Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

69 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just another damned project thread, 914-6 3.2 conversion in GT dress-up
Mike Bellis
post Jul 29 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #121

Resident Electrician

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

HEY!

Get this thing running already!

I wanna see it go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 30 2011, 08:33 AM
Post #122

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Jake,
Any idea what kind of vacuum I can expect?
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Jul 30 2011, 12:21 PM
Post #123

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 29 2011, 03:38 PM) *

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jul 29 2011, 11:00 AM) *

Hey, I want one of those vents for mine...can't wait to plug off those pesky head lines....how can I get one??

John,
You may be able to get one by contacting sixnotfour here on the site. He is the machinist who made it up for me...

TPS tuning only may be a problem for me. I have homes in both Sacramento (sea level) and Reno (4500 feet above sea level). I work in Reno.

Is it possible to tune with with MAP for 10% of throttle and then TPS with SDS? I don't think my cam is as radical as yours either John. I am running the same cam that was in my 2270 Raby Kit.

I like your oil lines but the PCA rules are precisely why I don't do TT with them. Sac Valley Region cuddles up with Trackmasters for DE and they don't have the rules. If I were to do a PCA TT I would have to use my 36 year old stock seatbelts instead of my competition belts... I am a dedicated PCA member but I can't see how that is safer than the 'compromise' of using competition belts without shoulder belt guides or whatever reason they disallow them.

Hmmmm.....I'm interested to know what the altitude does to TPS only sensing--I'll be up maybe 1000' at Summit Point and am at flat sea level here. Also, if you're doing only street driving, I think if you keep it in closed loop, it's going to adjust to 14:1 AFR automatically anyway. What do people with carbs do about altitude change? Are you going to be tracking or AX at the higher altitude?

I just put a vacuum guage on my car with the restrictor & taking the signal from the 4 into 1 manifold--sure enough at idle it rattles the needle like crazy and runs from 6" to 11" vacuum between idle and 2500rpm & no load, less needle jumping at the higher rpm ranges though. Only time the vacuum went above 15" was revving up and then slamming the throttle shut. Be interested to see what Jake offers about the vacuum on yours.

On the oil lines, I'm actually glad to get the push from PCA to upgrade them, & I guess the same goes for the seat restraints--they need to be part of a system & if not guided properly, the 5-point setup won't do what we would hope. Sooo...I'm in the market for a pair of racing seats, too. As it is, I left the OEM 3-point belts in and let the instructor take his choice--he chose the 5-point as did I....
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 30 2011, 01:34 PM
Post #124

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jul 30 2011, 11:21 AM) *

Hmmmm.....I'm interested to know what the altitude does to TPS only sensing--I'll be up maybe 1000' at Summit Point and am at flat sea level here.

TPS sensing cannot adjust to barometric pressure changes. If you tune for sea level and drive up 1000' it will run worse. If you go higher it will run even worse. AFR is based on air density and air gets less dense the higher you go.

Also, if you're doing only street driving, I think if you keep it in closed loop, it's going to adjust to 14:1 AFR automatically anyway. What do people with carbs do about altitude change?

14.7:1 is stioch. Stoich is only good under light load. at cruise and idle you can go leaner without trouble and preserve gas milage. Under heavy load you want the mixture to go rich to make maximum power.

In my system (Haltech) I have 2 MAP sensors. The onboard is for barometric correction. This allows the system to compensate for the less dense air at altitude and cut back on fuel. The other MAP is monitoring manifold pressure. as my boost increases the system dumps in more fuel. Guys with carbs usually go to smaller jets at altitude. This causes a lean condition at sea level. Then you swap in larger jets. EFI is so much easier...
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 11 2011, 11:41 AM
Post #125

Apex killer!

So life has kept us busy lately... New Victoracers have had me out autocrossing every event I can find and McMark has been SWAMPED at his shop. But some progress is being made. Actually, we are so close it is just a matter of having the two of us in the same place at the same time really...

McMark built me a custom fuel line to feed the driver side injectors. I always hated that fuel line running across the engine thing and apparently McMark did too. I think he reads my mind sometimes because I didn't specifically ask for this.

Check out these custom lines... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 28 2011, 09:38 PM
Post #126

Apex killer!

Time for an update. Mark has pretty much everything mocked up and nearly ready to fire on the stand with the SDS EFI. Here are a few pictures Mark has posted both on his site and on Facebook. Notice at the back of the engine toward the flywheel, you have the vacuum plenum with lines coming from each runner of the intake. This may or may not work. We have had much debate over the MAP sensor and I honestly don't know what kind of vacuum to expect. Also notice McMark's attention to detail. He bent up fuel line to run fuel across to the driver side ITB's but he didn't stop there. He then sent the lines out to have them zinc plated. Very cool! The custom harness is all connected in the third picture.

