Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT:Need a new roof on my house, recommendation.., to replace my wood shingles???
Rog914
post Apr 28 2004, 09:13 PM
Post #21

914 Fanatic

Group: Members
Member No.: 93

There's so many different type metal roofs available today. They have Stone coated shingle metal, Terra-cotta look metal, Wood shake look metal and on and on, in varies price ranges. DO the research. Don't be like a lot of people who go for 30 year asphalt. Then when your retired on a buget 30 years from now and the big expensive roof has to go on. Think about what a roof cost to put on 30 years ago compared to now. Then what the cost is going to be 30 years from now.

I know asphalt shingles will most likely be the cheapest way to go. But just like your 914. Do you put the cheapest parts you can find? Or do you try to find the parts that are worth the extra money.

Just giving you something to think about.

Ralph

74 2.0
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Apr 28 2004, 09:13 PM
Post #22

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Metal roofing is LOUD inside the house, you can hear the rain drops pound against it.
Comp is nice, cheap and takes a beating.(use the coiled nails not the staples)
Concrete tile is great but the roofing structure needs to be able to hold the extra weight.

Cedar sucks...

Hire a good contractor who will be the tearoff and resheet the roof with plywood if you have skip sheathing.
Make sure you have enough venting too.

Geoff
(nearly 30yrs in const)
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Apr 28 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #23

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

I have to replace my shingles here some time soon, not too worried about any noise. I have R52 in the attic. It could hail on a metal roof and I wouldn't hear anything. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
wheelo
post Apr 29 2004, 01:29 AM
Post #24

Dude

Member No.: 1,818

Gwn7 - Thanks for the links, I have a wood shingle
(very popular in Calif. ) roof that I am thinking of replacing. You got me looking in a different direction than composits. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
No snow here, but gets hot, and windy.
Peace
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Apr 29 2004, 05:36 AM
Post #25

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

geoff nailed it. hehe. wait until you get the bid for the tear off and the plywood to replace the skip sheathing. you're going to crap your pants. comps are fine, there are LOTS of options with regards to appearance and a 30 yr shingle will last as long as you will probably live in your house. hopefully there are no ccr's dictating what you can do to your house.

kevin
+Quote Post
seanery
post Apr 29 2004, 06:58 AM
Post #26

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

I've been told by folks with newer metal roofs that they ARE NOT loud. What gives?
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Apr 29 2004, 08:08 AM
Post #27

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

The newer metal roofs are made out of heavier gauge material. Sometimes they put Styrofoam underneath it when retrofitting (adds R value and keeps the heat off the understructure).
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 29 2004, 11:10 AM
Post #28

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

My shop is all steel, bit noisy (not much) outside, but I can't hear it inside.
When I hear people say they're loud, on a properly insulated house, I say (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)
+Quote Post
dgw
post Apr 29 2004, 10:55 PM
Post #29

Dennis Winter

Member No.: 106
Region Association: Northern California

We replaced wood shingles with asphalt. We were very serious at one point going with the cement "looks like wood" shingles, but:

1-they cost about 4 times as much
2-they are a LOT heaver. You need to know if the house can support them.

What we got is 40 year class A fire rated. I don't know if either of these is good or not, but it beats the hell out of wood. Where I live, we used to sweat bullets in the late summer when the wind came up. Images of the Oakland fire flashed through our minds. On the other hand, if that happened, our roof could be made of gasoline and the result would probably be the same.

One other thing, get yourself a strong magnet. You have never seen so many nails. Even though they clean up the site, they don't.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Apr 30 2004, 12:22 AM
Post #30

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Mike, I had my roof done 1.5 years ago with the standard 30 year architectural composite shingles by these guys:

http://www.crownridgeroofing.com/

They did a great job IMO, and the bid seemed very reasonable.

That said, I think I'd do it myself if I had the time and was doing it again. Why, you ask? Because after I saw them do it I thought, shit, I could have done that. Like you, I thought I could have never bought all that stuff at home depot and brought it up to the roof on a ladder. I was even unemployed at the time!

Here's how they made it easy:

They hired a tear off subcontractor. A dump truck with seven guys and shovels showed up and the old roof was gone and hauled away in less than 2 hours.

They rolled out the tar paper in about 30 minutes.

Then, the roofing supply company truck with elevated conveyor belt shows up. All the materials were delivered to the top of the roof. Very little lifting!

One guy pounded nails for 1.5 days. Another guy helped a little and was only around for maybe a half a day. The whole job took two days.

They also hired a gutter subcontractor.

I priced the materials at home depot and based on what I think they paid for the tear-off I'm guessing that they made about $3K for their two days of labor. Not bad money!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 07:09 AM