Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coming to the U.S.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
phillstek
So my brother and I are planning a trip to the U.S. at the end of March but probably early-mid April. We are buying machinery, A/T tires and some other stuff to load into a container to ship from Long Beach.

I'm also hoping to buy some spares for my car and perhaps a complete car or a roller depending on what was available.

I could fly into S.F and depart from L.A. or just in/out of L.A. I plan on being in the States for 2-3 weeks and I would really like to see as much 914 and general air cooled Porsche stuff as possible.

I'm interested in museums, swap meets, race meets, salvage yards, meeting some of you guys... anything 914 related would be considered.

I'd welcome any suggestions or advice.

Thanks,

Phil

mepstein
Hershey swap meet. April 24th - http://www.cpa-pca.org/swap/

hot_shoe914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 1 2011, 06:38 AM) *

Hershey swap meet. April 24th - http://www.cpa-pca.org/swap/

agree.gif
AZ914
If you make it by April 1st, hit the Route 66 drive! Its pretty close to LA and will be heavy in 914-content!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=114835
rick 918-S
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Mar 1 2011, 08:02 AM) *

If you make it by April 1st, hit the Route 66 drive! Its pretty close to LA and will be heavy in 914-content!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=114835

agree.gif
Tom_T
No "official word" yet from Slits & Co., but the twice a year G&R Rancid Flesh Roast & Rusty 914 Parts Swap Meet is usually sometime in April in Riverside - not far from LA. You can search for pix & posts of the last few on here to see what they're like, but keep an eye out for the topic post from Slits over the next few weeks.

There's also some local USA Super & Club Rugby, if you get homesick! biggrin.gif

BTW - as far as costs to hire (rent) a car while here: you'll pay far less flying in & out of the same airport & returning the car where you rent it, as opposed to renting at your arrival airport & returning it at your departure airport (aside from airfare costs if any).

Otherwise - if you do come into SF & leave from LAX, then just split it into 2-3 rentals, keeping the one-way rental part to the minimum to drive between cities (1 day as it's only 450+/- miles SF-LA), then do longer rental(s) returning to the same rental location for as long as you need a car in SF &/or LA areas for your business. One-way rentals can be 2-3x + daily rate over returning to the same place as rented, plus some charge "return fees" of $80-100+ for one-ways on top of the daily rates.

Cheers Mate! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
montoya 73 2.0
I haven't been there in years but you could try this;

April 17 - Pomona, CA

George Cross & Sons, presents The West Coast's Largest Antique Auto, Corvette, Porsche, Street Rod and Volkswagen Swap Meet and Classic Car Show - The Pomona Swap Meet. Held at Fairplex, Pomona. Hours: 5AM to 2PM. Over 15 miles of cars and parts for sale. Contact: (714) 538-7091 or pomonaswapmeet.com

If you like cars in general try this;

So Cal Car Culture - Hot Rods, Classic Cars and misc.

Dave_Darling
If you like 914s and will be in or near the SF Bay Area, you absolutely owe it to yourself to stop in to High Performance House in Redwood City CA. Open normal business days, plus some Saturdays. He's got more 914 stuff than anyone I know of; one person I know who visited both Rich and George at AA said that Rich actually had more.

Nor Cal is PCA Zone 7. http://www.pca.org/Regions/RegionDirectory.aspx?Zone=7
So Cal is PCA Zone 8. http://www.pca.org/Regions/RegionDirectory.aspx?Zone=8

--DD
phillstek
Thanks for the suggestions so far, they are exactly what I was hoping for.

Shoe, I was hoping to find some time to come to Memphis, so we can discuss the finer points of your post to me in the ELGB thread! (joking)grouphug.gif

Tom, Thanks for the car rental info, very helpful. I'll keep all of that in mind and will probably in/out of LA.

Route 66 and Pomona sounds like fun and do-able.

What about auto museums and collections? Any ideas on those?

Thanks again.

Phil
RJMII

Are you wanting to stick to the left coast? How far away from LAX are you planning on wandering? Last year I went out to PA to hang out with Dr Evil and he took me to the antique auto museum in Hershey. (It's a few miles from the hershey swap meet already mentioned in the thread)

There is also the auto museum in Southern Colorado. There are quite a few 914 owners in the Denver area that like to get together and hang out whenever they can find an excuse to BBQ and drink beer. All of the ones I've met are alright and fun to visit with.

