Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

44 Pages V « < 40 41 42 43 44 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Andyrews Progress Thread, 1/16/22 A Trip to The Red Barn - Lets fab a Firewall!
76-914
post May 23 2019, 08:23 AM
Post #821

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 22 2019, 11:39 PM) *

I can hear some air by the master so who knows.... the whole thing is not well layed out for a good bleeding. Really needs a power bleeder and not s vacuum bleeder.

Ugh.

My reservoir is the highest point I'm my system. The lowest is where it exits the tunnel via the clutch tube. From there it is strapped up against the engine/trans, then level about 1' then up to the slave. In order to bleed the system I remove the strap at the engine/trans creating a temporary "new" low spot. Next I break the flare nut loose at the slave cylinder and wait to let gravity do it's job. The next morning I top off the reservoir then pump clutch and bleed the remainder of the air and clamp. Finally the tube is strapped back to the engine/trans.
I didn't plan or foresee this method. I just got lucky. There aren't any "peaks and valleys" in the line. It flows downhill from reservoir to MC to the low spot I "create" by removing a strap. And that low point is only 2' from and directly below the SC.
I'd say stay after it but I don't believe you need any encouragement at this point. See you at WCR.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dan10101
post May 23 2019, 08:29 AM
Post #822

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Tried the metal slave cyl. The quality on the unit looks great. But the damn bleed screw is metal on metal.... What idiot thought that would work? Won't hold pressure, bleed screw was cast so I cleaned up the castings and still no go. Damn thing needs a rubber seal. I might experiment with one sometime later but I have a spare plastic slave.

First things first was to try and get fluid to pull through the line... No luck. I'm going to need someone else to help me with this as this fkin thing is not working. I messaged a friend so hopefully tomorrow or Friday I'll have the clutch properly bled.

Send me a pict of your slave, I have a spare, it's a pull type.

I'll bring my Mityvac pressure bleeder down JIC. I just need to see your reservoir cap.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 23 2019, 08:36 AM
Post #823

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(dan10101 @ May 23 2019, 07:29 AM) *

Tried the metal slave cyl. The quality on the unit looks great. But the damn bleed screw is metal on metal.... What idiot thought that would work? Won't hold pressure, bleed screw was cast so I cleaned up the castings and still no go. Damn thing needs a rubber seal. I might experiment with one sometime later but I have a spare plastic slave.

First things first was to try and get fluid to pull through the line... No luck. I'm going to need someone else to help me with this as this fkin thing is not working. I messaged a friend so hopefully tomorrow or Friday I'll have the clutch properly bled.

Send me a pict of your slave, I have a spare, it's a pull type.

I'll bring my Mityvac pressure bleeder down JIC. I just need to see your reservoir cap.

Its tiny. Think motorcycle. Like 1.5" I was thinking I would get a spare cap, drill a hole in it and put a nipple on it so I can pressurize it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Audi-Porsche-B...7M/152549321531
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 23 2019, 08:38 AM
Post #824

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 23 2019, 07:23 AM) *

I can hear some air by the master so who knows.... the whole thing is not well layed out for a good bleeding. Really needs a power bleeder and not s vacuum bleeder.

Ugh.

My reservoir is the highest point I'm my system. The lowest is where it exits the tunnel via the clutch tube. From there it is strapped up against the engine/trans, then level about 1' then up to the slave. In order to bleed the system I remove the strap at the engine/trans creating a temporary "new" low spot. Next I break the flare nut loose at the slave cylinder and wait to let gravity do it's job. The next morning I top off the reservoir then pump clutch and bleed the remainder of the air and clamp. Finally the tube is strapped back to the engine/trans.
I didn't plan or foresee this method. I just got lucky. There aren't any "peaks and valleys" in the line. It flows downhill from reservoir to MC to the low spot I "create" by removing a strap. And that low point is only 2' from and directly below the SC.
I'd say stay after it but I don't believe you need any encouragement at this point. See you at WCR.

I've got a decent amount of loops in the line and I tried that last night essentially. We will see what actually happened.

