Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coming to the U.S., Suggestions on how to get maximun 914 content
phillstek
post Mar 1 2011, 01:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,741
Region Association: None

So my brother and I are planning a trip to the U.S. at the end of March but probably early-mid April. We are buying machinery, A/T tires and some other stuff to load into a container to ship from Long Beach.

I'm also hoping to buy some spares for my car and perhaps a complete car or a roller depending on what was available.

I could fly into S.F and depart from L.A. or just in/out of L.A. I plan on being in the States for 2-3 weeks and I would really like to see as much 914 and general air cooled Porsche stuff as possible.

I'm interested in museums, swap meets, race meets, salvage yards, meeting some of you guys... anything 914 related would be considered.

I'd welcome any suggestions or advice.

Thanks,

Phil

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 1 2011, 06:38 AM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Hershey swap meet. April 24th - http://www.cpa-pca.org/swap/

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Mar 1 2011, 07:37 AM
Post #3

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 1 2011, 06:38 AM) *

Hershey swap meet. April 24th - http://www.cpa-pca.org/swap/

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
AZ914
post Mar 1 2011, 08:02 AM
Post #4

914 Dumbass

Member No.: 98
Region Association: Southwest Region

If you make it by April 1st, hit the Route 66 drive! Its pretty close to LA and will be heavy in 914-content!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=114835
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 1 2011, 10:41 AM
Post #5

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(AZ914 @ Mar 1 2011, 08:02 AM) *

If you make it by April 1st, hit the Route 66 drive! Its pretty close to LA and will be heavy in 914-content!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=114835

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 1 2011, 11:21 AM
Post #6

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

No "official word" yet from Slits & Co., but the twice a year G&R Rancid Flesh Roast & Rusty 914 Parts Swap Meet is usually sometime in April in Riverside - not far from LA. You can search for pix & posts of the last few on here to see what they're like, but keep an eye out for the topic post from Slits over the next few weeks.

There's also some local USA Super & Club Rugby, if you get homesick! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

BTW - as far as costs to hire (rent) a car while here: you'll pay far less flying in & out of the same airport & returning the car where you rent it, as opposed to renting at your arrival airport & returning it at your departure airport (aside from airfare costs if any).

Otherwise - if you do come into SF & leave from LAX, then just split it into 2-3 rentals, keeping the one-way rental part to the minimum to drive between cities (1 day as it's only 450+/- miles SF-LA), then do longer rental(s) returning to the same rental location for as long as you need a car in SF &/or LA areas for your business. One-way rentals can be 2-3x + daily rate over returning to the same place as rented, plus some charge "return fees" of $80-100+ for one-ways on top of the daily rates.

Cheers Mate! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Mar 1 2011, 02:52 PM
Post #7

Lack of consideration to others, and Selfish!

Member No.: 3,016
Region Association: Central California

I haven't been there in years but you could try this;

April 17 - Pomona, CA

George Cross & Sons, presents The West Coast's Largest Antique Auto, Corvette, Porsche, Street Rod and Volkswagen Swap Meet and Classic Car Show - The Pomona Swap Meet. Held at Fairplex, Pomona. Hours: 5AM to 2PM. Over 15 miles of cars and parts for sale. Contact: (714) 538-7091 or pomonaswapmeet.com

If you like cars in general try this;

So Cal Car Culture - Hot Rods, Classic Cars and misc.

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 1 2011, 07:55 PM
Post #8

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

If you like 914s and will be in or near the SF Bay Area, you absolutely owe it to yourself to stop in to High Performance House in Redwood City CA. Open normal business days, plus some Saturdays. He's got more 914 stuff than anyone I know of; one person I know who visited both Rich and George at AA said that Rich actually had more.

Nor Cal is PCA Zone 7. http://www.pca.org/Regions/RegionDirectory.aspx?Zone=7
So Cal is PCA Zone 8. http://www.pca.org/Regions/RegionDirectory.aspx?Zone=8

--DD
+Quote Post
phillstek
post Mar 1 2011, 08:22 PM
Post #9

Thanks for the suggestions so far, they are exactly what I was hoping for.

Shoe, I was hoping to find some time to come to Memphis, so we can discuss the finer points of your post to me in the ELGB thread! (joking)(IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)

Tom, Thanks for the car rental info, very helpful. I'll keep all of that in mind and will probably in/out of LA.

Route 66 and Pomona sounds like fun and do-able.

What about auto museums and collections? Any ideas on those?

Thanks again.

Phil
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Mar 1 2011, 10:40 PM
Post #10

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

Are you wanting to stick to the left coast? How far away from LAX are you planning on wandering? Last year I went out to PA to hang out with Dr Evil and he took me to the antique auto museum in Hershey. (It's a few miles from the hershey swap meet already mentioned in the thread)

There is also the auto museum in Southern Colorado. There are quite a few 914 owners in the Denver area that like to get together and hang out whenever they can find an excuse to BBQ and drink beer. All of the ones I've met are alright and fun to visit with.

Renegade Hybrids in Vegas, since you'll be right by sin city for Rt 66. If you go to Vegas there's the old downtown area that has the video screens over the street and they play music and everyone looks up and watches the HUGE display.
+Quote Post
auerbach
post Mar 2 2011, 01:17 AM
Post #11

Lee David Auerbach, Esq

Member No.: 7,947

If you're coming to the east coast, drop me a line. Hershey is a must.
+Quote Post
phillstek
post Mar 2 2011, 03:21 AM
Post #12

Thanks to all so far for the tips.