Renegade Hybrids in Vegas, since you'll be right by sin city for Rt 66. If you go to Vegas there's the old downtown area that has the video screens over the street and they play music and everyone looks up and watches the HUGE display.
auerbach
If you're coming to the east coast, drop me a line. Hershey is a must.
phillstek
Thanks to all so far for the tips.

Here's the thing, I originally planned to fly up to Portland after arriving in SF. I'd made an offer to buy the white 3.2 that Craig at Camp 914 has atm, then drive down 101 all the way to LA.

Sadly, the vendor decided not to sell his beautiful car (can't blame him really, neither would I if owned it). So the roadtrip down 101 ain't happening.

I've since been in contact with someone on other side of the country and depending on the negotation, I may end up going there to finalize a deal. I would definitely include the Hershey meet then and it would be further inspiration to make the effort to go east.

If that car doesn't eventuate, then I wll stay around the western states. If I can't find a car there that suits me, I will be looking for a 3.0-3.2 engine, a transmission with LSD, some rims, those seats that Craig sells, Mikey's rubbers, a clean roller etc etc.

I really appreciate the help on this, thanks again and please keep those suggestions coming.

Phil

p.s. If I knew how to do the "quote" thing I would address each suggestion individually, but thanks to everyone.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 1 2011, 10:55 PM) *

If you like 914s and will be in or near the SF Bay Area, you absolutely owe it to yourself to stop in to High Performance House in Redwood City CA. Open normal business days, plus some Saturdays. He's got more 914 stuff than anyone I know of; one person I know who visited both Rich and George at AA said that Rich actually had more.

Nor Cal is PCA Zone 7. http://www.pca.org/Regions/RegionDirectory.aspx?Zone=7
So Cal is PCA Zone 8. http://www.pca.org/Regions/RegionDirectory.aspx?Zone=8

--DD

piratenanner.gif agree.gif You have to see Rich Bontempi at HPH.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(phillstek @ Mar 1 2011, 08:22 PM) *

Thanks for the suggestions so far, they are exactly what I was hoping for.

Shoe, I was hoping to find some time to come to Memphis, so we can discuss the finer points of your post to me in the ELGB thread! (joking)grouphug.gif

Tom, Thanks for the car rental info, very helpful. I'll keep all of that in mind and will probably in/out of LA.

Route 66 and Pomona sounds like fun and do-able.

Thanks again.

Phil

You have to come to Hershey as that is where I will be. If you do show up at Hershey I will buy you dinner. Not to mention, there will be tons of awesome Porsches to see and lots of good bargins on parts. aktion035.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(phillstek @ Mar 2 2011, 03:21 AM) *

Here's the thing, I originally planned to fly up to Portland after arriving in SF. I'd made an offer to buy the white 3.2 that Craig at Camp 914 has atm, then drive down 101 all the way to LA.

Sadly, the vendor decided not to sell his beautiful car (can't blame him really, neither would I if owned it). So the roadtrip down 101 ain't happening.

I've since been in contact with someone on other side of the country and depending on the negotation, I may end up going there to finalize a deal. I would definitely include the Hershey meet then and it would be further inspiration to make the effort to go east.

If that car doesn't eventuate, then I wll stay around the western states. If I can't find a car there that suits me, I will be looking for a 3.0-3.2 engine, a transmission with LSD, some rims, those seats that Craig sells, Mikey's rubbers, a clean roller etc etc.

I really appreciate the help on this, thanks again and please keep those suggestions coming.

Phil

p.s. If I knew how to do the "quote" thing I would address each suggestion individually, but thanks to everyone.

Just click reply at the bottom of their post beside the quote box. poke.gif
pt_700
another suggestion for the s.f. bay area would be easy (european auto salvage yard) in emeryville, near oakland. got my sideshift conversion stuff there.

http://www.easypor.com/

there's also a cool auto museum in danville, about 45 min. east of s.f. called the blackhawk. not specifically porshce but, a lot of cool cars nonetheless.

http://www.blackhawkmuseum.org/

like old wartime stuff? it's ok to appreciate the machinery, even if one abhors what it's used for. might visit the hornet aircraft carrier in alameda, next to oakland.

http://www.uss-hornet.org/

cool train museum in sacramento.

http://www.csrmf.org/

sorry, getting a little off topic but, i think most of us on the forum are just gearheads at heart.

