM
Post #556

TORQUE-o-holic

The wiring looks really good! Not so sure about the gas pedal... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 4 2016, 05:57 PM
Post #557

Spooling.... Please wait

Gas pedal is mock up to help me determine position and length. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The shaft will have a welded piece of steel to form the pedal similar to the current layout and I will either bolt on an aftermarket pedal or just rubber coat the steel.
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jun 4 2016, 10:42 PM
Post #558

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 4 2016, 04:57 PM) *

Gas pedal is mock up to help me determine position and length. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The shaft will have a welded piece of steel to form the pedal similar to the current layout and I will either bolt on an aftermarket pedal or just rubber coat the steel.

Looking forward to seeing your work. You impress me with your ingenuity.

I have to weld up some recessed brackets for the 944 seats. It's going to get ugly. They sit to high unless I leave the sliders out. Still they are nice seats and I can fit my fat butt in them. Always a good thing. So no sliders or sliders, I'm keeping them.

Since I brought it up, here's the seat I'm using. http://www.jegs.com/i/Scat/942/80-1606-61L/10002/-1
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 4 2016, 10:52 PM
Post #559

Spooling.... Please wait

I've seen your welds, It'll be fine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Why not cut out your factory brackets and bolt the sliders to the floor? I welded on some stubs for my sliders for the drivers seat onto the floor and I really like how it turned out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (Pretty sure its the first page in this thread...)
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jun 4 2016, 11:02 PM
Post #560

TORQUE-o-holic

I may have to. But they are about an inch inside the factory mounts, I may be able to recess the mounts and keep the factory seat mount locations. I'm not opposed to cutting out the factory mounts but I want to try this first. I just need to get it done before the hill climb. I hope it cools down so I can get some work done.
+Quote Post

44 Pages V « < 26 27 28 29 30 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 07:16 AM