I really think pressure is required from the reservoir side.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 23 2019, 08:39 AM
Post #825

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 23 2019, 06:18 AM) *

Andrew - Great meeting you at Chris' shop last weekend. I hope to see your car one of these times. It sounds amazing. Cheers, Michael

You to Michael! It was fun chatting with you and your brother (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 23 2019, 08:42 AM
Post #826

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 23 2019, 06:26 AM) *

@Andyrew - Let's pick a date that works to have you come over and do more fab work.
Also, let me know if you want me to send the panel you left here or if you're OK waiting til you're here next.
Talk soon!
Chris

Agreed. I've been debating back and forth about what makes sense for me, to try and make another day up there or to just push forward myself here and have you ship it... I need another bend in it which is why it was on the brake, but I was trying to figure out the measurement and how to use your machine.

It really makes a lot of sense for me to come up there again with the car. I could get the center console done as well as the lower and possibly the upper dash pretty much in a day. (You know my quality standards so I would just bust through those things now that im familiar with many of your tools a bit more)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 25 2019, 02:39 AM
Post #827

Spooling.... Please wait

Ok some progress.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Wastegate came in. I took out a spring so it's 7psi now. It's a bit bigger so fitting it will be difficult. We'll have to work on that after WCR. Too bad, I was hoping to pump it up to 400whp when my dad came down so we could have some nice roll racing.

Another note. My tuner said he's going to tune another ECU of mine, I bought a tuner cable for dirt and I'll be able to tune like he does. He's a nice guy and has shown me a bunch. He'll be down tomorrow to set me up. We'll work on it a bit and do some remote tuning and editing. I told him I want an E85 file and I'll just get set up with whatever files I want and I can swap them whenever at a gas station or swap ecu's if something happens. Anyways I'm pretty excited about that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I removed the brake master and got the lines really flat. I removed the slave and left the line open to the vacuum. It still didn't pull anything so I suspect there was just to much air with me fiddling with it. I decided to cycle the master a bit and finally was getting somewhere. I kept cycling it and it seemed to just pull fluid from the reservor and push it out the line. I did this till the line seemed clear. Then connected the slave and installed it.
Attached Image
Side note I extended the rod for the slave a bit more than I had previously. Which required me to weld on an extension instead of just using some tiny nuts in the end caps. Added another 1/4". This means that I should have more total travel with my pressure plate. If it's too much and I get slipping I'll cut it down a hair.

Back to bleeding. Im going to do some more hand bleeding and then I'll be getting a friend, installing the master and trying it some more.

I can't get any more out of the pedal unless I redesign it and then it would only be an extra 1/8* of travel. So I don't think that's enough to worry about.

If this doesn't work then it's a new clutch/pressure plate. I have a couple available.

Attached Image
Back to actual progress... I started working on the center console. Biggest problem is I have all the wiring in the car and the new seats all mounted. So I needed to be very careful when handling the steel and any welding. But I got the center cage done. Dimensions based on my steel pieces. I also trimmed them a bit to fit, but more trimming will be necessary when I add carpet and such.. I'll have to redesign the top pieces or at least the back and I'm still figuring out the seam between the two as I'm debating on black sides and brown accent top. Still up in the air.

PS Chris I was trying to get the girls to go to 6 flags one of these days and I would just drop them off but that's looking like a no...
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 25 2019, 06:26 AM
Post #828

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

Andrew - On planning some more time back at my shop, just give me a bit of a heads up and I can make most any date/time work.
Chris
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 26 2019, 02:20 AM
Post #829

Spooling.... Please wait

More progress on the center console... My friend to help me bleed the clutch and my tuner we're a no show. Probably do family things tomorrow and Monday but we'll see. I really need to get the clutch dialed in by Tuesday or know if I need a replacement.

Attached Image
Finished the mounting of the center console base then trimmed the sides to fit.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Then I worked on the top portion and got it squared away and fitting decent.

This was most of my day. Not a lot but the rear section is done as far as the sheet metal is concerned. I will probably drive it to WCR this way.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Frony/middle section with the shifter is difficult due to the curve in the top/base. After a couple tries I got the piece bent that I have and it looks good. I did the lower easy mounts but need to work on the upper mounts. Then I'll need the other side from Chris as well as to do the top portion.