one more, on topic again. you might have seen on this forum but, there will be porsches in fontana in early april if you're still around.

http://www.yelp.com/events/fontana-9th-cal...che-track-event
underthetire
Isn't the McMark/Cone runner over Swap meet about that time? Napa is close to SF, and worth seeing.
RJMII

Highlight the statement you want to reply to, click on 'fast reply' and a box shows up underneath that says "Add selected text as quote". When you click on it, it shows up looking like this when you post.
Dr Evil
agree.gif Hershey! I'll be there.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(phillstek @ Mar 2 2011, 01:21 AM) *

Phil

This one is still available if you're still interested in something with a 3.2. You can check it out in the classified section.
phillstek
Highlight the statement you want to reply to, click on 'fast reply' and a box shows up underneath that says "Add selected text as quote". When you click on it, it shows up looking like this when you post

Ah like this, now I get it.

Phil
Eric_Shea
is usually sometime in April in Riverside

OK... I have issues.

We're hosting foreign dignitaries from another country in the good ole USofA and you're directing them to "Riverside"? Worse yet... a meeting with our AmbASSador "SLITS"???

WTF.gif are you thinking!!! We currently have good relations with the Aussies! ohmy.gif
phillstek
This one is still available if you're still interested in something with a 3.2. You can check it out in the classified section.

Ok, it's on the short list for serious consideration.
phillstek
You guys are so helpful, I only hope that some of you come to OZ so I can return the favor.

Hershey sounds like it must be included either way.

With all this info and the suggestions, the itinerary is starting to take shape nicely.

I would still appreciate any further advice though, so keep them coming

Thanks,

Phil

Tom_T
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 2 2011, 11:05 AM) *

is usually sometime in April in Riverside

OK... I have issues.

We're hosting foreign dignitaries from another country in the good ole USofA and you're directing them to "Riverside"? Worse yet... a meeting with our AmbASSador "SLITS"???

WTF.gif are you thinking!!! We currently have good relations with the Aussies! ohmy.gif

"Baptism by Fire"! lol-2.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(phillstek @ Mar 2 2011, 11:22 AM) *

You guys are so helpful, I only hope that some of you come to OZ so I can return the favor.

With all this info and the suggestions, the itinerary is starting to take shape nicely.

I would still appreciate any further advice though, so keep them coming

Thanks,

Phil

Our Rugby Club (Irvine Coast RFC) toured OZ in 1980! Great time & excellent hosts! beerchug.gif

Hey Phil - what was the character's name on the old Aussie Paul Hogan comedy TV show who was the loopy ex-Rugger with the scrum cap? confused24.gif
My half-zymers (where you remember half the shit half the time) kicked in the other day, when I was telling a guy about that show, which used to have replays here in the USA on PBS, & I couldn't recall it! blink.gif

That Paul Hogan show was funny as all get out - as is his UK mate Benny Hill, which is currently replaying on "Antenna TV" here in the US on Friday & Sat. evenings! Benny's is bawdy & a real trip back into the the era of our 914s!!! laugh.gif

OK - you asked about museums:

Peterson Automotive in LA

USS Midway & USMCAS Miramar Marine Corps Air Museums in San Diego

Balboa Air & Auto Museums in San Diego

Lyon Air & Auto Museum in Orange County (John Wayne Airport south of LA)

... & probably a few more that I'm half-zyming on at the moment! huh.gif

Also - the local LA, OC, Inland Empire (Riverside/San Bernardino), & San Diego areas' Prosche Clubs have regular local events every month, such as the Auto Club Track event noted above.

IIRC the San Diego Vintage Race & car show isn't until later in the year, but it's a great event held at the USN Air Base North Island on Coronado - if your trip ends up being a bit later on.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
phillstek
what was the character's name on the old Aussie Paul Hogan comedy TV show who was the loopy ex-Rugger with the scrum cap?

Was it Strop? Paul's sidekick?....here's a couple more of his characters for you... Leo Wanker, Luigi the Unbelievable etc etc that was when Hogan was funny. John Cornell played Strop and he ended up marrying Delvene (the obligatory bikini babe on the show) and bought the pub at Byron Bay.

