Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

69 Pages V « < 53 54 55 56 57 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just another damned project thread, 914-6 3.2 conversion in GT dress-up
edrotol
post Oct 8 2016, 10:49 PM
Post #1081

edrotol

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,910
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(edrotol @ Oct 8 2016, 09:48 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 3 2016, 06:21 PM) *

Ok, I'm back on the Euro Rear Fog Light which we have affectionately dubbed the "Garvey Light" after Pat Garvey who objects vehemently to anything that didn't come on the car as new. Pat has the original air in his tires I'm told! We love you Pat! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

So, the mounts are the main problem when you decide to add the Factory Rear Fog Light. If you search the subject you'll find discussion of the outer being available but the inner NLA. Well, the discussion is from 2007-8 so none are available from Porsche anymore. The lights themselves are available through Just Kampers in the UK and the wiring harness can be had by contacting Jeff Bowlsby.

Here are Tom Blizznik's project drawings. Tom supplied me with the light and the outer mount. I am going to have a half dozen of the outer mounts reproduced and a half dozen + 1 (for me) of the inner mounts produced. The extras will be available through PMB Performance once they are done.

The question is, is a half dozen of each mount going to be enough? How much interest is there in this

I can volunteer a never installed ORIGINAL FACTORY REAR FOGLIGHT including the 2 metal pieces (no bolts), the rear fog light (with bulb), and a factory issued wiring harness.
I have yet to determine once and for all what switch is used and where is the switch located. Another subject to ponder.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 8 2016, 11:35 PM
Post #1082

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Edrotol,
I believe the factory fog light dash switch is used. Can you check and see what bulb is used?

Not using it? Send it to me!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 10 2016, 09:31 PM
Post #1083

Apex killer!

Just an update. Today, I dropped off the inner and outer mount at the fabrication shop. The plan is for him to model it in Solidworks and send it out for production. I asked for 20 each, inner and outer but if it cost the same to do 200? We will see...
once these are produced, I don't want to deal with it. I will be sending them to Eric Shea at PMB Performance and you can buy them from him. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Dion
post Oct 10 2016, 10:32 PM
Post #1084

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If there is a "list" of wanna be's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I'm in for a set of the brackets. Thanks
Rob for doing this.
Cheers,Dion
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 23 2016, 04:24 PM
Post #1085

Apex killer!

Lazy weekend before going back to work...

But I thought I should get something done. I had an extra set of seats that I was going to recover using a set of 914Rubber.com reupholstery kits. Turns out I have two driver seats. Well, in this car, that will not do. So, I put an ad in the Classified section for FTGH (Free To Good Home) and Joe from Carson City came up to get them. But when we talked, he asked if I needed anything. Why yes, yes I do!

Now, I'm using my original seats to recover.

McMark had pointed out that I had an Appearance Group Heat Control Lever in the car. Makes sense since the car was originally an Appearance Group car. Well, now, it isn't. So I asked and Joe had a regular lever. It was in darn good shape too but just for shits and giggles, I took it apart, cleaned up all the surfaces with some 0000 steel wool and put a little grease on the bushings to make it move smoothly. Here it is! I'll be installing it in a few minutes...

I know, I know... The red lever handle was all faded out so I put in a another 914Rubber.com order. Handle goes on next time I'm home! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 23 2016, 04:27 PM
Post #1086

Apex killer!

Oh, and I had breakfast with Eric Shea this morning as he was driving through Reno on his way back to Sandy... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 25 2016, 01:25 PM
Post #1087

Apex killer!

And, installed! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 4 2016, 05:08 PM
Post #1088

Apex killer!

I should have these in - in a few minutes. These are my original seats recovered in a late kit from 914Rubber.com. This is a from the original kit supplier that Mark used. I can easily see why he no longer uses them. This had to be completely reworked. The side bolsters were sewed too wide. The head rest had a cutting flaw. The side bolsters were seam ripped and re-sewn smaller. The head rests were completely thrown out and made new. Now, they're pretty much perfect...

As I said, 914Rubber has a new supplier so buy with confidence. These problems have been taken care of. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 6 2016, 08:39 AM
Post #1089

Apex killer!

Sorry for such a late post after saying I'd have them in in a few minutes. Sometimes I have to go to work to get time to post! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 6 2016, 09:54 AM
Post #1090

Apex killer!

QUOTE(edrotol @ Oct 9 2016, 01:49 AM) *

Ok, I'm back on the Euro Rear Fog Light which we have affectionately dubbed the "Garvey Light" after Pat Garvey who objects vehemently to anything that didn't come on the car as new. Pat has the original air in his tires I'm told! We love you Pat! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

So, the mounts are the main problem when you decide to add the Factory Rear Fog Light. If you search the subject you'll find discussion of the outer being available but the inner NLA. Well, the discussion is from 2007-8 so none are available from Porsche anymore. The lights themselves are available through Just Kampers in the UK and the wiring harness can be had by contacting Jeff Bowlsby.

