Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

44 Pages V « < 37 38 39 40 41 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Andyrews Progress Thread, 1/16/22 A Trip to The Red Barn - Lets fab a Firewall!
Andyrew
post Apr 28 2019, 02:23 AM
Post #761

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Lot of work recently for not a lot of progress.

Replaced the trans with the spare I bought.Clutch, flywheel and pressure plate look good. This involved removing the stub axles and swapping them over. Only to find out I didn't grind the hole large enough for the stub axles in the LSD.

So I test fit the system and I was only off a strong 1/8.

Grinding of the stub axles it was! This portion of the axle is only for a guide. I left a hair on there. Should work well. Flanges are back in normal position.

I had to swap shifts cables as I bent the end of one slightly and it wouldn't operate nicely. Fixed it on the bench when I was done swapping it. Adjusted the shift linkage mounts a bit and gave them s coat of silver (couldn't find black...)

I test everything by hand and notice the clutch is weak. Seems like some air got in the system somehow. Go to bleed and the reservor cap is missing. Ordered a new one.

I test the dash in the car and it seems like it grew some more. The foam stuff just isn't working so I'm scratching this dash. The steering column modifications require it anyways.

Sigh

I'm debating how to make the new dash. I think I'm going to template it out in steel rod, then fiberglass cloth over it or just use steel. It's a simple design but if I don't fiberglass immediately after trimming the foam it will expand and ruin the design. I'm thinking more and more I'll use some 22ga steel and some rod. I can work with it the easiest. It will add weight, but at this point I have very few choices that I'm comfortable with.

Also Danish oil looks decent. Going to keep adding coats and do some fine sanding..

I need this thing running by next week so I can spend some time troubleshooting it. And this dash needs to be done to a level that I at least have the guages mounted.

Too tired to load up pics. Here is the knob.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Apr 28 2019, 07:18 AM
Post #762

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

Andrew - if you haven't already, you may want to check with Tap Plastics to see if they have a foam that is more thermally/dimensionally stable. Or, consider starting with pre-made foam blocks. Google "modeling foam".
When I was doing this sort of thing for the carbon gas tank I made for my motorcycle, I used (please don't laugh) foam, bondo, Popsicle sticks and hot glue to make the plug. Whatever it took to get a stable (enough) substructure that supported being top coated so I could then get the final shape and finish I needed.
If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.

BTW, I just checked the dictionary for "custom fabrication". It's defined as "Lot of work for not a lot of progress." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

We are of a kind, your dad, you and me...

+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 28 2019, 07:56 AM
Post #763

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc stock the foam blocks that florist use. I hot glue them together and file or sand to shape. This type of styrofoam will not melt if you choose to use the styrene resin vs epoxy resin. If I need to make a small plug I will use modeling clay because foam can be a PITA to work with when going small. The downside is digging out the clay afterwards. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Apr 28 2019, 12:26 PM
Post #764

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

^^ Wrap the foam in foil/tape and the resin won't matter.
You can also use sheet foam (couch cushions), glue in layers, and shape it with a carving knife. Coat in house paint & you have a decent base for fiberglass.

I'd fab a simple metal frame for the gauges and cover with a dash mat. Make it pretty after WCR....
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 28 2019, 02:02 PM
Post #765

Spooling.... Please wait

Thanks all for the advice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Got some steel strips and rods from the hardware store. I'm going to mock it up today and start going at it. I can get everything in place in steel much faster than fiberglass/foam since that's where my skills are at.

First thing will be a casing for the guage cluster for it to lie in. I have that 75% done. Pictures when I come back from lunch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 28 2019, 10:39 PM
Post #766

Spooling.... Please wait

Guage cluster holder turned out nice. Bent it by hand, welded some tabs tacked it in place and removed the metal dash.
Attached Image
Wire framed the layout that I like. Added some supports and am mocking up placement of guages.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Nothing is set in stone. Thoughts on layout? The round one is AFR, small rectangle is boost, and large rectangle on the bottom is intercooler. I have another for water pump I am debating putting behind a door as I don't really need to watch it.

Kind of hard to tell from the pics but I intend to do the say beauty overhang on as on the fiberglass piece. Should help with sun shading as well as the overall look.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 30 2019, 01:32 PM
Post #767

Spooling.... Please wait

As part of the interior redo I decided my "WINK" mirror was a bit out of place and went for a BMW unit. 20 mins of modifications and it fits great.
Attached Image

Mounted 3 guages last night. Focused on placement and LCD location (all three are red).

Attached Image
I've determined the best course for building this dash is to have the upper top removable for wiring and easy removal and then the front panel to be welded. Not 100% on that but it's what's in my head right now.