Aussies are pretty used to roughing it so I'm pretty sure I could handle a barbie with Slits and crew. I wanted to try and catch up with Bruce (bdstone914) as well as he has helped me out with some parts, and I wanted to thank him in person. So I will be around Riverside at some stage.

phil
bernbomb914
contact me when you get to so cal I have 3 914s in various condition that I will sell. one is a roller 74 one is70 complete but has not started in long time and one74 has been restored.
scotty b
Maximize 914 content huh ? Come by my shop, wear your dirty clothes. I'll " maximize " your 914 content. You'll leave hating the rusty little terds, your wife will owe me lol-2.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 2 2011, 08:24 PM) *

Maximize 914 content huh ? Come by my shop, wear your dirty clothes. I'll " maximize " your 914 content. You'll leave hating the rusty little terds, your wife will owe me lol-2.gif

Damn Scotty, you done gone and mutilated another one! Sure hope you get that out of your system before you start on mine.
hot_shoe914
Bargins galore in Hershey. Wish I'd had more money with me last year when I went. Still brought home a bunch of goodies for very little money.

hydroliftin
Check out Targa California, April 7-9. Lots of air cooled porches and 900 miles of back roads in 3 days.

http://www.sportscardigest.com/targa-calif...11-information/
Tom_T
QUOTE(phillstek @ Mar 2 2011, 03:23 PM) *

what was the character's name on the old Aussie Paul Hogan comedy TV show who was the loopy ex-Rugger with the scrum cap?

Was it Strop? Paul's sidekick?....here's a couple more of his characters for you... Leo Wanker, Luigi the Unbelievable etc etc that was when Hogan was funny. John Cornell played Strop and he ended up marrying Delvene (the obligatory bikini babe on the show) and bought the pub at Byron Bay.

Aussies are pretty used to roughing it so I'm pretty sure I could handle a barbie with Slits and crew. I wanted to try and catch up with Bruce (bdstone914) as well as he has helped me out with some parts, and I wanted to thank him in person. So I will be around Riverside at some stage.

phil

agree.gif ... Hogan at his best, before he went "Hollywood" & all that entails!

Yea, it was Strop! I'd forgotten about Wanker & hot Delvene too! biggrin.gif

Talking of obligatory babes on the shows like that - I'd forgotten how scantly clad
Benny Hill's hotties were until watching them again recently - hot for even today's standards on TV!! blink.gif

Bruce has a booth at G&R, but last year it was in late April - don't know about this year. Bruce is local in Riverside though, so I'm sure you can hook up with him while you're here.

Ron's okay......most of the time......well, we had a nice chat at the GPR Tri-tip BBQ & Sale in Sept. anyway! biggrin.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
sean_v8_914
fdhfht
phillstek
Got the tickets booked today! Arriving in LA 04-18-11 and departing LA 05-04-11. Going to play it by ear re: itinerary, apart from a couple small road trips.

Don't think I'll go to Hershey as the airfare is crazy money,plus I don't think I can handle another 5 hour flight each way on top of the 14 hours each way from here.

Phil
Tom_T
Good on ya Phil! biggrin.gif

I'll be here in SoCal for the 4/18-22 part - along with my brother's family visiting 4/20-24, but then I go to Oklahoma, Georgia & Texas 4/23 - 5/5. You have my cell #, so call if you want to get together during the first part Mate!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Jeffs9146
No 914 content but if you decide you want to have some unique entertainment let me know and I will send you a pass to my get into my business in Hollywood, CA!

The first is The Magic Castle, a private club for magicians that is very exclusive! (coat and tie only for the men) It is a block away from The Acadamy Awards Theater and Manns Chinese Theater where the Stars Walk of Fame and the hand prints are! www.magiccastle.com

Next door we have a hotel www.magiccastlehotel.com it is very centraly located in Hollywood and very highly rated on www.tripadvisor.com

At the top of the hill 250 feet above Hollywood Blvd we have the Yamashiro Restaurant www.yamashirorestaurant.com which is a famous place to hang out and take in the views of Hollywood and the surrounding areas from above with a nice drink and some tasty Asian Fusion food!

PM me if you want more info!

Jeff

QUOTE(phillstek @ Apr 1 2011, 07:38 PM) *

Got the tickets booked today! Arriving in LA 04-18-11 and departing LA 05-04-11. Going to play it by ear re: itinerary, apart from a couple small road trips.

Don't think I'll go to Hershey as the airfare is crazy money,plus I don't think I can handle another 5 hour flight each way on top of the 14 hours each way from here.

Phil

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.