Here are Tom Blizznik's project drawings. Tom supplied me with the light and the outer mount. I am going to have a half dozen of the outer mounts reproduced and a half dozen + 1 (for me) of the inner mounts produced. The extras will be available through PMB Performance once they are done.

The question is, is a half dozen of each mount going to be enough? How much interest is there in this

I can volunteer a never installed ORIGINAL FACTORY REAR FOGLIGHT including the 2 metal pieces (no bolts), the rear fog light (with bulb), and a factory issued wiring harness.
I have yet to determine once and for all what switch is used and where is the switch located. Another subject to ponder.

Update on the reproduction factory mounts for the rear fog light:

I got a bid for 20 of each and it was pretty much astronomical. I had them reduce it to 10 and 10. They should be done pretty soon. Once they are done, I'll send them on to PMB and you can order them through Eric. At 10 and 10 they probably will sell out. 20 and 20 might linger. Bottom line is jump on it when I tell you they are here because they won't last long. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Dec 6 2016, 02:41 PM
Post #1091

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 6 2016, 10:54 AM) *

QUOTE(edrotol @ Oct 9 2016, 01:49 AM) *

Update on the reproduction factory mounts for the rear fog light:

I got a bid for 20 of each and it was pretty much astronomical. I had them reduce it to 10 and 10. They should be done pretty soon. Once they are done, I'll send them on to PMB and you can order them through Eric. At 10 and 10 they probably will sell out. 20 and 20 might linger. Bottom line is jump on it when I tell you they are here because they won't last long. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Hi Rob,
Good news the rear Fog (Garvey) Light installation is moving forward (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I like the idea the brackets are fabricated in small quantity making it special (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) A little history how my Fog Light accessory got started, Wolfgang is the culprit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) when I learned he had one to send me from Germany. I researched both German and US ones and learned they were somewhat different. Both are correct in my opinion, but flame me if I am wrong. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) After I sourced a lot of duplicates and selected NOS items then getting the wire harness from Bowlsey I was ready to install. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) I somehow got Pat Garvey's attention when I said I was drilling (3) holes into the rear panel to install. Pat had a "Hisssy Fit" and the rest is history. So that's why we call it a Garvey Accessory (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) History will be kind to Pat when he admits only the Kool Kids have one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Tom (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 6 2016, 02:54 PM
Post #1092

Apex killer!

TBlizz,
Thanks for the history lesson! Pat has made great contributions to our originality knowledge base. I think he has his tongue in his cheek when he chides us. As much as he values originality, he understands automotive self-expression.

I'm excited to get this thing on the car and join the Kool kids! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 11 2017, 06:32 PM
Post #1093

Apex killer!

So, I had a couple boxes from 914Rubber waiting when I got home. I'd be in the garage installing if it wasn't for the 42 hours it took to get home from work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) damned atmospheric river! On top of that, I went through a puddle up at South Lake Tahoe and now I have a check engine light... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

First up is the reproduction foglight grills. Mine are nice but these will be a nice addition to the Original Customs fabricated GT front bumper.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 11 2017, 06:35 PM
Post #1094

Apex killer!

Next is the LED headlight kit 914Rubber is offering. I've gone to the trouble of replacing all the other lights except fogs with LED by Jerry so this seems like a natural step in the process.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 11 2017, 07:10 PM
Post #1095

Apex killer!

A closer look at this kit...

The housing: the bezel itself is a little flatter than a stock sealed beam. Not really news to those who have used the H4 before as it is just an H4 housing.
As you can see, it has spring clips to hold the bulb in place...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 11 2017, 07:12 PM
Post #1096

Apex killer!

This is the bulb. It actually contains a fan to keep the whole mess cool.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 11 2017, 07:13 PM
Post #1097

Apex killer!

Bulb installed.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 11 2017, 07:13 PM
Post #1098

Apex killer!

Ballast installed.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 11 2017, 07:15 PM
Post #1099

Apex killer!

Tomorrow, I'll install them. I'm just too beat from all of that effort to get home from work to do it tonight!

Oh! And these are parts that you don't use. They are valuable to the guys that want to use the H4 bulbs so don't just throw them out!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 17 2017, 01:37 PM
Post #1100

Apex killer!

Comparison, left is the H4 sealed beam I installed ten years ago. Right is the LED's Mark is wanting me to test. I'd say we have a winner!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

69 Pages V « < 53 54 55 56 57 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:40 AM