Attached Image

Next step is the backing for the front. I'd like about a1-2" lip.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Apr 30 2019, 04:01 PM
Post #768

914 Guru

Fab-ulous! I really enjoy watching you come up with ways of getting the results you want. Seems like we're in that same boat of "hmmm, I think I need to try that again!"
Looks really nice - keep up the great work and we'll see you on the 18th.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 30 2019, 06:01 PM
Post #769

I'm running the modified BMW mirror that lets me use the 914 visors. Same length as yours. It gave me a better field of view than the stock 914 mirror but I'm long waisted! See you at WCR.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 30 2019, 11:08 PM
Post #770

Spooling.... Please wait

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

And my next challenge is moving the air box I made back a couple inches.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 3 2019, 09:18 PM
Post #771

Spooling.... Please wait

I opened up the firewall a bit more on the bottom and removed the old mounting system I built for the ac/heater box. I built a cage for the box just like I did for the guage cluster but I haven't mounted it. I'll work on that later, I just wanted to make sure I could get it all to work at a later date.
Attached Image
Attached Image

I designed a layout for how the dash pieces will work and it's very similar to the original dash. I'm making everything out of steel as I can work with it much easier.
Attached Image

I mounted up the ignition switch and decided to put it on the left side just for fun.

Attached Image
Working on the dash face I started with thin guage steel but thought against it and decided to go with thick guage steel to build a strong base for the dash. I'll go to thinner guage for the dash top and bottom.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 4 2019, 02:15 AM
Post #772

Spooling.... Please wait

And from the last photo to here was 4 hrs of fiddling....
Attached Image
Attached Image
Figured out how I was going to be able to remove the intercooler fan controller

Adjust fit some items, lots of metal needed some massaging over the knee to get lined up like I wanted.

Cut in the hole for the AFR guage, and did a silly amount of trimming on the dash to get everything how I wanted. Also had to redo the mount. Dumb me thinks I can weld aluminum with steel....

Little things take a lot more time when a toddler is asleep....

Oh and in case your wondering... The holes on the bottom of the intercooler fan controller are for adjusting the temp the fan goes in. I wanted to be able to adjust it but knew I would rarely do so, so I added a small hole to be able to do so. I'll transfer the holes to the fabric when time comes.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post May 4 2019, 02:28 AM
Post #773

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

grinding noise was a lullaby for me.....dads home..

nice dash (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 4 2019, 07:16 AM
Post #774

914 Guru

Andrew - Don't mean to hijack but:
If you'd like, bring the dash with you on the 18th and we (you!) can maybe give a go to measuring it out. We could translate that into a .dxf and we could cut you a face plate on the plasma table. I have some .050 aluminum and some 18 and 20 ga steel. Add some beading or a strategically placed break for some add'l strength?

I'd be happy to walk you through the process so you'd be making it.

Here's an example of some panels I did for the Lotus 7 replica.

Just a thought... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 4 2019, 02:08 PM
Post #775

Spooling.... Please wait

I'll take you up on that offer for the center console Chris. The dash is pretty much doneand I don't need any additional features to it for my design concept.

The center console on the other hand could definitely use some design characteristics as right now it'll just be flat panels.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 4 2019, 11:05 PM
Post #776

Spooling.... Please wait

Progress on the dash.

Drilled the cutout for the ignition.
Attached Image

Dropped the relay box as the dash was resting on it.
Attached Image

Added the rest of the dash face.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Figured out wire arrangements a bit and so far am pretty happy how things are laying out.

Next on the list is getting back to mechanical. I'll need to bleed the clutch to see if I just accidentally got air in the lines or why my clutch is to the floor.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 5 2019, 07:08 AM
Post #777

914 Guru

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Isn't it "fun" as you try and bring to life the vision in your head?
It's so interesting for me to watch someone else go through this. Seeing the "first I tried X, then realized Y so redid things because of Z."

You're making great progress.

I may have missed it but are you planning to paint or upholster the dash face?
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 5 2019, 09:53 AM
Post #778

Spooling.... Please wait

Chris, these kind of moments when things work are what makes it all worthwhile.

For the dash face, when I learned that 914rubber had built a hot press that they used with vinyl for recreating the 914 basketweve I asked if they could press some fabric of mine. Some money exchanged hands (wasn't cheep) and I got my hands on enough material in my color to do the dash face and door panels.

I always wanted brown leather interior on a car so here we are... A couple posts up I updated my drawing of my dash concept. The brown is this material.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 5 2019, 10:16 AM
Post #779

914 Guru

I dub thee: "Factory over covered Custom"

Awesome! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 5 2019, 05:04 PM
Post #780

If you were going to leave it as is I would have dubbed thee "Mad Max". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

44 Pages V « < 37 38 39 40 41 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 03:13 AM