Here's the thing, I originally planned to fly up to Portland after arriving in SF. I'd made an offer to buy the white 3.2 that Craig at Camp 914 has atm, then drive down 101 all the way to LA.

Sadly, the vendor decided not to sell his beautiful car (can't blame him really, neither would I if owned it). So the roadtrip down 101 ain't happening.

I've since been in contact with someone on other side of the country and depending on the negotation, I may end up going there to finalize a deal. I would definitely include the Hershey meet then and it would be further inspiration to make the effort to go east.

If that car doesn't eventuate, then I wll stay around the western states. If I can't find a car there that suits me, I will be looking for a 3.0-3.2 engine, a transmission with LSD, some rims, those seats that Craig sells, Mikey's rubbers, a clean roller etc etc.

I really appreciate the help on this, thanks again and please keep those suggestions coming.

Phil

p.s. If I knew how to do the "quote" thing I would address each suggestion individually, but thanks to everyone.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 2 2011, 03:50 AM
Post #13

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 1 2011, 10:55 PM) *

If you like 914s and will be in or near the SF Bay Area, you absolutely owe it to yourself to stop in to High Performance House in Redwood City CA. Open normal business days, plus some Saturdays. He's got more 914 stuff than anyone I know of; one person I know who visited both Rich and George at AA said that Rich actually had more.

Nor Cal is PCA Zone 7. http://www.pca.org/Regions/RegionDirectory.aspx?Zone=7
So Cal is PCA Zone 8. http://www.pca.org/Regions/RegionDirectory.aspx?Zone=8

--DD

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) You have to see Rich Bontempi at HPH.
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Mar 2 2011, 05:42 AM
Post #14

on ramp passer

QUOTE(phillstek @ Mar 1 2011, 08:22 PM) *

Thanks for the suggestions so far, they are exactly what I was hoping for.

Shoe, I was hoping to find some time to come to Memphis, so we can discuss the finer points of your post to me in the ELGB thread! (joking)(IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)

Tom, Thanks for the car rental info, very helpful. I'll keep all of that in mind and will probably in/out of LA.

Route 66 and Pomona sounds like fun and do-able.

Thanks again.

Phil

You have to come to Hershey as that is where I will be. If you do show up at Hershey I will buy you dinner. Not to mention, there will be tons of awesome Porsches to see and lots of good bargins on parts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Mar 2 2011, 05:48 AM
Post #15

on ramp passer

QUOTE(phillstek @ Mar 2 2011, 03:21 AM) *

Here's the thing, I originally planned to fly up to Portland after arriving in SF. I'd made an offer to buy the white 3.2 that Craig at Camp 914 has atm, then drive down 101 all the way to LA.

Sadly, the vendor decided not to sell his beautiful car (can't blame him really, neither would I if owned it). So the roadtrip down 101 ain't happening.

I've since been in contact with someone on other side of the country and depending on the negotation, I may end up going there to finalize a deal. I would definitely include the Hershey meet then and it would be further inspiration to make the effort to go east.

If that car doesn't eventuate, then I wll stay around the western states. If I can't find a car there that suits me, I will be looking for a 3.0-3.2 engine, a transmission with LSD, some rims, those seats that Craig sells, Mikey's rubbers, a clean roller etc etc.

I really appreciate the help on this, thanks again and please keep those suggestions coming.

Phil

p.s. If I knew how to do the "quote" thing I would address each suggestion individually, but thanks to everyone.

Just click reply at the bottom of their post beside the quote box. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
pt_700
post Mar 2 2011, 11:21 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 11,430

another suggestion for the s.f. bay area would be easy (european auto salvage yard) in emeryville, near oakland. got my sideshift conversion stuff there.

http://www.easypor.com/

there's also a cool auto museum in danville, about 45 min. east of s.f. called the blackhawk. not specifically porshce but, a lot of cool cars nonetheless.

http://www.blackhawkmuseum.org/

like old wartime stuff? it's ok to appreciate the machinery, even if one abhors what it's used for. might visit the hornet aircraft carrier in alameda, next to oakland.

http://www.uss-hornet.org/

cool train museum in sacramento.

http://www.csrmf.org/

sorry, getting a little off topic but, i think most of us on the forum are just gearheads at heart.

one more, on topic again. you might have seen on this forum but, there will be porsches in fontana in early april if you're still around.

http://www.yelp.com/events/fontana-9th-cal...che-track-event
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Mar 2 2011, 11:28 AM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623

Isn't the McMark/Cone runner over Swap meet about that time? Napa is close to SF, and worth seeing.
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Mar 2 2011, 11:42 AM
Post #18

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

Highlight the statement you want to reply to, click on 'fast reply' and a box shows up underneath that says "Add selected text as quote". When you click on it, it shows up looking like this when you post.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 2 2011, 12:54 PM
Post #19

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Hershey! I'll be there.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Mar 2 2011, 01:02 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(phillstek @ Mar 2 2011, 01:21 AM) *

Phil

This one is still available if you're still interested in something with a 3.2. You can check it out in the classified section.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 09:33 AM