Excited on the progress (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 26 2019, 07:25 AM
Post #830

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Hi Andrew,
I look forward to seeing your car at WCR. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Michael
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 26 2019, 07:29 AM
Post #831

914 Guru

Full custom fabrication! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 27 2019, 01:20 AM
Post #832

Spooling.... Please wait

Alina hadn't had her nap and it was almost 3pm. So we decided to go drive. Her naps are about 2 hours... So where do we drive? Petaluma to grab the piece I left at Chris's. Thanks Chris for letting me swing by on such short notice!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Alina went to sleep almost immediately in the car...

Had a nice dinner at a local Petaluma restaurant that had a great playground and had some nice BBQ.

Got home and couldn't resist myself I wanted to see where we were with fitment of the panel.

I knew this one would take some more work... We'll like the other one I needed to bend it and since I don't have nice press brakes I make do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Couple go around to get this one right. But happy with it. I need to work on mounting it and the other side. But I pulled them together loosly and checked out the top.

Attached Image
Some measurements and I'll need to make a new piece for the top I think. I'll cut out the shifter hole and see what I think. I also need to figure out how to mount this one. Outside the box thinking might be necessary.
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post May 27 2019, 02:27 AM
Post #833

Team Sharp where the 914 grow wings

Member No.: 19,611
Region Association: South East States

Andrew, you and I have been thinking outside the box so long that I forgot where I put that fucking box. Now I just toss the piescs at the car and some how they seem to guide me to the solution. I believe that is form fallowing function.
Man I want a bead roller.
+Quote Post
dan10101
post May 27 2019, 08:49 AM
Post #834

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

A man on a mission!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 28 2019, 01:48 PM
Post #835

Spooling.... Please wait

Received my tow bar from @914werks. Nice looking product! Very heavy duty.

Attached Image
Not designed for a 916 bumper so I'll just trim my bumper to fit as its probably going to be changed at some point.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Mounting of the actual pieces. Some shims needed to be made to fit it right. But 4 bolts holding each piece firm.

Attached Image
Construction paper to the rescue for the new shifter plate.

Attached Image
And new shifter plate in place, not mounted.

I've determined im going to build a removable upper cage to hold the plate in place, Should be pretty simple to build, probably a couple hours.

+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 28 2019, 03:39 PM
Post #836

914 Guru

That there is some real progress! WCR, here it comes! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 1 2019, 07:34 PM
Post #837

Spooling.... Please wait

The 914 and 951 have a different stablemate for the week (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Stay tuned for fun progress. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 3 2019, 12:01 AM
Post #838

Spooling.... Please wait

Dad and I redid the clutch reservoir and used a spare of his mounted next to the brake. This gave us an easier bleed and we could pressurize it with his system. Not that it helped. It was still a very difficult bleed.

We're going to try bleeding it again. Still difficult to get into first. But it does shift.

Attached Image

Changed front shocks to Koni Yellows
Attached Image

Changed the valve cover gasket. Hopefully this fixes the leak.
Attached Image

Spent a lot of time on the center console. You can see the shifter solution I made. Really happy with it.
Attached Image

And the big question is black or brown
Attached Image
Attached Image

I'm leaning towards brown. But not sure. I'll powder coat the screws whatever color I need them. Shifter trim will stay black for contrast and the foam arm rest needs to be done still.

Also my tuner came by and set me up with the ability to change my tune myself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

My wife and I went for a quick drive. She liked it, but the clutch still needs work. LSD is working well though, put down good power in first!

+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jun 3 2019, 06:50 AM
Post #839

914 Guru

Andrew - Looking good! Also good to hear you're making progress on the drive-ability items.
On the console, it's totally a personal taste thing but the brown will likely make the beading detail more noticeable, which I happen to like!
Hi to your dad for me.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 3 2019, 07:26 AM
Post #840

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

I like the idea of the contrast with the brown. If you cover the console in black it might get kind of lost in all the black. It's nice piece and the brown will look nice. Love the seats BTW. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

44 Pages V « < 40 41 42 43 44 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:38 PM