This engine will go in the car within the next two weeks. Are you guys ready? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Sep 28 2011, 09:47 PM
Post #127

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Is that Grey Shrink tube? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) or just the way it looks in the photo?
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 28 2011, 11:03 PM
Post #128

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Any thought to what happens to the fuel line if the fan belt breaks? It'd suck to have a high-pressure fuel leak from that.

--DD
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 28 2011, 11:11 PM
Post #129

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

When was the last time you heard of a fan belt breaking? That line is steel, it's gonna take more than a fan belt to crack it open.
+Quote Post
Valy
post Sep 28 2011, 11:13 PM
Post #130

Member No.: 11,573

I like the fuel rails you have. Do they accept the newer injectors without the hose?
Who makes them and where can I buy them?
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 29 2011, 07:09 AM
Post #131

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Valy @ Sep 28 2011, 09:13 PM) *

I like the fuel rails you have. Do they accept the newer injectors without the hose?
Who makes them and where can I buy them?

Fuel rails are custom built by McMark at Original Customs. He can make them for you... As to your other questions, he will have to answer. I don't know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 29 2011, 07:11 AM
Post #132

Apex killer!

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 28 2011, 07:47 PM) *

Is that Grey Shrink tube? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) or just the way it looks in the photo?

I think it is grey Rick. harness is custom built by Mark so he would have to tell you the source... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 29 2011, 11:17 AM
Post #133

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 28 2011, 10:11 PM) *

When was the last time you heard of a fan belt breaking? That line is steel, it's gonna take more than a fan belt to crack it open.

Haven't heard of one in a long while. Still, low-probability high-consequence... But if you're confident that a flailing fan belt won't break the line, then I'll believe you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thrown belts are more likely, but they don't flail around in my experience.

--DD
+Quote Post
MartyYeoman
post Sep 29 2011, 01:22 PM
Post #134

Member No.: 839

QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 28 2011, 10:11 PM) *

I broke one back in '94. Can happen.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Sep 29 2011, 01:44 PM
Post #135

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 28 2011, 08:38 PM) *

Time for an update. Mark has pretty much everything mocked up and nearly ready to fire on the stand with the SDS EFI. Here are a few pictures Mark has posted both on his site and on Facebook. Notice at the back of the engine toward the flywheel, you have the vacuum plenum with lines coming from each runner of the intake. This may or may not work. We have had much debate over the MAP sensor and I honestly don't know what kind of vacuum to expect. Also notice McMark's attention to detail. He bent up fuel line to run fuel across to the driver side ITB's but he didn't stop there. He then sent the lines out to have them zinc plated. Very cool! The custom harness is all connected in the third picture.

This engine will go in the car within the next two weeks. Are you guys ready? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

Hope to see you down at the Marina at one of the events there.

BTW where did you and Mark hide the fuel filter?
+Quote Post
hydroliftin
post Sep 29 2011, 02:17 PM
Post #136

Member No.: 7,180

I want to see it? When is the next pancake fest?
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 29 2011, 09:42 PM
Post #137

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 29 2011, 11:44 AM) *

Randal,
I have one of those Fram canister filters just the the passenger side of where the fuel lines exit the tunnel in the engine room. That and the stock one up front. Fuel can't be too clean you know... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 30 2011, 07:13 AM
Post #138

Apex killer!

QUOTE(hydroliftin @ Sep 29 2011, 12:17 PM) *

The Bay Area Breakfast is a couple hundred miles for me... I made it a couple times over the years but that was from Sacramento when it was only a hundred miles... I do wander the autocross circuit when I have the weekend off and a place to stay... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Valy
post Sep 30 2011, 10:04 AM
Post #139

Member No.: 11,573

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 30 2011, 06:13 AM) *

QUOTE(hydroliftin @ Sep 29 2011, 12:17 PM) *

The Bay Area Breakfast is a couple hundred miles for me... I made it a couple times over the years but that was from Sacramento when it was only a hundred miles... I do wander the autocross circuit when I have the weekend off and a place to stay... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Maybe you should change your location in the signature... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Sep 30 2011, 10:39 AM
Post #140

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 29 2011, 08:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 29 2011, 11:44 AM) *

Randal,
I have one of those Fram canister filters just the the passenger side of where the fuel lines exit the tunnel in the engine room. That and the stock one up front. Fuel can't be too clean you know... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I've been really happy with my System 1 filter. No issues at all. Mine is mounted up front by the fuel cell, next to the Marren fuel pump. When I cleaned it last month I was surprised how much stuff it had collected. I mean stuff that would have ruined the injectors.

BTW when we went on the dyno with my motor we ended up using the TPS for determining the base line. If I remember correctly the other option, i.e., vacuum didn't work. Must have been something to do with the fairly aggressive configuration.
+Quote Post

69 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 06:14 PM